*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

I've been grinding a slave run between a couple of star systems when I accidentally hit a planet's atmosphere. I was taken out of FSD and dumped in low orbit of the planet as usual when this happens. I turn around to fly away from the planet and hit boost to get away faster. My shields drop and my ship then explodes and off goes 10 million credits on insurance which destroyed the last few hours grind. I'm just glad I had enough for insurance this time. Last time I lost my ship, I was a few million short.

edit: make that 15,000,000, I forgot about my cargo.

Last edited:
Lovely pics man. How the hell do you get it looking so nice?
Could you post settings etc?

Thanks bro. I use EDFX 2.3.1.6 and apply the 'Interstellar feeling full effects' profile and 'Green Lantern' HUD colour

Not really, although the two shield cell banks I fired pumped out way more heat than they used to and fried my ship, so if they patched that since I last played then you could sorta say it was the game.

Tbh I agree. I was just begging. He did say he wouldn't do it again

Make sure you dont have all SCBs enabled. Disable two of them in the right hand menu or all two (or three) will fire simultaneously and you'll hit 400F. Sorry if this is something you know ;)

just claimed my biggest haul from a res site, 1.3mil in one trip. Over the moon that I purchased a kill warrant scanner, got me 700k from one warrant!

so I hit my first mil in cash moneys, puts me at 1.8mil now so progressing well for not being to much of a grind.

EDFX makes a great difference doesn't it, using the same settings my self.

Just bought a Cobra mk3...again, this being the 3rd time. Just fancied having a short distance high speed smuggler. Have an Asp for long distance stuff and the Python for bigger tonnage.
Was also wondering about my home base. I'm presently on the border of Fed and Imp space, meaning that it's fairly easy to get either mission, or also for Duval. The problem I have is that it's not a big station, and means travelling 20KY for most serious ship upgrades. Any thoughts?

20 ly is only 2 jumps in a cobra. Sounds alright to me. Are you with a power faction?

20 ly is only 2 jumps in a cobra. Sounds alright to me. Are you with a power faction?

I'm with A Duval, which is part of the reason for my present location. Very close to Waimiri, which is a crime sweep zone for Vish (garrison for Duval).
20LY is a single jump in my Cobra, but a bit longer in the FAS.

Thinking about it, I'm considering moving back into Fed space soon to focus on Fed missions. Should make Lord this week, as I fancy a Clipper. Once that's wrapped up, I'll be aiming towards a Corvette, which will be a LONG drag, as I'm level 6 as a Fed right now.

I'm with A Duval, which is part of the reason for my present location. Very close to Waimiri, which is a crime sweep zone for Vish (garrison for Duval).
20LY is a single jump in my Cobra, but a bit longer in the FAS.

Thinking about it, I'm considering moving back into Fed space soon to focus on Fed missions. Should make Lord this week, as I fancy a Clipper. Once that's wrapped up, I'll be aiming towards a Corvette, which will be a LONG drag, as I'm level 6 as a Fed right now.

Ooh that's a long haul. You could flog all your ships to help fund it though. I have my eyes on a Cutter (I loved my Clipper so it seemed right) so I'm facing a similar slog. Still need to get my Python back up to scratch as well. Keeping my cobra for fun and for high risk smuggling as well as planetary stuff. It's nice to have a small ship with such a low buyback

Ooh that's a long haul. You could flog all your ships to help fund it though. I have my eyes on a Cutter (I loved my Clipper so it seemed right) so I'm facing a similar slog. Still need to get my Python back up to scratch as well. Keeping my cobra for fun and for high risk smuggling as well as planetary stuff. It's nice to have a small ship with such a low buyback

By the time I have the rank for a Corvette, I'm guessing I'll have more than enough cash. Being fair, I'm not trying to rush things, so no mega stacking of shadow missions. Just doing what I feel like at the time.

I've lowered myself to slave trading.

In true capitalist Federation style I'm shipping Imperial slaves around the Empire for profit. Got myself a nice little route I can do in ~12 mins making ~350k a run in a Type 6.

Once I've got enough credits (and the bounty I've got on my head in my homes systems runs out!) I'm going to head back to the Federation, grab my Cobra and go for a bit more bounty hunting before buying an Asp and heading off towards the core.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or point me to apage where I can see some good keyboard and joystick mapping? I have just installed the game and really want to get into it and im still learning the basics of flights. Im quite confused over the settings for thrust. My joystick has a thrust stick but im unsure if that should be throttle or thrust. At the moment my ship is just drifting around to the right when I want it to go forward :( Any help for a newbie would be welcome. Cheers guys.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or point me to apage where I can see some good keyboard and joystick mapping? I have just installed the game and really want to get into it and im still learning the basics of flights. Im quite confused over the settings for thrust. My joystick has a thrust stick but im unsure if that should be throttle or thrust. At the moment my ship is just drifting around to the right when I want it to go forward :( Any help for a newbie would be welcome. Cheers guys.

what stick do you have?

If you don't have a Hotas with a load of buttons, my suggestion is VoiceAttack.

I do now have a Hotas, which is faster than talking my PC and also slightly less annoying for the missus late at night. Otherwise, I'd still be using VA, which is a great method to deal with the complexities of ED. I had something like 30+ commands preset in VA. For throttle, I used:
- Stop (set throttle to 0)
- Quarter (set throttle to 25%)
etc

Seriously, it's good stuff and far more immersive than trying to find what feels like random buttons.

I have to say that I've no idea how you'd control Elite with a KB/Mouse.
The simplest/cheapest solution IMO is a wired Xbox controller. I used one when I started playing ED and my son is still using it with my laptop.
If you can't afford a full Hotas, it's a good option.

If you don't have a Hotas with a load of buttons, my suggestion is VoiceAttack.

I do now have a Hotas, which is faster than talking my PC and also slightly less annoying for the missus late at night. Otherwise, I'd still be using VA, which is a great method to deal with the complexities of ED. I had something like 30+ commands preset in VA. For throttle, I used:
- Stop (set throttle to 0)
- Quarter (set throttle to 25%)
etc

Seriously, it's good stuff and far more immersive than trying to find what feels like random buttons.
Hmm that's actually a damn good idea thanks Suk... will download that tonight and see what other uses I can find for it.

Depending on what I'm doing in-game I actually prefer to use the Xbox360 Controller over my Saitek X-55, exploring is definitely simpler/easier just using the Xbox pad, only time the X-55 is superior is in combat or more interactive stuff. Like others say though KB/Mouse is probably the worst way to play ED but some people really like it, horses for courses and all that. :p

I've been grinding a slave run between a couple of star systems when I accidentally hit a planet's atmosphere. I was taken out of FSD and dumped in low orbit of the planet as usual when this happens. I turn around to fly away from the planet and hit boost to get away faster. My shields drop and my ship then explodes and off goes 10 million credits on insurance which destroyed the last few hours grind. I'm just glad I had enough for insurance this time. Last time I lost my ship, I was a few million short.

edit: make that 15,000,000, I forgot about my cargo.

Well, after my loss and report of such, here's the reply:

Thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear that you have had this issue.

Checking over your ship log I can see where this incident occurred. It looks like you did indeed collide with the planet surface from the inside.
So as a sign of goodwill on this occasion I have returned the lost value of 14,991,844cr to your account.

I hope this helps you out and if you have any further issues, questions or concerns then please let us know.

Kind Regards,

CMDR

So do be careful of this phenomenon!

Back
Top Bottom