Poll: ** The official Apple TV 4K thread (the 2021 model has a new remote and everything!) **

Are you buying the 4K Apple TV?

• Yes

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Not at the moment, maybe later

Votes: 55 33.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Agreed. I've always been an advocate for the ATV (and still am tbh), but I grabbed the 4K Max Fire Stick this week and tbh, it's more than up to the task. Has UHD (with HLG HDR) for iPlayer and all the latest versions of the apps (Netflix, Spotify & iPlayer as examples) which for me, look more visually appealing than their ATV counterparts.

agreed.

Think the tvOS iPlayer app was last updated a year a go…

Finding my new Siri remote to be incredibly flakey. It’s paired with my ATV 4K gen1. Hope it’s a software bug.

Soldato
agreed.

Think the tvOS iPlayer app was last updated a year a go…

Finding my new Siri remote to be incredibly flakey. It’s paired with my ATV 4K gen1. Hope it’s a software bug.
I have not had any problems with my remote yet, am also using it with a gen 1 4k ATV

But admin I only used it a few times as I only turn the TV on a couple of time's per month these days

Soldato
Got this response from my queries to the iPlayer team:

Hi Robert,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Unfortunately, due to how Apple make their products and technology, the iPlayer app is considerably different from the TV app on every other platform. It's also why there are no subtitles available or why there is no schedule on the app for Apple TVs.

We do always wish to improve the app on each platform but this app is a very stripped back version of the app for now. The best thing you can do is to always keep up to date with the tvOS and with the iPlayer app as well. As mentioned before, there are now immediate plans to add profiles to this version of the app.

Please let us know if you have any other issues or questions and hopefully, we can help.

All the best,

Soldato
Thinking of replacing my old Amazon Fire TV box. What’s the consensus on 32/64GB?

I don’t game, only streaming the usual apps: Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+

I assume 32GB will be plenty? You don’t get any other benefits with the 64GB other than extra storage, right?

Commissario
I got the 64gb, even though 32gb is plenty for me:D, I thought for the price difference, what is it £20? I thought might as well get the 64gb.
I think that’s what most people have done. Previously the difference in price between models was much higher and everyone bought the smaller one. I don’t need the 64Gb version but I bought it because it was only twenty quid cheaper. The result is that Apple got £20 extra from me.

Soldato
It’s ludicrous that I can get the new iPlayer on an ancient fire stick, ŵhich is an awful experience…but not on an atv 4K gen 1 with a10x :/

Edit: Sorry, I’d just tested it. It was so sluggish. Really frustrates me!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Associate
OP
It’s ludicrous that I can get the new iPlayer on an ancient fire stick, ŵhich is an awful experience…but not on an atv 4K gen 1 with a10x :/

Edit: Sorry, I’d just tested it. It was so sluggish. Really frustrates me!

Agreed. I plugged the 4K Max Fire Stick back in a couple of days ago and once again found myself wondering how a £40 device can have better apps/features than the £170/190 one.

Back
Top Bottom