The Official Dell 3007WFP thread (including pictures!)

Permabanned
OK, ive got two of these side by side, and the colours on them look totally different.

One was made in Hungary, and the other China.

The Chinese one is a little duller, but the picture is perfect, with no backlight bleed, and the uniformity is amazing.

The hungarian one has a slightly brigher image, and better colours, BUT its got shocking backlight bleed on the right hand side.

Does any knowledgeable person know if ones the romoured Samsung panel and the other an LG?

Both SEEM to play games the same, but telling the difference between 12ms and 16ms is going to be impossible isnt it ??

Any help at all MUCH appreciated, I want to get to the bottom of this one.

Check the state of the "new" one............... (on the left).

DSC_0804.JPG

Last edited:
Caporegime
Im sure there are programs that you can use to analyse the response times accurately - I dont know any off-hand, but Im sure someone like Baddass will be able to oblige.

Looking at that pic (dont have anything thats of better quality at all?) Id keep the old one - that backlight bleed will probably get worse over age and will skew colour uniformity...

P.S. Might wanna link that pic, since you can only show 8*x6* pics on these forums...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Man of Honour
firstly, whoa! 2x 3007WFP?!?! :eek: :p

it might be that they are using two different panels, from my understanding they were supposed to be using the Samsung PVA panel, which is what the spec would indicate, but there were some rumours that early stock would feature the LG.Philips panel as used in the Apple 30"CD. However, im not sure whether this has happened or not, but those two models you have certainly sounds like they are different.

However, backlight issues aside, it might be down to having one connected on DVI and one on VGA perhaps? how do you have them hooked up? It might be that one is not calibrated to the same standard as the other, but modern IPS and PVA panels should both offer some very decent colour reproduction so you should be able to get them looking very alike regardless.

Try using this very crude pixel response tester here. you need to use the cursor keys on the keyboard to adjust the rate at which the two boxes flash until they are at the same frequency, and look pretty much like they are both on white all the time, just flashing really fast. Try that on both, it should give a crude indication of the ISO black > white response time. However, i would expect both IPS and PVA panels to behave quite similarly at this point, since they pretty much top at around 12 - 16ms anyway on both technologies. Grey to Grey might vary considerably, but this prog only measures black to white transition.

you could also run pixperan on both screens at the same time to see which one shows more ghosting than the other?

Permabanned
ok first of all thanks for the replies.....

The crap one on the left IS an RMA for the one on the right.

the whole replacement from beginning to end was a total ballsup.

Call centres in India, Wrong names, wrong addresses, got delivered to the wrong place, no pickup of the old one was arranged, spent hours on the phone to them, carrier was waiting at the wrong address to pick up the replacement again, no one there knew what was going on..... etc etc, you get the drift.

Anyway, the plot thickens, the slightly "yellower" colour temperature one is a Revision A00, and the brighter knackered backlight one is a Revision A01.

Interesting.

Needless to say the knackered one is going back, and it will keep going back until I get a decent monitor!

There is a sticker on the back of the screen that tells you the revision.

Id be inclined to say the A01 is a little faster than the A00, but I have no evidence for that really, its virtually impossible to tell the difference with fast moving things.

Im going to have to take a better pic of the backlight so Dell can see just how shocking it really is.

The build quality of the A01 Hungarian one is rubbish, nothing fits properly, and it just isnt what you would expect a high end monitor to be finished like.

Permabanned
Baddass said:
sounds likely to be just poor build quality, but using the same panel

Im not so sure.

Different revisions, different colour.....

Ones a higher temp colour, the others more of a Red.

Either way, that backlight bleed is totally unnacceptable.

Associate
What is backlight bleed? Is it where the screen looks unusually bright in certain areas?
I haven't noticed any problems with mine yet, so maybe I'm lucky.
What's the best way to check this monitor for problems? The only gripe I have so far is some ghosting but I've no idea how much of that is acceptable.
I'll check out the revision number of my screen when I get home from work too.

Soldato
Backlight bleed is when you can see the backlight through the panel. If you look at the panel on the left you can see that the corners are rather bright, especially in the bottom right

The whole screen should be black - the backlight bleed is the brighter corners. You can see that the left hand screen is worse than the right hand screen

Associate
so i should set to a black screen with lights off? I did that and it's ever so slightly brighter in the corners - but it doesn't appear like anything i would notice with an image on the screen.

Mine is revision A00, made in China

Soldato
Wow, Far cry on that shot looks, a little larger on the 3007WFP. Better game play as you can see more than on smaller 'non' widescreen monitors. Might give you an advantage when playing online.

Anyways, I cant really justify buying a 3007WFP as a desktop monitor, unless you do a lot of multimedia, dvd play etc. Normal useage, I think its a little overkill tbh.

Associate
Mine

Absolutely bloody fantastic for playing games on tbh. I was a bit concerned when buying it that I would be moving around the screen due to the size. But after a day or two you get used to it. simply dwarfs my 2405.

1141230006_3_FT79_desktop_image1024.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
i would do, but cant get the 2 next to each other to measure.

the 2405 is on the floor at the moment tilted upwards so i can see it :eek:

need a new bloody desk now for the 2 of them together.

i really want to take a pic of this. its ideal. the 3007 overshadowing the 2405, and the 106" er behind both :D

might look am MFI ( :eek: ) or somewhere for a decent desk

Back
Top Bottom