Poll: ** The official Apple TV 4K thread (the 2021 model has a new remote and everything!) **

Are you buying the 4K Apple TV?

• Yes

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Not at the moment, maybe later

Votes: 55 33.3%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
The remote is awful, stops working a lot of the time or becomes really slow. And the trackpad is terrible. Hate it. Use the app on my phone instead.

It's only the 4K remote that seems to be bad, every other Apple TV from the first up until the 4th generation have all been fine, it's just the 4K model

Associate
OP
Wondering if anyone can can answer this for me....

I have a Samsung 55" HU6900 4K UHD TV. This TV's HDMI inputs are HDMI 2.0, but I was told that this TV only had one HDMI input that supports HDCP 2.2. (HDMI 3 MHL) so had to use that input to watch Sky Q (non subscriber at present). So depending on the situation, I would take out the cable to use the ATV and then my Xbox One S if I wanted to watch a 4K disc and then back again. Quite the ballache.

connections-jpg.989058

Last night I decided that for the time being I was going to keep the Xbox in HDMI 3 and put the ATV into one of the other HDMI inputs (1) until I get a TV where they are all HDCP 2.2. compliant.

So I was shocked and surprised that when I loaded the ATV up and chose the source (HDMI 1), the output was showing as 3840 × 2160 50p....

Picked a couple of films I know to be 4K (Wonder Woman and The Last Knight), did the pulldown on the ATV and they showed as 4K as well.

So I have 3 questions:

1) Has my TV always been able to take 4K video (and therefore me being a complete idiot not realising this) from the other inputs, just that Sky needed to use HDMI 3?

2) Is it a case of the ATV merely upscaling the content (I have everything within Match Content turned on)? I'm pretty sure that I've put the Xbox One S into HDMI input 2 and only got a 1080p image from it.

3) Or could it be the cables I was using before compared to the ones I'm using now (OMARS Premium HDMI Cable) mean that I'm now able to receive a 4K image on these inputs?

I mean I've switched the ATV between HDMI 1 and 3 and the screensavers look exactly the same..

I'd be interested to see what people think.

Associate
Just put an order in for mine, went for the 32GB as I only plan on using it to stream music & video. Plus I've never had an Airplay device for my Mac to try display mirroring so looking forward to seeing if I can find a use for it.

Soldato
I'm Hoping for some advice, I'm on the road a lot if I took an ATV with me and used it in whichever hotel I'm in would my other half still be able to use a different ATV at home on the same account I was using in the hotel?

Soldato
It’s an early Christmas present!

All4 is FINALLY available on the tvOS App Store - https://9to5mac.com/2018/12/17/channel-4-apple-tv/

I’m at work and haven’t installed it yet, but by the sounds of it the app is fairly basic.

No HD playback, TV app support, Siri Universal Search support.

It’s not exactly feature packed, can’t understand how it’s taken them so long to develop it....but it’s a start and it’s finally on the platform.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s an early Christmas present!

All4 is FINALLY available on the tvOS App Store - https://9to5mac.com/2018/12/17/channel-4-apple-tv/

I’m at work and haven’t installed it yet, but by the sounds of it the app is fairly basic.

No HD playback, TV app support, Siri Universal Search support.

It’s not exactly feature packed, can’t understand how it’s taken them so long to develop it....but it’s a start and it’s finally on the platform.
The biggest problem is adverts, some are 3-4 minutes long and you can't skip them :(

Soldato
The biggest problem is adverts, some are 3-4 minutes long and you can't skip them :(

They are a a publicly-owned and commercially-funded so they have to make their money somehow. It's a small price to pay to FINALLY get them on the platform.....it's only taken 3yrs to get the full array of UK catchup TV services on tvOS/Apple TV.

I still would like UKTV Play to pull there finger out and update there app to include tvOS as well. I think I read that NowTV are developing and testing a new version of their app as well.

Soldato
They are a a publicly-owned and commercially-funded so they have to make their money somehow. It's a small price to pay to FINALLY get them on the platform.....it's only taken 3yrs to get the full array of UK catchup TV services on tvOS/Apple TV.

I still would like UKTV Play to pull there finger out and update there app to include tvOS as well. I think I read that NowTV are developing and testing a new version of their app as well.
The NowTV app is currently in beta yes.

Back
Top Bottom