*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Ok.... I see what you mean about scanning a system..... yet even more that need binding... gave up a d **** pirates for 20mins instead.

The hud and UI really really need some working on, its a shambles. Hell a A380 requires less buttons to press :)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Ok, and just caught up with all the shenanigans on this, overall the mining is a improvement but the new FSS scanning system is pretty bad, I am amazed at cumbersome and clunky it is, more bad game design from FDev... which nicely brings me onto Fdev anncouncing no new content until mid 2020, now we all know this is going to be put back till late 2020 and not working correctly until 2021, so aside from the odd patch now and then the game is pretty much dead and running on life support. Its even been raise that ED will become EDII and that way they get around the lifetime passes.... time will tell.

Jumping at straws i do wonder why and the only conclusion (based on zero evidence :) ) is that we will be seeing a new VR headset in 2020 better than the current generation with ED being the showcase maybe :)

Spent more time watching videos on elite than actually playing elite, sad state of affairs so such a great IP.

Permabanned
Ok, and just caught up with all the shenanigans on this, overall the mining is a improvement but the new FSS scanning system is pretty bad, I am amazed at cumbersome and clunky it is, more bad game design from FDev... which nicely brings me onto Fdev anncouncing no new content until mid 2020, now we all know this is going to be put back till late 2020 and not working correctly until 2021, so aside from the odd patch now and then the game is pretty much dead and running on life support. Its even been raise that ED will become EDII and that way they get around the lifetime passes.... time will tell.

Jumping at straws i do wonder why and the only conclusion (based on zero evidence :) ) is that we will be seeing a new VR headset in 2020 better than the current generation with ED being the showcase maybe :)

Spent more time watching videos on elite than actually playing elite, sad state of affairs so such a great IP.
I see, dont think ill bother myself. I want to but i just know after a couple of jumps ill just quit for another 12 months.

Soldato
Hey guys :)

Picked this us and a cheap HOTAS stick at the weekend and have smashed about 10 hours with a friend already :p

Anyone got any tips or tricks for starting out?

Did some bounty hunting in a resource extraction zone, bought a Hauler and did some cartographic exploration which netted me about 14mil cr, which allowed me to buy a Vulture and upgrade for more bounty hunting goodness.

Think we're going to look at mining next, is there anything else fun to consider?

Soldato
@Buddy I'm enjoying it so far. There's a huge amount of depth from what I can see so far, even just flying around system to system is pretty fun.

I think it's the kind of game which can be quite a grind, but that's what me and a friend were looking for, just cruising around doing missions while chatting.

I'd definitely recommend grabbing a cheap joystick though, was playing on PS4 controller for the first day and changing to a stick has made it a different games!

I grabbed the below from Argos for £37.99.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/thrustmaster-t-flight-hotas-x-joystick-pc-ps3-2960703-gc-027-th.html

Soldato
I've always been tempted by this. Is it a sim? Can I pick up and play? Much depth?

I've tried eve but that was a bit ott for me.
As a beginner I'd say it's pretty rough nowadays. They nerfed some of the options that could net you enough cash for an asp explorer quite early and now it's a bit of a grind fest.

You cant really do anything competently in this game unless your in at least an asp ex.

Plus the bext big update is a year away so you can either wait and see what that's about or start now grind the asp knowing that when it does drop you should be set to engage the content in a half decent manner.

It's a sim like,its an absorbing experience but does ultimately lack motives mainly because questing is super generic and the world events dont really have much of an impact and there are not enough random encounters that are telegraphed (like there are huge battleships warping in to battles but it's down entirely to luck if you ever get to see good stuff like that)....but these are all things they have and still are working to improve.

But it is better than star citizen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm ok. Doesn't sound too welcome. Thanks for the detailed reply. So is it an mmo? Do you see other players randomly? Pvp areas?

I'm going to completely disagree with his post, it's absolutely fine excepting the near vertical learning curve of controls and how the game works (if you have any flight sim experience it'll be a far shallower curve for you), in game credits are very easy to make these days and can be done very early without the need to for an AspX. Also the next update (due well before next year) is set to enhance the new player experience. It's an MMO in the sense that it's a single Galaxy, you will see other players if you are in the right mode and the right place, PvP is allowed anywhere if you are in open play so be warned.

Soldato
Hmm ok. Doesn't sound too welcome. Thanks for the detailed reply. So is it an mmo? Do you see other players randomly? Pvp areas?

I agree with @Dano, while the learning curve is STEEP (even the controls are a nightmare to get your head around as he says), once you're on your way and have a list of things to do you can plod along earning credits & admiring the galaxy!

If you do pick it up drop me a trust, once i've got established i'd happily help you copy what i'm doing at the moment (Disclaimer: I don't really know what i'm doing but it's been fun :p)

Soldato
As a beginner I'd say it's pretty rough nowadays. They nerfed some of the options that could net you enough cash for an asp explorer quite early and now it's a bit of a grind fest.

You cant really do anything competently in this game unless your in at least an asp ex.

Plus the bext big update is a year away so you can either wait and see what that's about or start now grind the asp knowing that when it does drop you should be set to engage the content in a half decent manner.

It's a sim like,its an absorbing experience but does ultimately lack motives mainly because questing is super generic and the world events dont really have much of an impact and there are not enough random encounters that are telegraphed (like there are huge battleships warping in to battles but it's down entirely to luck if you ever get to see good stuff like that)....but these are all things they have and still are working to improve.

But it is better than star citizen.

I cant agree with any of the stuff about money earning. it is hard NOT to earn insane money or get to the ranks of elite super fast now imo.. and that is actually one of my issues with the game.

the next ... 2 i think updates are aimed at new player experiences, one should be coming in a month or 2. (Frontier said small updates coming through out the year every 3-4 months)

I wont argue with you about the lack of motives or the generic missions etc etc. There is a lot missing in elite that really hamper the game. The problem is, what I find to be really good and makes me want to play others find grindy or pointless waste of time OTOH i really could not care less about what some people feel need to be added asap.

ultimately the problem is FD have not laid down the kind of game they want elite to be (actually they have they just didnt stick to it) instead they are as vague as possible to get as many people to buy as possible, and ultimately leads to a lot of salt and a high attrition rate, esp on the official forums.

Soldato
For those who are just thinking about starting out, i've been following this video and got plenty of credits and had great fun doing it :)

Just finished the mining section towards the end and cruising through and asteroid belt and scanning everything then orbiting an motherload after blowing it up was awesome!

Soldato
I've decided to get back into this. Had a hell of a palaver with my Cougar HOTAS not working until I cleared it out. I did the first bit of flight training on my 4K Acer Nitro and ED is disabling two of my monitors when I exit - my Acer 4k and my Dell 4k - they won't re-enable in Geforce Control Panel and only come back after a reboot. My Asus 3440x1440 is the only one left working. I'm running ED at 4k in full-screen mode. (RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10.)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
WTF has happened to Elite?
Haven't played in a number of months. Not sure why, but had a desire to have a fly around and thought that I could finish the research on the Guardian weapons.

Load it up, grab my Asp, head off to a Guardian site. Game crashes on the way. Finally get there, and get on with the stupidly repetitive grind of needing to repeat the same process around 10 times. I had rather hoped that under the "QOL" that they might have changed this by now. As per previously, the only way to reset the site for the weapons blueprint is to exit. Do that, and the game stalls, and can only be resolved by ending the game in task manager.

So in nearly a year, they've still failed to update one of the most annoying grind elements and have introduced two bugs.
Were all the good developers re-deployed elsewhere within Frontier?

Soldato
Yup, working on the 2020 expansion that is being kept super secret again apart from the potential info attained from the leaked road map that has so far proved to be true.

Edit: Allegedly...

Soldato
Does ED still limit the max number of buttons that can be used on joysticks to 32?
I came here to ask if this game was 'relatively' easy to get into as i bought it on a whim a year ago in a steam sale along with a Thrustmaster hotas(?) joystick - the above question has concerned me somewhat?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I came here to ask if this game was 'relatively' easy to get into as i bought it on a whim a year ago in a steam sale along with a Thrustmaster hotas(?) joystick - the above question has concerned me somewhat?

I wouldn't worry. I ran a clean install onto my new PC and along the way reset all the key. Seems that Elite doesn't actually NEED that many keys mapped, and it was fine. Don't get me wrong, I have a whole bunch of buttons on my HOTAS that I can't use, but that in no way stops me playing Elite.

Ref the more recent issue about the game no allowing exit to desktop and crashing during a jump, well I had no issues last night. As there has been no patch, does make me wonder if the game "saves" data to a central server during these transitions, and whether that was having a spot of bother.
As such, I think I finished collecting the various bits to finish researching all of the Guardian weapons.

Back
Top Bottom