**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Soldato
My Xiaomi is getting on abit now, a Mi4, I still love it and many others have commented on its looks since owning it and asking what brand it is. When I tell then they shrug their shoulders because they have never heard of the brand. I tell them it does what a iPhone does at half the price and feel all warm inside. Will certainly be going Xiaomi again as I have had zero issues even though it’s a cheap Japanese phone

Soldato
Is the redmi note 4 still the one to go for these days or does it have a successor?
Wife hates here Moto g5 so I'm thinking selling it and either getting her a 3gb/32 note 4 or, giving her mine (4gb/64) and getting myself something new like the Mi A1...

Associate
Is the redmi note 4 still the one to go for these days or does it have a successor?
Wife hates here Moto g5 so I'm thinking selling it and either getting her a 3gb/32 note 4 or, giving her mine (4gb/64) and getting myself something new like the Mi A1...

The Redmi Note 4 is over a year old now. Rumor has it we'll be seeing the successor at the end of this month. By the time you order it and it arrives, the successor may have been announced :p

(That's not to say the Note 4 and Mi A1 aren't wicked however)

Soldato
The Redmi Note 4 is over a year old now. Rumor has it we'll be seeing the successor at the end of this month. By the time you order it and it arrives, the successor may have been announced :p

Only had my note 4 a few months but it is a damn good phone..
I want to shift the Moto g5 sooner rather than later to limit the loss I'm gonna face so dunno how long I can wait before I replace it..
I've just realised the A1 runs stock android and one of her main gripes about the g5 is that it doesn't have an integrated gallery and makes you use Google photo which she hates so maybe that's not a wise choice..

Associate
I'm going to order the black Redmi 5 Plus 4/64GB global version from Gearbest, which is the best shipping option to use (Unregistered Air Mail, Registered Air Mail, Priority line with EU Express or UK priority mail option) to avoid tax?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to order the black Redmi 5 Plus 4/64GB global version from Gearbest, which is the best shipping option to use (Unregistered Air Mail, Registered Air Mail, Priority line with EU Express or UK priority mail option) to avoid tax?

I would image the EU ezpress and UK priority would almost certainly incur customs charges but then there's no guarantee the other won't either.
My note 4 was shipped free post from Ali express when I bought it and I didn't get stung (was marked as a mobile phone with the value of $40)...

Associate
I would image the EU ezpress and UK priority would almost certainly incur customs charges but then there's no guarantee the other won't either.
My note 4 was shipped free post from Ali express when I bought it and I didn't get stung (was marked as a mobile phone with the value of $40)...
Was AliExpress Standard Shipping the free post option? Also, I thought anything over £15 would subject to tax?

Associate

Yes, Note 4 is a great phone (have it myself) but it was released 1,5 years ago.

RedMi 5 plus global is a good alternative until RedMi Note 5 is released. I still would consider Note 4 though for those who dont want 18:9 screen.

Problem with RedMi 5 plus is that it is tall, 158mm (Note4 151mm). The camera is also mediocre unless you root and install Googlecam.

As said above. Don't be cheap and buy a phone that doesn't support all bands. It just is a pain. Always wait for global version of the phones. Check that the bands are supported before buy, for a nice experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was AliExpress Standard Shipping the free post option? Also, I thought anything over £15 would subject to tax?

Not sure, I assumed it was £30 due to them putting $40 dollars on mine..
Yes, Note 4 is a great phone (have it myself) but it was released 1,5 years ago.

RedMi 5 plus global is a good alternative until RedMi Note 5 is released. I still would consider Note 4 though for those who dont want 18:9 screen.

Problem with RedMi 5 plus is that it is tall, 158mm (Note4 151mm). The camera is also mediocre unless you root and install Googlecam.

As said above. Don't be cheap and buy a phone that doesn't support all bands. It just is a pain. Always wait for global version of the phones. Check that the bands are supported before buy, for a nice experience.

Redmi 5 is too big for the misses, think the Mi A1 would be as big as she would go

Associate
Elephone U Pro

That does look like a great phone. I am still using my elephone P6000 pro that i have had for a while now and it has been faultless although it is starting to struggle to get a full day's use without having to charge. I did buy the Maze Alpha but had problems with the bluetooth connection dropping out constantly while using hands free connection in my car. So i ended up going back to my trusty old elephone.

Associate
Delivery experiences

Hi all, ordered my phone from Gearbest on 15th Jan. They shipped on 21st and singapore post shows it arriving in UK processing depot. My singapore reference number also works on the royal mail website. It shows that it arrived in Heathrow on 25th. The problem is the royal mail website now shows that they have no information on my shipment - for 11 days!

Anyone had a similar experience?

Back
Top Bottom