Votes: 18 8.9%
  • HomePod mini - No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HomePod mini - Possibly, I'll wait and see what the reviews are like first

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
Associate
O
What do you mean by "limited music service comparability??"?

Just sounds like typical trolling again.

Oh sorry, so because I'm not fawning over it I'm trolling? Get a grip pal, I'm entitled to an opinion.

My comment is based on it not supporting Spotify - autocorrect changed it from compatibility. For that type of premium I'd expect it to work with whatever service I wanted.

Associate
They don’t support it with voice through Siri in the pod itself. Dunno if you can do it via the app? But you can airplay to it etc, so you can just play it from your phone. That’s how I’m going to try it out, but not convinced I’ll use Siri enough to justify keeping it. Don’t really care about not being able to play music just by saying ‘play x by y’.

I assume the same but take away the voice control for the feature you're likely to use most often and the higher price gets harder to justify. A real shame, I hope they reconsider this.

Soldato
Bit too late and I don't feel Siri compares to Google assistant.

I have a fairly basic sonos setup (two Play 1s and the Sub) which sound fine for the rooms they are in and playing music from whatever provider is a snap. Never felt the need to ask them to play music, I just load up the app.

My other half then bought a Google Mini for the lounge (well it came with their camera for free) which i've used a number of times and it's brilliant as an assistant. Asking Siri the same questions either brings up nothing or a web page.

Can you connect these to the TV in anyway to replace the TV's speakers?

Man of Honour
Bit too late and I don't feel Siri compares to Google assistant.

I have a fairly basic sonos setup (two Play 1s and the Sub) which sound fine for the rooms they are in and playing music from whatever provider is a snap. Never felt the need to ask them to play music, I just load up the app.

My other half then bought a Google Mini for the lounge (well it came with their camera for free) which i've used a number of times and it's brilliant as an assistant. Asking Siri the same questions either brings up nothing or a web page.

Can you connect these to the TV in anyway to replace the TV's speakers?
If I were you I'd get an Echo Dot and connect it to your Sonos.

Soldato
I’m basically thinking in terms of how I listen to music... I basically just pick a playlist on Spotify and listen through... I can’t see myself skipping from song to song etc, and the UI for music (for me) being taking my phone out of my pocket and choosing a new playlist all within ten seconds isn’t much bother.

I just don’t think I’ll use the voice enough for other stuff. I don’t have any home automation stuff... I don’t know at what point voice assistants will be better than just grabbing a phone and doing the thing yourself, especially with good enough consistency that it’s not a bit of a gimmick.
If you listen to music in that fashion, why pay £320 for what is a speaker?
The homepod is tied to apple music subscriptions from the reviews I have read, but if it does airplay like you say, then I guess there will be some options.
Much prefer the spotify integration within google home.

Soldato
There’s a very good review from an audiophile on reddit:

I haven’t posted a direct link but it’s here, titled “NDA is up. What can I tell you guys about the HomePod?”

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/

That actually piqued my interest. I can't see how a pair of them would compete with my Event Opals but I know how important good room correction can be.

Soldato
I don't see the need for the whole google home, Amazon echo and apple homepod ranges to exist. Why not just buy a smart television/Bluetooth speaker (or a Chromecast or apple TV for an existing one) linked to your phone and use that instead?

As far as I can see it just replicates functionality and features I already have in my phone? Why not use voice/touch control on a phone and then link to a TV or Hi-Fi. It just seems to me it's an excuse to sell consumers yet another device. A shrewd business move no doubt to create a new category of device but I can't see a use for it personally.

If I already have an apple TV why would I want this? Heck, i could buy an Apple TV and the television for less than the cost of a homepod!

Or am I missing something?

:confused:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom