**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Soldato
No one said they would in the first place.
I know :p just saying, is all.

Edit. I must clarify, that I would buy a top end xiaomi handset personally (if my budget could cater to) :) as the specs/price often work out excellent, compared to a fair few of the competition. I wasn’t slamming them at all.

One question. Do they still have ads built in to the OS or is that sort of thing flashable to remove it ?

Last edited:
Soldato
But... they have MANY phones not even available in this market... so again, I'm not sure that's the case.
Yes and they're mainly flagship level the ones that are missing. Hence the push to fill that gap now they can with innovative handsets and a developing foundation.

This is a tough market the high end. You don't come in like a damp squib (Sony) and expect to get anywhere.

Soldato
Yes and they're mainly flagship level the ones that are missing. Hence the push to fill that gap now they can with innovative handsets and a developing foundation.
Yes, but not in this market, right? As said, many not released here.

All I'm saying, we're not really in a position to say 'they should do this if they want to be big' as they're HUGE. Bigger than Huawei, Sony, Google, Oppo etc...

Soldato
Yes, but not in this market, right? As said, many not released here.

All I'm saying, we're not really in a position to say 'they should do this if they want to be big' as they're HUGE. Bigger than Huawei, Sony, Google, Oppo etc...

The way I see it as I've been eluding to, is that they are building up to the flagship western market. Their ultras have been in development for a few years now.

.... If they want to be big in the flagship space is the point. No one here is saying Xiaomi is small time in terms of total handsets sold. Many of us know this and have for a long time. They are a strong player in the mid to low end.

However the point being made is they are a relatively unknown entity in the west and in the western flagship market. If they want this high end pie they have to deliver a super competitive product as Samsung and Apple have most of the pie and aren't letting up so easily.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Has this been discussed?

ZZZZ can they PLEASE stop making phones with curved edges. Like just give me a flagship with a lovely square screen and none of this curved edge crap.

Soldato
The way I see it if they're going to the trouble of making an ultra high end phone, year on year they're doing it to enter this space.
I don't really see how one thing is related to the other? How is Ultra High End linked only to the Western market? We already know it's not available over here, which would indicate they aren't that bothered about us, nor have they ever been.

Soldato
I don't really see how one thing is related to the other? How is Ultra High End linked only to the Western market? We already know it's not available over here, which would indicate they aren't that bothered about us, nor have they ever been.
Why would they go this effort and investment to only then supply a fraction of the market?

Yes the 12sU is starting in China, and I think it'll get a wider release after a while. And if not then it they may do it with the next gen.

11 ultra had a UK release... For your not bothered comment.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news...to-the-uk-and-its-seriously-expensive-4136181

Last edited:
Soldato
then supply a fraction of the market?
Again... they're the third biggest phone manufacturer doing it how they're doing it... as I've said many times (and I don't think I've ever said they won't release in this market, so I'm not sure what the last link proves) I'm just saying... again... we're not really in a position to say 'they should do {insert instruction here} if they want to be big' as they're HUGE. Bigger than Huawei, Sony, Google, Oppo etc... You said they need better brand recognition and credibility, I'm suggesting that is localised to our market and I'm not sure they're that bothered. I don't watch regular TV, so I could be wrong, but do Xiaomi advertise on UK TV like Samsung, Apple, Google etc?

Soldato
I think it's confirmed the 12s series is exclusively for mainland China, the main camera sensor will probably arrive in some other Xiaomi model in due time I imagine.Give it a few years and it'll be in a Poco no doubt.

As the sensor was co-developed with Sony no doubt it will be available off the shelf to other manufacturers once the exclusivity period expires, BBK brands such as real me, Vivo and maybe even Oppo etc might use it.

Looks an interesting phone .

Sharp's Aquos R6 last year used a 1" sensor, and this year's R7, announced last month , uses the same sensor as the 12s ultra.

So we already have another manufacturer who's buying and using the sensor. This is definitely for Japan only though. Of course you can import but in my experience ( owned the first Aquos R moons ago ) carrier ( either SoftBank or docomo) updates are slow and sometimes only available if you have a Japanese sim in place.

Soldato
As good as the main sensor is on the Xiaomi 12sU it's processing isn't a match for the Pixel.

Plus they need to implement an adjustable aperture when a sensor is that large. Tiny plane of focus. Shooting wide open all the time does not work.

Soldato
Hi all,

Looking for a new phone around the £150 mark for my mum to replace a dying Samsung J3. On prime day there's the Samsung M32 for £150 but also the Poco M4 Pro for £170. She doesn't use the phone intensively or anything, but a (relatively) decent camera will be good. Reliability/ease of use will be the most important factor as she's not technologically savvy and will likely have to last her a few years at least. Given that, which would be best to go for?

TLDR: Reliability long term most important, ease of use second, camera quality third, nothing else matters too much.

Thanks.

Soldato
Hi all,

Looking for a new phone around the £150 mark for my mum to replace a dying Samsung J3. On prime day there's the Samsung M32 for £150 but also the Poco M4 Pro for £170. She doesn't use the phone intensively or anything, but a (relatively) decent camera will be good. Reliability/ease of use will be the most important factor as she's not technologically savvy and will likely have to last her a few years at least. Given that, which would be best to go for?

TLDR: Reliability long term most important, ease of use second, camera quality third, nothing else matters too much.

Thanks.

A great price, nothing close for the money.

Soldato
Thanks. How does something like that compare camera quality wise to a Samsung S7 and S9+?

My brother has an S7 so probably needs to replace his as security updates would have stopped a couple of years back.

I have an S9+ and still fine but will probably upgrade in the next year or two. I'd imagine the S9+ camera is still better than the offerings under £200? How much would I have to spend to get a decent camera upgrade?

Back
Top Bottom