1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: ** The Official Apple HomePod/HomePod mini thread **

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by Feek, 20 Oct 2017.

?

Are you going to buy an Apple HomePod

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. No

115 vote(s)
    56.9%
  3. Possibly, I'll wait and see what the reviews are like first

44 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. HomePod mini - Yes

18 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. HomePod mini - No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. HomePod mini - Possibly, I'll wait and see what the reviews are like first

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Feek

Commissario

I've not noticed that - I have the HomePod mini in my office playing Boom Radio all day from when I get in until I finish for the day and I'd spot it if this were to happen.

2. SDMFer

Associate

I’m having issues with Homepod Minis at my work location being unreliable with their Airplay and Home app connections - I am regularly having to remove them from the Home app and add them again, as well as struggling to get them to connect and play music some days (like today!). One does have the power turned off every night due to the room having a master power switch that is disconnected.

However I have no issues with my Homepod at home. Is this an issue relating to the multiple locations in the Home app or am I just being unlucky? It’s at the point where I am looking to replace these speakers with something reliable.

3. Spleen Sauce

Wise Guy

So I got home last night and my wife was sat in the kitchen (large room) listening to BBC Radio jazz something or other. So we've got a couple of the older SONOS Play:1 speakers set up in a stereo pair, and there's a HomePod Mini also, mainly for setting reminders. It took me over an hour to realise that she was playing the music from the HomePod Mini and not the pair of Play:1's - and I only noticed because I saw the mini lit up when it got a bit darker in the room.

Now of course I'm not saying for a second that a single HomePod Mini is anywhere near as good as a pair of Play:1s.... but man I never appreciated how impressive they actually are for general audio playback.

4. Valo

Mobster

5. Imy

Mobster

Thanks for the heads-up; ordered a couple more.

6. SDMFer

Associate

Same - two ordered to make a stereo pair for use with the Apple TV. Better than the TV speakers or a cheap soundbar and I’m not that big a telly watcher to splash out on fancy soundbar or home cinema setup!

Btw I figured out my problem above - it was my WiFi network that was playing silly beggars, not the Homepod Minis. So all good! :)

7. LiE

Capodecina

8. Feek

Commissario

The latest HomePod software is available.

Some of the new stuff.

- Select a single or pair of HomePod mini as the default speakers for your Apple TV 4K for rich room-filling sound and clear dialogue.
    - Media playback controls automatically appear on your iPhone’s Lock Screen when a HomePod mini playing music is nearby
    - Set a lower bass level to enjoy music without disturbing the neighbors
    - Ask Siri to turn on your Apple TV, start playing a favorite movie, and control playback while you watch
    - Siri automatically adjusts its speaking level based on the room environment and volume of the user - GOOD GOOD GOOD!
    - Ask Siri to control smart home devices at a specific time like turning off the lights in 10 minutes
    - Extend access to HomePod throughout your home by enabling Siri voice control on compatible HomeKit accessories
    - Support for package detection with HomeKit Secure Video

9. JamesM

Sgarrista

Has anyone got the default speaker working yet?

I've got two minis which I use for my living room TV with an Apple TV and it has been working fine just connecting to them by AirPlay.

I was prompted to set them up as the default device but when I do there is no sound and no volume control?

10. ChrisD.

Caporegime

Have these gone down to £70 again anywhere?

11. BMox81

Wise Guy

Been looking around-nowhere at present.

12. rotor

Wise Guy

13. beachBOYken

Capodecina

Is there any way to view voice/siri history?

Spooky woke my mini up at 1.30am making weird noises.

14. shiver

Wise Guy

I recently added another Mini for our main bedroom and since we're one step closer to setting up the cinema room I've ordered 1 more + a new Apple TV 4K.

Has anyone tried a pair of minis for TV speakers yet?

15. JamesM

Sgarrista

Yes working fine here, have been using two paired for a while.

However I haven't been able to get the default audio to play through them so I've been using AirPlay from the start which has worked well.

16. shiver

Wise Guy

Thanks - going to test this weekend. Hoping to have them as default audio for Apple TV but also other TV sound as new Apple TV 4k is supposed to support eARC

17. Reuben klang

Hitman

Honestly feel like throwing this thing in the bin at times. Siri is absolutely rubbish.

18. Feek

Commissario

What isn't Siri doing that you want? This sort of statement needs quantifying...

We've got HomePods in every room (except the bathroom) and to give an example of the sort of things that Siri is used for daily.

All commands naturally prefixed by "Hey Siri"

First thing in the morning
    "What's my update?" - Gives me anything in my calendar for the day then plays the news.

"What's the weather forecast?"

"Fourbed" - This kicks off a Siri shortcut that plays Radio 4 in the bedroom

"Wake up the office" - Runs an automation that turns on the power to my office, plays Boom Radio on the HomePod and turns the light on if it's needed

"Countdown 90 minute dough timer" - Sets a timer for proving my dough. Then when it goes in the oven later

"Countdown 15 minutes" "countdown 30 minutes" - Sets the two timers so I know when to turn the oven temperature down

"Text my wife" - I texted Mrs. Feek yesterday to ask her to pick up my prescription on the way home

"Play xxx" play some specific music in the room I was in at lunchtime

"Tell me a joke" - For the lols, some are actually decent

"Is it going to rain this afternoon?" - I had washing to dry. In the end, it went in the tumble dryer because it rained

We use timers regularly when cooking.

"Switch on the front room Apple TV" - Pretty self explanatory

"Who is Lucy Beaumont?" - We were watching House of Games and I wondered who the doris with the whiney Hull accent was.

"Lumos" - Turns on the light in the front room

"Nox" - Turns off the light in the front room

"Lumos the back bedroom" - Turns on the light in the back bedroom

"Good night" - Runs an automation that turns off the lights in the landing, shack and bedroom and plays something on the bedroom HomePod

Yes, sometimes Siri mishears what you say and you get strange music playing but that's the same for all voice assistant things. Siri was pretty poor when it was first released but it's come along in leaps and bounds. It's not perfect but it's far from being absolute rubbish. I love that he can identify who's speaking so if I ask him to play music, he plays stuff I'll like, rather than some gash that the kids like.

19. Bluecube

Mobster

He?;)

20. Reuben klang

Hitman

The same thing I’ve asked you about 20 times in here. Won’t play virgin radio. Won’t play it from tunein. Consistently says can’t find it on Apple Music. Regardless of what I say, how clear I say it, slow, fast etc

It’s not down to the way I speak per say as if I say play Queen. It’ll do it.