• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Sgarrista
Commissario
Highly regretting going for the Glacial board now.

Not only was it a monumental pain to set up and tube up, its now telling me it has a leak detected.

There is no leak.

System auto shuts down after 5 seconds, as far as I can see no way to override it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
That AVX512 BIOS update will be because Intel don't want current ADL taking the limelight away from the new chips with VX512 out the box. Whilst disabling E cores to get AVX512 is possible, you only gain in apps that utilise those instructions. So mostly only productivity far as I can see. You lose more by disabling the ecores anyway as they are more important in day to day and keeping games running better as the ecores take over background app usage etc.

I don't see it as an issue not having AVX512 for the vast majority of people.

Soldato

Not only was it a monumental pain to set up and tube up, its now telling me it has a leak detected.

There is no leak.

System auto shuts down after 5 seconds, as far as I can see no way to override it.

The leak detection rings are embedded around the block inlet and outlets. If there’s any water across those points, it’ll register as a leak. I'm not sure if there's an override or not. Look in the monitoring section of the UEFI where the fan speed reporting options can be disabled. If there’s any toggle for the block, that’s where it should be.

Last edited:
Soldato
Intel showcases PCIe 5.0 SSDs reaching 13.7 GB/s on Alder Lake system, 28.3 GB/s in pair

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-s...7-gb-s-on-alder-lake-system-28-3-gb-s-in-pair

Looking forward to purchase/install a gen 5 SSD in my system, hopefully we don't have to wait too long. For those interested how, it differs by motherboard manufacuter, though on the ASUS ROG boards you use an included M.2 add in card. Here's an example of mine for scale (I highlighted this in the red box)

G2linMW.jpg

Note it's fully metal, looks quite nice when installed too. Will have to run the PCI-Ev5 lanes at x8/x8 for the M.2 to work at gen5 speeds, though as gen5 x8 is the same speed as gen4 x16, which no GPU's saturate, there'll be no performance loss.

Soldato
Understand, sorry for letting you know that. But felt obliged to at least inform you. They are trying to fix it with a BIOS update and it could work. For some reason each and every time the P cores will not go back to what they should do, they are erratic at their maximum core speeds. They are not at defaults, nor are they at their maximum set. The E cores will just keep at 3.8Ghz. IIRC when I set the E Cores to 4Ghz they would still only return to 3.8Ghz after sleep.

If they resolve that issue, for me anyway, it would have been a keeper. For those not using the sleep function they would never notice. But I use that, a lot. I got an email from MSI this very morning that they have a beta (I assume) BIOS for me to test on that board, but I can't as I no longer have it.

I assume that it is on every board as they can replicate it.

I could tell you of another smaller issue I noted with the board, but I can already feel a pointy thing between my shoulders :D

Thought you might like to know a new bios was released on that forum you linked to, that fixes the sleep problem.

Tried it and it works.

Thanks a lot for the help, so far its been a great board for me.

You got any tips/links on how to OC this, I haven't a clue between gear one, two etc! I'd just like to get a modest 5 Ghz on all cores if possible.

Soldato
Wonder if it is an error or if it actually manages to go more than twice the speed when installed as a pair, usually there exists some loss in the various overheads, rather than an increase.

Sgarrista
Commissario
The leak detection rings are embedded around the block inlet and outlets. If there’s any water across those points, it’ll register as a leak. I'm not sure if there's an override or not. Look in the monitoring section of the UEFI where the fan speed reporting options can be disabled. If there’s any toggle for the block, that’s where it should be.

Yea there is 100% no leak. I even pressurized the system upto 0.75 bar and its held there overnight with not a single drop of liquid anywhere to be seen.

Going to be an absolute pain to disconnect the waterblock connection to get into the bios and check if the detection can be removed.

Soldato
Thought you might like to know a new bios was released on that forum you linked to, that fixes the sleep problem.

Tried it and it works.

Thanks a lot for the help, so far its been a great board for me.

You got any tips/links on how to OC this, I haven't a clue between gear one, two etc! I'd just like to get a modest 5 Ghz on all cores if possible.

Great stuff, glad it worked. Perhaps leave them some feedback there to tell them that you have tested it out ok..? I have told them I no longer have the board.

Yup, I thought that it is a great feature packed board, very good price compared to others also. Sad to see it go. If I could have been assured that it was a fix that they could do I would have stuck with it. Felt kinda compromised with a two weeks window to return / exchange for a different type.

IIRC I got up to 5.1Ghz for the P and then 4Ghz for the E cores, at their highest. That, for me, was perfectly stable but I did have to apply a negative offset to the adaptive vcore voltage. It seems that most boards have a tendency to over volt the vcore without a negative value applied for the adaptive offset. That offset, ymmv, was -0.06v.
I also had LLC set to Mode 4.
There are more elegant / different ways of doing the above and each setup is somewhat different. But the above worked for me with my 12700k.
Without that offset the 12700k does run toasty in some full load settings.

My memory just worked fine with XMP settings.

Gear 1 means 1:1 between the memory controller and the speed of your RAM. So 3200Mhz RAM will run the controller at 3200Mhz
Gear 2 means 1:2 where the memory controller will be half the speed of your RAM. So 3200Mhz RAM will run that controller at 1600Mhz.

Soldato
Yea there is 100% no leak. I even pressurized the system upto 0.75 bar and its held there overnight with not a single drop of liquid anywhere to be seen.

Going to be an absolute pain to disconnect the waterblock connection to get into the bios and check if the detection can be removed.

I’ve not heard anyone else with the issue but the boards are certainly not plentiful in the wild.

perhaps try some compressed air around the ports / orings. It might be a drop that’s bridging the contacts (looks like a bearing). You shouldn’t need to take it apart as the sensors surround the barbs.

Last edited:
Sgarrista
Commissario
I’ve not heard anyone else with the issue but the boards are certainly not plentiful in the wild.

perhaps try some compressed air around the ports / orings. It might be a drop that’s bridging the contacts (looks like a bearing). You shouldn’t need to take it apart as the sensors surround the barbs.

No luck already tried this. I made myself a little hook that managed to pull the cable out, and its booted up, no option anywhere to disable the leak detection in bios. So have lost the monitoring from those sensors but I guess it is what it is.

Soldato
Great stuff, glad it worked. Perhaps leave them some feedback there to tell them that you have tested it out ok..? I have told them I no longer have the board.

Yup, I thought that it is a great feature packed board, very good price compared to others also. Sad to see it go. If I could have been assured that it was a fix that they could do I would have stuck with it. Felt kinda compromised with a two weeks window to return / exchange for a different type.

IIRC I got up to 5.1Ghz for the P and then 4Ghz for the E cores, at their highest. That, for me, was perfectly stable but I did have to apply a negative offset to the adaptive vcore voltage. It seems that most boards have a tendency to over volt the vcore without a negative value applied for the adaptive offset. That offset, ymmv, was -0.06v.
I also had LLC set to Mode 4.
There are more elegant / different ways of doing the above and each setup is somewhat different. But the above worked for me with my 12700k.
Without that offset the 12700k does run toasty in some full load settings.

My memory just worked fine with XMP settings.

Gear 1 means 1:1 between the memory controller and the speed of your RAM. So 3200Mhz RAM will run the controller at 3200Mhz
Gear 2 means 1:2 where the memory controller will be half the speed of your RAM. So 3200Mhz RAM will run that controller at 1600Mhz.

I'll have to register an account!

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a go, hoping not to have to increase the voltage too much, I've seen some posts where people have got 5Ghz+ with less voltage than I'm using at the moment.

Soldato
@Kelt - I leave feedback there then, no worries I have an account.

That's why overclocking is an individual thing. You might find that you can get it stable with heavy load at 5.1Ghz all core, or thereabouts, and then not be that stable with much less load. As noted those leaving your vcore at default and noticing that voltage doesn't necessarily mean it needs that. As mentioned vcore is often over volted by default, well at least that is what I have found.

I think that this is my more recent one showing the vcore setting of around 1.284v under full load.

I can't remember exactly but leaving it at default vcore for 5.1 and LLC of mode 4 and it was around 1.38v or more and then throttling the cores due to the heat.

You should not need to increase the voltage, but in effect to decrease it..!

Soldato
@Kelt - I leave feedback there then, no worries I have an account.

That's why overclocking is an individual thing. You might find that you can get it stable with heavy load at 5.1Ghz all core, or thereabouts, and then not be that stable with much less load. As noted those leaving your vcore at default and noticing that voltage doesn't necessarily mean it needs that. As mentioned vcore is often over volted by default, well at least that is what I have found.

I think that this is my more recent one showing the vcore setting of around 1.284v under full load.

I can't remember exactly but leaving it at default vcore for 5.1 and LLC of mode 4 and it was around 1.38v or more and then throttling the cores due to the heat.

You should not need to increase the voltage, but in effect to decrease it..!

Yeh, OC'ing varies so much from system to system, even with identical product.

Thanks for updating the MSI forum. :)

V F

V F

Soldato

There is no leak.

This is Asus? When did they have a leak detection system? I thought this was only Gigabyte... Who has a very sensitive system built into their blocks.

The fittings from EK are known to squeeze the circuit rings and shut it off as a false leak. Unless one gets the 7mm mini extenders so the fittings sit in between the rings or keep loosening the fittings until it no longer shuts it down. I never knew it was an Asus issue though...

Sgarrista
Commissario
Just had a quick play, able to get synced all core P-cores at 5.5ghz happy and stable, all E-cores synced 4.1 stable. Max CPU temp was 90 degrees under full load.

1.35 on the vcore though.

For some reaosn AIDA memory bench is coming back with 0's on everything, any ideas?

Soldato
Just had a quick play, able to get synced all core P-cores at 5.5ghz happy and stable, all E-cores synced 4.1 stable. Max CPU temp was 90 degrees under full load.

1.35 on the vcore though.

For some reaosn AIDA memory bench is coming back with 0's on everything, any ideas?

Old version, download latest :)

Back
Top Bottom