• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official ATI Radeon HD 5850 / 5870 Reviews and Discussion Thread***

Caporegime
ATIRuby.png

ATI Radeon HD 5870 Reviews:

Anandtech - AMD's Radeon HD 5870: Bringing About the Next Generation Of GPUs

Bit-Tech - ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB Review

Firing Squad - ATI Radeon HD 5870 Performance Preview

Guru3D - Radeon HD 5870 review

HardOCP - AMD's ATI Radeon HD 5870 Video Card Review

Hardware Canucks - Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 Review

HotHardware - AMD ATI Radeon HD 5870: Unquestionably Number One

Legit Reviews - ATI Radeon HD 5870 DX11 Video Card Review

PC Perspective - ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB Graphics Card and AMD Eyefinity Review

techPowerUp - AMD Radeon HD 5870 1 GB Review

Toms Hardware - ATI Radeon HD 5870: DirectX 11, Eyefinity, And Serious Speed:

TheTechReport - AMD's Radeon HD 5870 graphics processor

TweakTown - Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB Graphics Card

If you're going to post pictures of benchmarks from the reviews, images of the actual graphics cards or anything else related, make sure you upload them to a hosting website like Photobucket, Imageshack etc. Please do not hot-link the images. Thank you. - Fire Wizard.

Last edited:
Soldato
Here we are then guys. I'll update the main post with reviews as and when they come available.

Right, I believe that's most of the more reputable websites up apart from TheTechReport which will be added once they release their review.

Update: TheTechReport review is now up. :)

Soldato
Looks like the card is worth its price. Does very well in the guru3d review.

Anandtech review also looks very good for the card. Close to the gtx 295 here in some games.

This sums up the card imo

anandtech said:
Let’s be clear here: the 5870 is the single fastest single-GPU card we have tested, by a wide margin. Looking at its performance in today’s games, as a $379 card it makes the GTX 285 at its current prices ($300+) completely irrelevant. The price difference isn’t enough to make up for the performance difference, and NVIDIA also has to contend with the 5850, which should perform near the GTX 285 but at a price of $259. As is often the case with a new generation of cards, we’re going to see a shakeup here in the market as NVIDIA in particular needs to adjust to these new cards.

The catch however is that what we don’t have is a level of clear domination when it comes to single-card solutions. AMD was shooting to beat the GTX 295 with the 5870, but in our benchmarks that’s not happening. The 295 and the 5870 are close, perhaps close enough that NVIDIA will need to reconsider things, but it’s not enough to completely dethrone the GTX 295. NVIDIA still has the faster single-card solution. Meanwhile AMD is retiring the 4870 X2, which ended up beating the 5870 enough that we would consider it a competitor to the 5870. However, you can’t consider it if you can’t buy it.

Last edited:
Associate
Based on those reviews, the 5980 is not as fast as I was anticipating or had been hyped. In most games the GTX 295 still bests it, which is fair enough seeing as how it costs a fair bit more. But I honestly thought the 5870 was going to be more of a game changer. As is, technically all Nvidia has to do to stay competitive is to drop their GPU prices.

Associate
There are other things to consider though.

A) The Card is A LOT less power hungry than the 295.
B) The Drivers tested are Beta Drivers, They will only improve with Age.
C) It's Still cheaper than the 295.

Associate
With the way everyone was going on about these cards on here, i was expecting better results, only thing it adds is that will be worthwhile is eyefinity.

I'm glad i don't need to upgrade for another 6 months most likely.

Associate
Based on those reviews, the 5980 is not as fast as I was anticipating or had been hyped. In most games the GTX 295 still bests it, which is fair enough seeing as how it costs a fair bit more. But I honestly thought the 5870 was going to be more of a game changer. As is, technically all Nvidia has to do to stay competitive is to drop their GPU prices.

Bear in mind that the 295 is a single PCB, dual GPU solution, like the 4870x2. It's also the first generation of card and driver, and there is still the 5890 to come, one would expect - not to mention 5870x2, which I imagine will turn up later.

As a single GPU solution, with the lower power draw and heat output that tends to entail [not to mention the lack of requiring CF/SLI profiles] it looks like the 5870 is pretty much untouchable for the time being - it looks like being a stonking compromise of GPU power Vs electrical power draw vs price vs complexity.

Last edited:
Associate
Now if Overclockers could throw one of these in those overclock systems for around the £1,000 spot in a Core I5 system. Then i'll be first in line to buy one.;)

Associate
It's not on the site yet, be interested to see what the 'official' uk price is.

Edit: Bit-Tech have it as £309.35 (inc. VAT) - a little more than what I was expecting, but given the price of mid-level 285s that it generally seems to beat, and the 295s it's not far behind [which start at £350ish] that's not too bad.

And it'll drop by the time I'm looking at one, arf.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are we nearly there yet?
Are we nearly there yet?
Are we nearly there yet?
Are we nearly there yet?
Are we nearly there yet?
Are we nearly there yet?
Are we nearly there yet?

Back
Top Bottom