• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Associate
And it can sustain that performance at 65watts indefinitely without throttling etc?

Intel platforms don’t throttle unless you hit tjmax or some other limit you might have set like amps etc. anyone with good experience on intel will know to max those out before tuning anyhow.

The only way you can make it throttle in the amd sense is by using TVB (thermal velocity boost) to do a waterfall oc setup but that only looks good on paper due to how windows scheduling works and doesn’t manage it well.

Good timing as out of curiosity I bought the thermalright bracket. Firstly I checked my cpu and it wasn’t bent in any way. Secondly with the bracket fitted there is zero difference in temps.

This doesn’t appear to be a universal issue.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Hmm well my temps have been low since day 1 so if one day I get a TG Frame, I know my temps are likely to end up being even lower still so that's good news at least. I am unlikely to change anything until 13th/14th gen though so Freezer II will remain in place for quite some time yet. I think my application of the grizzly paste has filled in any deviation in contact gaps between the AIO block and the IHS which has resulted in good levels of thermal transfer.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I have the Gaming X - No major issues with it, depending on the RAM you have, there might be some issues running it at 3600MHz out of the box so may need to tweak voltages/RAM settings etc as per previous posts in the thread. Otherwise a fine board.

Soldato
@cjgardens take a look at this thread, some comments there about that board, and an MSI one....

Soldato
Thanks chaps
Do you think the gaming x is a good buy, used £100 or would you get something else? I don't really have a budget as such, just don't like spending more than I need to.

I only game but I do like overclocking.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pulled the trigger on the gaming x for £105 to my door.

Hunt for a CPU before I buy new.

Do they come with stock cooler? I plan on going water when I get a new GPU but I'll have to run stock until then.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I have not looked at overclocking so can't say, if you like tinkering then sure, it's a robust board with the power phase to support it but tinkering is the key word I guess. My 12700KF did not come with a cooler!

Soldato
I have not looked at overclocking so can't say, if you like tinkering then sure, it's a robust board with the power phase to support it but tinkering is the key word I guess. My 12700KF did not come with a cooler!

I didn't really want to buy a cooler, especially when I'll eventually be on water, do the 12700kf clock better?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
12700K vs KF is that the F just has no onboard GFX - Makes next to no difference on anything else outside of GPU video encoding using the Intel instructions in certain apps like Adobe Premier. I use Nvidia GPU acceleration for all video editing needs so this didn't bother me one bit.

I didn't think any of the 12th gen actually came with a cooler in fact. Mine was a retail from OcUK and didn't come with one. You can always buy the cheap cooler anyway though.

Last edited:
Soldato
12700K vs KF is that the F just has no onboard GFX - Makes next to no difference on anything else outside of GPU video encoding using the Intel instructions in certain apps like Adobe Premier. I use GPU acceleration for all video editing needs so this didn't bother me one bit.

I didn't think any of the 12th gen actually came with a cooler in fact. Mine was a retail from OcUK and didn't come with one. You can always buy the cheap cooler anyway though.

I'm not upto date with this new tech.

If you bought retail and no cooler, looks like I'll have to get one for now. Or just get a block and sort the loop out when I get a GPU.

Associate
Yeah, seems that golden cove has double the efficiency of zen 3 or roundabout, yet people claim the opposite. Then you ask them to actually run a cbr23 to compare and they disappear. No clue whats going on
I compared my 6P cores from 12600K at 4ghz 0,835Vcore with 5600X 4ghz 0,95Vcore
The resoult:

ADL 49W 12425 CB R23 MT
5600X 55W 10200 CB R23 MT

5600X to match my 49W score would need to be seriously OCed 100W+

Soldato
I'm not upto date with this new tech.

Well be careful, as most people don't seem to understand just how powerful the iGPU can be when used in applications like Premier Pro alongside their dedicated main GPU. If you run the Puget Benchmark for the 12700KF vs K the uplift is as much as 25-30% depending on your memory subsystem, and what is being done. It's worth spending like £10-20 more to get it than not, allows you an output if you need to switch out GPU's as well.

Here's a direct quote from Puget just for reference.

"As a side-note, people disabling onboard graphics (and thus disabling Quick Sync) is one of the primary reasons why reviews and end users sometimes see lower performance in Premiere Pro than what we show in our articles. Without understanding the ins and outs of the applications they are testing, it can be very easy to disable (or fail to enable, depending on the motherboard) features like Quick Sync that are critical for getting the best performance in Premiere Pro."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom