• HomePod mini - Yes

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • HomePod mini - No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HomePod mini - Possibly, I'll wait and see what the reviews are like first

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I don't see the need for the whole google home, Amazon echo and apple homepod ranges to exist. Why not just buy a smart television/Bluetooth speaker (or a Chromecast or apple TV for an existing one) linked to your phone and use that instead?

As far as I can see it just replicates functionality and features I already have in my phone? Why not use voice/touch control on a phone and then link to a TV or Hi-Fi. It just seems to me it's an excuse to sell consumers yet another device. A shrewd business move no doubt to create a new category of device but I can't see a use for it personally.

If I already have an apple TV why would I want this? Heck, i could buy an Apple TV and the television for less than the cost of a homepod!

Or am I missing something?

:confused:

You're missing something.

My echos are incredibly useful.

Soldato
Do you not own an iPhone / watch?

Yup, I've made similar comments in another thread before - its more hassle to use those, pulling phone out pocket, or lifting watch up (it sometimes not activating so you press the front).........my echos are in my bedroom, kitchen, office.........and you just say what you want anywhere in the room no hassle - Alexa is much better at getting what I'm saying than Siri at this point in time.

I have tried cooking timers etc with Siri and it was annoying, out of habit i said set an alarm for 5 mins and it set an 'alarm' rather than a timer, I say the same to alexa and it just sets a count down timer.......sure sure i know what i said, and i know its a computer, but Alexa seems to understand context better, I meant a cooking timer and alexa gets that, siri you must say timer or alarm and doesn't smartly differentiate based on context (i.e. a 5-30 min 'alarm' is more likely a timer) etc, also this echo knows its in the kitchen so maybe that's why the AI set a timer - its useful things like that.

It's just little things that make alexa far far far more useful, hopefully siri will catch up but its more of a generation behind AI wise.

Going to turn a spare Rasperri Pi into a home hub so I have an automated house as well soon when I get a spare few hours :) - then interface that with some old x10 home automation hardware - cheap smart home with voice control :D

Soldato
I’m not sure the benefit of not having to spend 1 second holding the crown on my watch (or worst case taking my phone out of my pocket) is worth the cost and effort of having to buy 4/5 echos. Siri does most of what Alexa would be used for.

I’d be tempted at something like the echo spot for the bedroom, though as I don’t live alone I don’t understand how you are supposed to have two in the same room (e.g. as bedside alarms)

Man of Honour
The reason I have an Echo in every room bar the bathrooms is more for the audio (I listen to them enough to want half decent audio but not enough to warrant something like a Sonos), the voice control abilities is just an added bonus. And I do find Alexa leagues ahead of Siri in terms of capabilities. And I do use them a fair bit. As said, half the things I ask Siri while she's in my pocket, she just says "Sure, but you need to unlock your phone first", at which point it's quicker to ask Alexa than get my phone out my pocket, and I just can't get used to using my Apple Watch for Siri.

I'll replace two of my Echos with HomePods, one in the kitchen where a lot of music gets played when meal prepping and in the main bedroom as I do like music when getting ready in the morning/evening. Really impressed with the audio reviews so far

Permabanned
The reason I have an Echo in every room bar the bathrooms is more for the audio (I listen to them enough to want half decent audio but not enough to warrant something like a Sonos), the voice control abilities is just an added bonus. And I do find Alexa leagues ahead of Siri in terms of capabilities. And I do use them a fair bit. As said, half the things I ask Siri while she's in my pocket, she just says "Sure, but you need to unlock your phone first", at which point it's quicker to ask Alexa than get my phone out my pocket, and I just can't get used to using my Apple Watch for Siri.

I'll replace two of my Echos with HomePods, one in the kitchen where a lot of music gets played when meal prepping and in the main bedroom as I do like music when getting ready in the morning/evening. Really impressed with the audio reviews so far

I have a similar view. In my case I have a number of Google Home devices at home to boost my audio capabilities around the home but as important, because its algorithms make Google Assistant a great help in running my smart home---lights, kettle,heating, Google search, etc. These capabilities will only grow for more appliances and services.

The Apple HomePod at $ 399 is a product that Apple has launched aimed at big spenders who will help Apple maintain its 40% gross margin on its products. Compare this to Google's approach with much lower margins on Google Home and Google Home Mini, both with good enough audio capabilities. In its battle with Amazon Echo over Christmas for example, it was possible to use a WalMart coupon worth $ 25 towards a Google Home Mini priced on sale at $ 29 for a net price of $ 4. Furthermore, Google Home's capabilities (like Amazon's) are significantly greater than Apple's.

Google Home was the star of the recent Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. It bought every possible space available for ads and lined up every device manufacturer to showcase their device with Google Assistant or have it on imminent release. Apple HomeKit was a no-show at CES.

So really Apple HomePod is competing at this stage on audio quality and with its 40% gross margin there will be many audio competitors at lower prices---such as Sonos, Sony and Harmon Kardon---who have or will shortly have Google Assistant built in to their offerings. While I have no doubt that Apple is capable of making a high quality audio product, both price and quality competition in the HomePod space will be fierce.

In a world where algorithms will be king and hardware will be for those who produce audio, I see Google emerging from this race as being the eventual winner.

Soldato
I don't get why people keep saying Google and Alexa are so much better as an assistant.

Appointments / home control / weather / alarms / calling people / sending messages all work much the same across them. Any more detailed context driven query (e.g. "who played for Doncaster in 1986", "what about 1987" surely everyone just gets their internet browser out as any answer won't be a one sentence answer that you won't immediately want to dig further in to.

Soldato
I don't get why people keep saying Google and Alexa are so much better as an assistant.

Appointments / home control / weather / alarms / calling people / sending messages all work much the same across them. Any more detailed context driven query (e.g. "who played for Doncaster in 1986", "what about 1987" surely everyone just gets their internet browser out as any answer won't be a one sentence answer that you won't immediately want to dig further in to.

My experience with Google has been one sentence answers, that's why I rate it above Siri. Yes there are things that both do exactly the same but I see Google as an assistant and Siri as voice controls.

Prime example, over the Christmas period we had extra waste which I needed to take to the local refuse but didn't know what hours it was open. I simply said 'Hey google, is the tip open today?' and it replied 'The local refuse located in Norris Way is open between 8am and 6pm today'. Hell I can get directions just by saying 'give me directions' and it knows what i'm asking for.

Now you try the same thing with Siri, it just brings up a list of closest refuse centres and when I click the one i'm after, it can't find the opening times for it.

I'd be interested in hearing the homepod as a replacement to my Sonos setup but that wouldn't be for a long time yet.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

The other day I said (very clearly, in my opinion) "hey Siri, remind me at 11 am to email the family about my travel plans", it displayed "remind me at 11 am to email emily about my travel plans" (so it misunderstood "my family" for "Emily" -- never mind that I don't know anyone called Emily or have ever texted or emailed someone called Emily, and Siri is in a position to know this), and then proceeded to create a reminder that had no time associated with it (so it completely ate the 11 am even though Siri showed it did recognise that bit).

These kinds of flaws are just so persistent with Siri that I hardly ever use it, because it's so frustrating. These types of interactions should be 100% bread and butter flawless experiences, and they are so far from that that it just becomes useless.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

It's kind of like saying "I don't get why contactless is such a big deal, surely you can spare the 5 seconds it takes to insert the card, type the pin, and wait". These are small things. They are not life-changing, or increasing world peace or removing world hunger. But they are making our lives that tiny bit more pleasant and enjoyable. What's wrong with that? If you don't appreciate that, you should at least be able to appreciate that others may see the value.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Another thing that I dislike about Siri, is that it's trying to be funny. "hohoho I've set your timer, a watched pot never boils hohoho". Maybe if you are rock solid 100% dependable then I'll give you a pass on the dumb humour. But when you are as flaky as Siri is, please, let's keep it short and to the point. Alexa is the best at this. Google is still a bit wordier than Alexa, but certainly doesn't try to be funny.

Man of Honour
Had confirmation my first 2 arrive on the 9th,

by all accounts the music will be sublime, but I'm hoping to use them to take over from my 7 Echo+s which are really annoying me now, they seem to get increasingly worse at listening to me!

Suspect I'm going to need a Hue bridge now though, but will see once they arrive how useful they are before ordering more.

Will be nice if I finally get to use the iPhone mic to comment the home (as its always near me) thus avoiding the issue of having to sometimes shout for the closest unit to hear me over the TV or Music (as I need to on the Echo!)

Associate
Mine is preparing for dispatch. Looking forward to having something that actually responds to voice commands when the volume is loud.

Soldato
Per the Verge, it’s not much better than a Sonos One sounds wise, has worse assistant features and is double the price. Yet they still recommend it. Shows how all these reviewers don’t dare give a negative impression for fear of being shunned by Apple.

Back
Top Bottom