**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

maj

maj

Soldato
I feel this is often the issue though. Anti Android people give it a go, on a chinese knock off type and so don't get a great experience and use it to justify Andriod to be inferior.

I'm not saying it's always going to happen, but my worst experiences on Android have been on cheap Chinese phones...

Valid point and some people would see it that way. Anyway she's gone ahead with the Note 8 without even seeing it in person. Let's wait and see...

Soldato
Not fully up to date here, is the Redmi Note 5 not out yet?

Looking to get something for a family member. Have a Redmi note 4 in the family that is liked, so was hoping for a new version.

I have a MiA1 which I like where do the 5a's fit into the lineup, or how do they compare to the Note?

I think the release of the Redmi Note 5 could be classed as "complicated" ....
There was the Indian release ... which actually seems to be the 5 Plus even though it is called the Note 5 (uses a snapdragon 625)
Then there is the Chinese version which came out later and uses the snapdragon 636 ...
And then there will be the Global version of the chinese version which is due out later this month ...

Dear Xiaomi ... could you make things any more complicated ....

Isn't the 5a a lot lower spec than the other models?

emu

emu

Associate
My plus arrived today . Can confirm 4g working and came with Google play store . What a lot of phone for not a lot of money . I'm currently using a Nokia 8 and this seems not far off .

Battery reminds me of my P2 . Tested audio out and it sounds great . I can see why people go for these phones now they are superb for the price .

One of the best finger print scanners I have used

Last edited by a moderator:

emu

emu

Associate
I'm a bit ****** dropping 295 on the Nokia 8 after using this to be honest . Bigger screen seems as quick camera not far behind and audio and finger print sensor great . Battery superb

maj

maj

Soldato
Is anyone here with EE and use 'My EE' app? The app doesn't like the fact that either my phone is rooted or the custom rom I'm using.

Same for anyone else?

Associate
I have just ordered a Uhans Max 2 as i need a large screen dual sim phone for work. I am getting fed up taking a phone, 10" windows tablet and a 7" android tablet to work every day.
I am redesigning the forms i have to complete everyday so i will only need one device so found the Max 2 for £107 on Gearbest (coming from european warehouse). I don't need anything with a really fast processor so this phone should be ok it has 4gb ram and a 6750T octa-core with 64gb rom. 1920 x 1080 screen and 4300mah battery should do me fine but apparently the camera is rubbish but that does not bother me too much.

emu

emu

Associate
When I got the plus yesterday it was charged at 68 % I'm now at 27% with five hours and 34 minutes of screen on time .

Soldato
It's either lost or waiting for you to pay the customs charge.
I'm hoping it's gonna be a customs charge and not lost! Well, I'm not hoping for a charge but it's better then not getting it at all... Annoying as my note 4 turned up in 2 weeks and this has been about 6 weeks coming now.

That's the norm. Mine spent around 2 weeks at Heathrow as I remember.
Did you get charged?

maj

maj

Soldato
Where did you order from? Gearbest have European warehouses to bypass custom tax. I ordered a Redmi 5A on the 26th March and it arrived at my door on 4th April. No custom fees paid.

Talking of the 5A, it's for my girlfriend's mother and it has come with what looks like a genuine global rom on it. Using the phone itself, I've just updated it to Global 9.2.4.0 (NCKMIEK) but having checking Xiaomi's available roms for this device, I can't see the same version anywhere.

Associate
Where did you order from? Gearbest have European warehouses to bypass custom tax. I ordered a Redmi 5A on the 26th March and it arrived at my door on 4th April. No custom fees paid.

Talking of the 5A, it's for my girlfriend's mother and it has come with what looks like a genuine global rom on it. Using the phone itself, I've just updated it to Global 9.2.4.0 (NCKMIEK) but having checking Xiaomi's available roms for this device, I can't see the same version anywhere.
V9.2.4.0.NCKMIEK is on Xiaomi's website however the latest version for the 5A is V9.5.1.0.NCKMIFA.

9fBsoFj.jpg

maj

maj

Soldato
Hmmm interesting that the phone itself is saying there are no updates available. Might download rom manually and try updating it that way, else just flash it.

Soldato
Did you get charged?
Nope, I went for the free option and by the sounds of it there's only a small chance of getting charged, as opposed to DHL, where you're guaranteed to get charged.

For some reason yesterday I saw 'March' when you wrote 'Februrary'. 41 days is on the long side, but maybe add another few days for the bank holiday weekend and it's not an extraordinarily long time.

Mine took 20 days and AliExpress said it could take longer than that - if you ordered with AliExpress then you should have a protection system through them that will expire a couple of months from purchase date, so make sure you don't let that lapse.

Soldato
J
Nope, I went for the free option and by the sounds of it there's only a small chance of getting charged, as opposed to DHL, where you're guaranteed to get charged.

For some reason yesterday I saw 'March' when you wrote 'Februrary'. 41 days is on the long side, but maybe add another few days for the bank holiday weekend and it's not an extraordinarily long time.

Mine took 20 days and AliExpress said it could take longer than that - if you ordered with AliExpress then you should have a protection system through them that will expire a couple of months from purchase date, so make sure you don't let that lapse.
Just checked tracking again this morning and it's on its way to Bristol so fingers crossed it should be at my local office in the morning!

emu

emu

Associate
Hmmm interesting that the phone itself is saying there are no updates available. Might download rom manually and try updating it that way, else just flash it.

Try setting country to india but just change your clock back to uk time .

Back
Top Bottom