*** The Official Destiny Thread (now includes 2.0 and TTK) ***

Associate
Just started playing this after getting a PS4 last weekend and it's really enjoyable. I'm an MMO player of old, so the whole quest/mission hub structure is nothing new, but the way the missions play out can make you feel like a real bad-ass. Just done the one with the sword which was pretty cool and the atmosphere is great. I'm only about level 10 so far, but loving it.
Any tips for a brand new player?
PSN id is WHUJeff.

Soldato
Cool, thanks guys. :)

I know exactly what to do in the raids (Forever 29 was definitely a thing for me.... :o) but my little level 9 Warlock is somewhat lacking atm.

Its weird though, on the Xbone I am thinking "what will my first exotic be?!", whereas on the PS4 I am thinking "I wonder when I will finally the get the Zen Metoer".

Now I know the answer to both; Zen Metoer and on Xbone... (I know it is a PS exclusive but my RNG seems to be that bad atm!). :p

Associate

I know exactly what to do in the raids (Forever 29 was definitely a thing for me.... :o) but my little level 9 Warlock is somewhat lacking atm.

Its weird though, on the Xbone I am thinking "what will my first exotic be?!", whereas on the PS4 I am thinking "I wonder when I will finally the get the Zen Metoer".

Now I know the answer to both; Zen Metoer and on Xbone... (I know it is a PS exclusive but my RNG seems to be that bad atm!). :p

Least you wont have to go through the echo chamber strike!

Still a reasonable group of us on Xbox playing pretty frequently and its always fun to laugh at Gimps lack of VoC although dont feel too bad for him as rng has given him 3 335 chars

my GT is same as username WriteThatD0wn

Soldato
Least you wont have to go through the echo chamber strike!

Still a reasonable group of us on Xbox playing pretty frequently and its always fun to laugh at Gimps lack of VoC although dont feel too bad for him as rng has given him 3 335 chars

my GT is same as username WriteThatD0wn

I always feel the love, it's especially felt when at the end of completion everyone goes deathly quiet as the VoC appears for them while I swear myself into a fit at acquiring my eleventy millionth Timebreaker :o

I have had some quite frightening luck RNG wise though I can't deny. I now have 22 335 Primary Weapons for example :eek:

Caporegime
Would anyone be up for CoE tonight? Tried to do it on Sat night with TX0409, but we couldn't get a third :(

I managed to do it last night with a random, just the 2 of us and we did the sigil albeit took us 3 full runs with a few wipes but got it done.

Wasn't difficult, first round u want to aim for at least 5k score wise then 2nd round and 3rd round aim for about 13k to get the 30k high score. Then just keep running CoE till u hit the 90k.

Alternatively just post a game up on 100 and u should get a couple willing to help u out.

Soldato
Bluebear - I might be on tonight past 10PM (watching GoT first) so happy to help out if you are on.

Mrs and I duo'd it relatively easily.

The key we found was for each of us to tag every enemy, that way we bolstered our score with assists. I think we ended up with ~42.8k and ~47k. Annoyingly we had to run a third round for the armour despite being ~ <1k shy of 90k....

First round is easy peasy (nothing shielded), second round is a right pain as all of the acolytes are void shielded whilst the third round is again easy peasy (nothing shielded).

Soldato
Just started playing this after getting a PS4 last weekend and it's really enjoyable. I'm an MMO player of old, so the whole quest/mission hub structure is nothing new, but the way the missions play out can make you feel like a real bad-ass. Just done the one with the sword which was pretty cool and the atmosphere is great. I'm only about level 10 so far, but loving it.
Any tips for a brand new player?
PSN id is WHUJeff.

My best advice is:

*Do all the bounties you can when you can, they'll give nice boosts to your level.
*When decrypting engrams do them one at a time. This way if you decrypt one that is a higher level than your current gear you can then equip it and give yourself more of a chance of getting even higher gear on the next decryption as your overall light level should be higher. (I hope that makes sense?!?) I read it somewhere and it definitely appears to work for me. Probably becomes less relevant once you reach the realms of level 40/light level 300+

Grinding patrols has always worked well for me too especially somewhere where there are public events/other people to help you with them. This should give you a mix of engrams/strange coins and motes of light/materials among other things. :)

Associate

As Write says, still plenty of us on XB1 playing add me up too if you like, GT is Kahuna Jay

I reckon Jay is stealing them all!

It's my SuperSpecialVoCTechnique of sitting on my ass outside a locked door for 5 mins and pinching all the lootz! :D :p

Soldato
Added you all (or at least everyone I saw). :)

Now up to level 15.

Mrs is mocking me with her "all blue" loadout. Here I am without even a single blue weapon.... *sad music playing on the worlds smallest violin*..

Associate
My best advice is:

*Do all the bounties you can when you can, they'll give nice boosts to your level.
*When decrypting engrams do them one at a time. This way if you decrypt one that is a higher level than your current gear you can then equip it and give yourself more of a chance of getting even higher gear on the next decryption as your overall light level should be higher. (I hope that makes sense?!?) I read it somewhere and it definitely appears to work for me. Probably becomes less relevant once you reach the realms of level 40/light level 300+

Grinding patrols has always worked well for me too especially somewhere where there are public events/other people to help you with them. This should give you a mix of engrams/strange coins and motes of light/materials among other things. :)

Thank you very much. Grabbing the bounties every time I return to hub. Didn't know about the engram trick so will do that. What are the materials used for. The ones I get for de-constructing items I can see are used for upgrades, is there a crafting type system for the other materials?
Is there a good site or wiki that explains all this?

Soldato
Thank you very much. Grabbing the bounties every time I return to hub. Didn't know about the engram trick so will do that. What are the materials used for. The ones I get for de-constructing items I can see are used for upgrades, is there a crafting type system for the other materials?
Is there a good site or wiki that explains all this?

Yeah, i just used to decrypt them all in a pad bashing fashion and then check after.. :o:D

If you break down un-needed weapons and armour you get weapon and armour materials that are required for upgrades/infusions of higher light level gear. Then you have the spin metal(Earth), spirit blooms(Venus), helium filaments(Moon), relic iron(Mars) and wormspore(Dreadnought) that are required to upgrade certain weapons/armour. i.e. to unlock strength boosts, throw grenades further etc etc.

Also, if you haven't already joined one of the factions do that too. That way you are getting another line of XP and possible rewards from the factions themselves. I'm aligned to the Dead Orbit guy near where you buy new spaceships in the hanger. (There are 2 others, one near the speaker and one just upstairs in the hanger. They just have faction specific weapons that you can only get from them.) So basically as an when you get Vanguard experience from this point you get experience with your chosen faction. You can also dump all your motes of light on them to increase your reputation without actually doing anything. :p They give you purple drops every time you level up with them. (Although I've ended up with motes of light/strange coins on occasion... :mad:)

And one other thing i would say is invest time in Iron Banner when that comes along. I did the last one with about 240 light and although it was pretty tough to begin with i got a lot of decent drops and ended up in the 290's by then end of the week. along with some good weapons and gear.

Wiki wise i haven't got a clue, this is all just stuff I've picked up myself.:)

Associate
And one other thing i would say is invest time in Iron Banner when that comes along. I did the last one with about 240 light and although it was pretty tough to begin with i got a lot of decent drops and ended up in the 290's by then end of the week. along with some good weapons and gear.

240 light in iron banner is brave! You must have been getting one shot by scout rifles lol

Soldato
240 light in iron banner is brave! You must have been getting one shot by scout rifles lol

It was tough in the beginning (I think my k/d is 0.93 so i was dying fairly often.. :o) It will be interesting to get my email from bungie with the IB stats.

It definitely hones your skills though and makes you play a bit smarter knowing your disadvantaged. It helped that the IB this time round was team based and not every man for themselves I also got a 300 Suros Regime elsewhere during IB week that probably helped too. And to be honest, even if you are **** as long as you take part you will get some decent drops at some point. I really wanted the Iron banner vestments but kept getting multiple Tormods Bellows, iron hoods and iron legs... Still, getting level 5 IB meant i got the shaders, emblems and class armour for xp bonuses for next time.

Oh that's another one for the guy asking for tips. When IB is on don't cash in the weekly's until the Monday as you get 150% of their value then. You get gear from Lord Saladin for hitting IB rank 3 and 5 but make sure you go to see him at 3 before you hit 5 otherwise you lose the gear from getting to level 3. (He doesn't give you double if you wait until 5 to go and see him)

Soldato
Oh that's another one for the guy asking for tips. When IB is on don't cash in the weekly's until the Monday as you get 150% of their value then. You get gear from Lord Saladin for hitting IB rank 3 and 5 but make sure you go to see him at 3 before you hit 5 otherwise you lose the gear from getting to level 3. (He doesn't give you double if you wait until 5 to go and see him)

Even if you don't plan to run Iron Banner on a specific day still pick up the bounties (3 Gold Weeklies and 3 Green Dailies) so they are there ready for when you are going to run Iron Banner. If you also have any of the Iron Banner specific gear like Emblem, Shader, Class Item then make sure they are equipped when running Iron Banner.

If you have multiple characters then get your main to rank 5 as fast as possible as the other characters will get bonus xp and you can get them to rank 5 fast. I think it took me over 50 games for my first character and my third took me 13 games and only having to cash in one gold bounty.

I personally prefer to run IB over the weekend and grind out all three characters (and then some more from fellow xbox players - I have done at least 5 characters for each of the last 2 Iron Banner Events)

Back
Top Bottom