• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Soldato
Well be careful, as most people don't seem to understand just how powerful the iGPU can be when used in applications like Premier Pro alongside their dedicated main GPU. If you run the Puget Benchmark for the 12700KF vs K the uplift is as much as 25-30% depending on your memory subsystem, and what is being done. It's worth spending like £10-20 more to get it than not, allows you an output if you need to switch out GPU's as well.

Here's a direct quote from Puget just for reference.

"As a side-note, people disabling onboard graphics (and thus disabling Quick Sync) is one of the primary reasons why reviews and end users sometimes see lower performance in Premiere Pro than what we show in our articles. Without understanding the ins and outs of the applications they are testing, it can be very easy to disable (or fail to enable, depending on the motherboard) features like Quick Sync that are critical for getting the best performance in Premiere Pro."

Will it make any difference in games. That's all I do.

Man of Honour
OP
I see no difference in games as I use GeForce Experience which has zero impact on fps when capturing games at native res. Sure it's only a £30 max saving, but it's not a feature I have ever used in production workloads or anything and I use my main rig for work and play. Always used dedicated GPU acceleration in editing apps (Davinci Resolve etc) which don't rely on Quick Sync/iGPU.

Soldato
Always used dedicated GPU acceleration in editing apps (Davinci Resolve etc) which don't rely on Quick Sync/iGPU.

Forgot to respond to your comment earlier. If you use higher quality video in Davinci then it most certainly does utilise QuickSync and is in fact a huge feature, where even RTX 3xxx cards don't have a full set of hardware decoding support regardless of it being a 3060 or a 3090.

If you are using something like H.265 10-bit 4:2:2 recorded directly from a mirrorless camera, the iGPU is the only option for hardware acceleration in DR Studio. Interestingly both GPU's can be working simultaneously as well, which further improves workflow speed.

It's important to get this information out there, as many people only watch daft HUB, or GN video and have no idea how these things work in the real world, and just make assumptions or pass on other bad/false information with no first hand experience of what is on offer.

As above some what moot point when they are the same price, though I am sure lots of people made the mistake of getting a KF due to duff info when they first came out.

Man of Honour
OP
I have no doubt there is an element of improved speed with Quick Sync being added on top of the already quick dGPU encoding in Davinci, but is it really night and day? For example I just this minute encoded a B-roll clip in 4K 30fps, it is 1m 28s long and is using H265 (Main profile) and quality set to "Best" resulting in a ~40 seconds to encode time. Decoding in the monitor/timeline is more or less instant and smooth as well.

I suspect these things wholly boil down to individual use case scenarios though.

5S46J6r.jpg

MssVh4i.jpg

Next time round I upgrade the CPU, and if the price difference is small enough to be insignificant, then I will get the K variant as it's a no brainer, but if the difference is a fair chunk again then I'll opt for KF as current experience is more than adequate for this sort of usage that I am doing really.

Btw I have OpenCL disabled in Davinci settings as Nvidia cripple it in favour of CUDA. So CUDA is the manual selection.

Caporegime
It's in stock where I just looked. Ships in 3-5 days. £370.
yea some dodgy place I never heard of, 3-5 days probably means they don't actually have stock either but are waiting for shipment.
*** competitor reference deleted ***

makes me wonder how close the 13*** lines of chips are, I thought it was still like 3+ months?
maybe everywhere just didn't anticipate demand for alderlake at this point though and got caught short :S

I got my basket on ocuk set up but keep managing to not click the order button :D

I guess now I don't need to worry about that for a few days

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I got my basket on ocuk set up but keep managing to not click the order button :D

Unless you are 100% desperate then the obvious choice is to wait for 13th Gen or Zen4. If you go for 13th Gen, you'll get more L2 and L3 cache more E-cores in the 13700K/KF for effectively no extra outlay, so 8P+8E and 24T like a 12900K is now. Also DDR5 prices are dropping daily, 5600MT/s 32GB kits that can easily OC to 7000MT/s+ are sub £175 now, and the new 13th Gen will hopefully have much better IMC's so you'll be able to push them even further.

Caporegime
I'm joining the alderlake club with a 12700k and a sexy white case, I'm coming from a 4th gen I5 which is why I decided not to wait, and with inflation a 13700k and everything else will likely cost so much more that the extra 10-15% performance if that in gaming probably isn't worth waiting for.
jkbcCcK.jpg
Waiting for next gen GPUs though

Soldato
Sorry chaps, slightly the wrong forum but general question for you, what DDR5 Alder Lake compatible board would you be looking at if you were to buy one?

I purchased a Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite and I'm having what seems to a rather common issue with it not wanting to post to BIOS. Followed all the standard trouble shooting advice, but its not having it, thinking of just giving up and purchasing a different board. Anything you have had out of the box compatibility with?

Soldato
Sorry chaps, slightly the wrong forum but general question for you, what DDR5 Alder Lake compatible board would you be looking at if you were to buy one?

I purchased a Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite and I'm having what seems to a rather common issue with it not wanting to post to BIOS. Followed all the standard trouble shooting advice, but its not having it, thinking of just giving up and purchasing a different board. Anything you have had out of the box compatibility with?

Tomahawk here, zero issues inc bios flash. It was also very easy to setup fan control on the rad and case fans.

Soldato
I have that Gigabyte Aorus Elite board, tho mine is the DDR4 type.
I hadn't realised that the DDR5 version is known to have issues you describe, but then again I haven't bothered with much to do with DDR5.
MSI boards seem decent vfm.

Don
Just another reminder (as if any more should be needed) - Troll posts and other low quality bait will not be tolerated. Thread bans and suspensions will be awarded where necessary.

We don't particularly care which "side" you support, but all "fans" should be respectful.

Soldato
Three cheers for that!
The CPU market is in such a great place right now. Anyone who owns any current AMD/Intel system owns something that can breeze through most tasks.

The 12400 and cheap motherboard has been a solid upgrade for me, even installing that additional frame was a few quid and very little time.
People can't seem to be happy with their products without peeing all over the other ones. :(
If the 5600 non-x was out at the time, I'd have had a harder time choosing. Still recommended that to a couple of friends in my city.

Soldato
Recently dipped my toe back into the Intel pond as I wanted to try out an Alderlake system and compare it directly to Zen 3 (5900X with CO-15). Did a lot of thinking and ended up settling on a nice combo of the Asus X690 TUF DF (WiFi), 12700K and a Corsair MP600 Pro 1TB NVME SSD. Combined this all with the 3200C14 Ram I was already using and an adaptor kit for the venerable NH-D14 plus not forgetting my 3090 FE.

KaYwRA3l.jpg.png

Obviously wasn't expecting anything earth shattering but its showing some interesting promise early on. A few FPS better in the CP2077 benchmark with RT and an outlier 11FPS faster at 1440p UW Native, Ultra settings with no RT. Not sure what happened there, but the results were consistent. I can only assume a re-test on the 5900X would bring it closer.

May end up moving over to Raptor lake / Zen 4 depending on the performance uplift with the next gen of GPU's. Nothing decided but I like tinkering with new hardware. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Gigabyte have released Z690 BIOS updates in the F20 version number. This supports "next gen" CPUs it seems.

And in other good news, I have had no further issues with the RAM, or noticed any perf drop by running it at 3200MHz. A lot of gaming and editing been done snce I last posted about it. I guess this RAM is only fully stable without a lot of faff at 3200, which is fine tbh for now. If I upgrade again to 14th gen then I will go DDR5 - That upgrade will have no budget really so will likely just go all out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom