**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Soldato
OP
The P7000 does indeed look great but the GPS on Mediatek SoC's is utter gash to the point of it being unusable, unless of course they've improved it with the latest sets.

I do have a slight concern about this, although my T has got to the point where Maps just dies every time it has to do an in-journey reroute so it can't be any worse.

Associate
Soldato
You can nab one on gearbest for £134 using code EP7000. Just looking at some youtube videos.. Not liking the black border / bezel round the screen where the Lcd should be :/ I suppose you can't expect much for so little money.

Soldato
Quite interested in the elephone. Can seem to pre order anywhere? Hmm. The elephone website won't let me snap one up either.

"Elephone will accept reservation from April 25th to May 8th on our Official website.Everyone can participate by filling out reservation form. And customers who made reservations qualify for the Rush to purchase Pioneer event on May 11th"

I've ordered one for £134. May cancel it though, still unsure about GPS performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely it depends on the vendor and/or the software with it? Can't imagine Lenovo for example advertising GPS and it not being functional.

Very close to cancelling my order now. Fed up of shoddy GPS with the Nexus 5 so my next phone has to work well for navigation.

Soldato
Surely it depends on the vendor and/or the software with it? Can't imagine Lenovo for example advertising GPS and it not being functional.

Very close to cancelling my order now. Fed up of shoddy GPS with the Nexus 5 so my next phone has to work well for navigation.

It's the Mediatek hardware unfortunately, I've had a phone with an MTK SoC twice now and while they picked up signal fine, its accuracy and ability to hold the lock when moving was shocking. It looks like Mediatek have made very little progress in this area and concentrated on CPU & GPU grunt.

That's fine if you're a punter that doesn't use GPS but I do all the time for navigation so I rule out anything with an MTK chipset now. I followed every guide available to try and improve it's performance and while I saw some limited improvements ultimately the performance was not where I needed it to be and I still saw dropped locks and very poor accuracy very very frequently.

Soldato
OP
First wave of P7000 codes released tomorrow at 10am for those interested, think you have to be pre-registered and logged in to the elephone event page before hand, I hate this sales model.

Back
Top Bottom