Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Yes - 44mm non cellular

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • No, I won't be buying it

Votes: 36 31.9%

• Total voters
Associate
I currently have a Series 3, GPS only.

For those that have newer versions than mine... do you feel like there are many tangible benefits? I might get a second-hand version with Cellular maybe, but currently, it feels like as a notification system the 3 is fine. Apple are still selling them on the website so they must kind of agree.

There are some new bells and whistles, and the chip is faster... but how have you all felt about the upgrades?

Soldato
Cellular is great imo, I like being able to leave my phone at home. Power wise there’s not a huge difference. The bigger screen is much nicer and you get always on display, the downside of that and 4g is more battery consumption, closer to a single day, maybe 30-35hrs. Blood oxygen and ecg is cool but not game changing. Fall detection could be very handy.. never had the need yet but it’s a nice feature.

Personally I’d upgrade just for the 4g and always on display. The watch is one of Apple’s best products imo.

Commissario
OP
Fall detection could be very handy.. never had the need yet but it’s a nice feature.
Just a word about this. When I fell and badly broke my shoulder, it kicked in and I cancelled it. That was a mistake, I couldn’t get up and lay there waiting for a passing car to stop and help me. Luckily it wasn’t long because I had fallen by the side of a main road but I was stupid to cancel it.

Soldato
Just a word about this. When I fell and badly broke my shoulder, it kicked in and I cancelled it. That was a mistake, I couldn’t get up and lay there waiting for a passing car to stop and help me. Luckily it wasn’t long because I had fallen by the side of a main road but I was stupid to cancel it.
Could you not reach to press and hold the crown to activate Siri? I’ve recently bought my elderly grandma a cellular series 6 for the fall detection and so she can call from the watch, hoping she never needs it but I like the security it offers.

Commissario
OP
Could you not reach to press and hold the crown to activate Siri?
I was on the ground, the watch popped up and gave me the fall detection message and I managed to reach over with my broken arm and tap the 'cancel' message on the screen because I'm a big hairy man and my mind was telling me I was fine, that I'd just sit up, stand up, dust myself off and carry on. It became clear very quickly that I was seriously damaged and there was no way my right arm was going back to my watch. I didn't even consider trying a "hey Siri, phone my wife" thing, it just didn't occur to me.

Soldato
I was on the ground, the watch popped up and gave me the fall detection message and I managed to reach over with my broken arm and tap the 'cancel' message on the screen because I'm a big hairy man and my mind was telling me I was fine, that I'd just sit up, stand up, dust myself off and carry on. It became clear very quickly that I was seriously damaged and there was no way my right arm was going back to my watch. I didn't even consider trying a "hey Siri, phone my wife" thing, it just didn't occur to me.
I guess that's why the auto call feature is there! Note taken.. if I ever get myself in that situation I will call the mrs even if I think I'm fine!

Associate
Cellular is great imo, I like being able to leave my phone at home. Power wise there’s not a huge difference. The bigger screen is much nicer and you get always on display, the downside of that and 4g is more battery consumption, closer to a single day, maybe 30-35hrs. Blood oxygen and ecg is cool but not game changing. Fall detection could be very handy.. never had the need yet but it’s a nice feature.

Personally I’d upgrade just for the 4g and always on display. The watch is one of Apple’s best products imo.

Cheers, much appreciated! I'm going to find something with the 4g for sure I think.

Associate
Just to note, I now have a second hand Series 4 with Cellular.

MUCH snappier than the Series 3 and I'm appreciating the greater storage for loading up podcasts and music.

A word of warning though, Three don't have a plan yet active the the Apple Watch.. it seems like its coming 'soon' (how can they not have this yet?!?) but until then its basically a GPS model for me. If I had known before I might have not bought it but oh well.

Soldato
So I bought my first Apple Watch last week. In fact it’s my second, I got gifted a series 4 a few years ago and returned it because I literally could find no use for it (working in a hospital I can’t wear it all the time anyway).

Anyway now that I’m cycling three times a week I figured an Apple Watch would be good, which it is. Went for the 44mm non-cellular in blue with a blue braided loop.

Just a word of warning, the Apple wrist measurement tool might be the worst thing Apple have made...ever. It measured me as a size 9...that was too big, so replaced for a size 8, which is also too big. A size 6 is coming in the next few days, let’s hope that is a correct fit.

The watch is brilliant though!

Soldato
I’m actually tempted to buy a 3 now if I can pick one up at a decent price.
I literally only want it for notifications, Apple Pay and, you know, telling the time :p. From what I understand the 3 would be perfect fine for that?

Soldato
Yeah mines a smidge over a year old, and for that sort of thing its great, I get 2 days out of the battery which is easily extended if you tend to watch TV in bed in the morning or night before you get up you can stick it on charge for 10 minutes or so and keep it topped up.

Back
Top Bottom