*** The Official Battlefield 2042 thread***

Man of Honour
my BF4 says 50 hours played.

was it that bad at release?

I wrote a long reply to this but condensed down - what let BF4 down was a good game undermined by developer laziness, rather than the approach and contents of the game.

Pretty much every aspect of the game was a case of "it's 80% working that will do" and while Dice LA did go back in and sort some of the issues they only plastered over the cracks really with still a lot of underlying problems.

That ranges from the basic glue code to a lack of well thought out maps to too much equipment in the game being just copy and paste with cosmetic changes, etc. for example the 2x magnifier attachment for guns would mostly work but occasionally its behaviour would become inverted, movement mostly worked but about 20% of the time you'd suddenly be unable to walk over a small pebble or randomly KIA because the game couldn't handle the move you were trying to make, etc.

I've put a lot of hours into the game but it tends to be intense bursts where I play a lot for a few days then get fed-up of all the little things they couldn't be bothered to do properly and quit for months or even years. Some of it is incredibly sloppy stuff like routines which from a game programming perspective are trivial to get close to if not 100% robust and they still couldn't be bothered.

Back
Top Bottom