*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Re the learning curve, at first probably best to stick in Solo and avoid Open play. If the official ED forums are to be believed the game is still full of griefers who camp out at the "hot" locations and take great pleasure in shooting people out the sky...because they can. There have even been reports of gankers who camp out at Beagle Point (the Grail of exploration 65K LY from Sol) just so they can wipe out someone who has spent several weeks travelling there and lose all their progress along with their accumulated exploration data. Sadly this is still seen as an accepted gameplay mechanic by those who run FDev even though the consequences can be sickening for the affected player.

Quite how people get their jollies ruining other peoples' progress eludes me, but there goes the human race I guess.

Soldato
Re the learning curve, at first probably best to stick in Solo and avoid Open play. If the official ED forums are to be believed the game is still full of griefers who camp out at the "hot" locations and take great pleasure in shooting people out the sky...because they can. There have even been reports of gankers who camp out at Beagle Point (the Grail of exploration 65K LY from Sol) just so they can wipe out someone who has spent several weeks travelling there and lose all their progress along with their accumulated exploration data. Sadly this is still seen as an accepted gameplay mechanic by those who run FDev even though the consequences can be sickening for the affected player.

Quite how people get their jollies ruining other peoples' progress eludes me, but there goes the human race I guess.

New pilots are now placed in a protected pilots federation area that once left cannot be re-entered so open is generally okay for the new player, it's once they leave the area and enter engineer systems or community goal systems that the you'll usually find the griefers. Such a pity too, being interdicted by human players for pirating reasons or blockades really does enhance the game in my opinion, but being interdicted and destroyed without warning, yeh, I just don't get it either but sadly is far more likely in my experience.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Open play is for griefers, cheats and power groups, it beats me why anyone wants to play in open, unless you are happy and in a position to lose stuff.

Soldato
I found the beginners area useful for about 2 days (I nuked my old Commander and started a new one a few months ago)… At best you will still be leaving it in your Sidewinder and a few k credits to your name. Problem is these "griefers" are flying high end craft with fully engineered weapons and shields so even once you have experience in the game and a better ship yourself, the much acclaimed shout of "git gud" from those who condone this type of activity will not necessarily help you. It wouldn't be so bad but when this is combined with the (IMHO) flawed hard save and rebuy system you stand to lose just too much, particularly in exploration, to chance it.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Open play is for griefers, cheats and power groups, it beats me why anyone wants to play in open, unless you are happy and in a position to lose stuff.

When I was playing regularly, I'd sometimes deliberately play in Open for the scare level, i.e. a way to wake you up a little from the usual repeated jumps.
Having said that:
- I'd never do it in a slow freighter, that's just asking for it
- It wasn't to practice my combat. I get the impression that most griefers will tend towards having PVP optimisations for their ships, meaning that even a decent PVE ship is going to struggle
- My tactics were usually to run away, even if it appeared to be a pretty crap enemy (as he might be with friends). As such, it was often done in a ship optimised for that, i.e. little/no weapons, good jump range and high speed.

Associate
I always wanted to go on a expedition like distant worlds, but didn't fancy being away from the bubble for such a long period. Even more so after I joined a squadron. So during the black fri sale I bought another copy of the game. I found a short expedition on EDSM that was leaving on Boxing Day and ended on New Year's Day. 12k LY.

Took a bit grinding to get my new account and ship ready but I really enjoyed it. It was much more enjoyable exploring with a group, meeting up at the waypoints on the way.
The route took us through some pretty cool sights, the heart & soul nebulas looked awesome.

The formidine rift was a pain for some of the guys to get through to reach the final way point, they had to go circling all over the place to find a way through. I was lucky I spent the time engineering my ship and had a 60ly jump range so didn't have any issues. I didn't even notice there was a rift.

4lo8Z6G.jpg

Jacksons lighthouse start point
xzeHOET.png

GHkZXaX.png

I had a rough start crashing into the planet above and took my hull down to 15%. Luckily it was only 3 jumps back to a station for repairs lol

9DEsUFI.png
OT3YjAr.png

lpG7NXN.png
kkheWMK.png

6P3mGMz.png
NSoCuMe.png
KrZuru8.png

Soldato
got into this recently and following a few guides to get me started, really intriguing game and a lot more polished than say SC. Started mining opal's only to realise its not worth that much compared to previous! Is this something that the devs have nerfed or just a fluctuation in the market?

Starting on Low temp diamonds instead now to make a few quick bucks.

Soldato
got into this recently and following a few guides to get me started, really intriguing game and a lot more polished than say SC. Started mining opal's only to realise its not worth that much compared to previous! Is this something that the devs have nerfed or just a fluctuation in the market?

They did indeed adjust the way prices are for core mined minerals and stuff, they're still a source of silly amounts of money but from what I understand you'll need to make some effort to find markets that offer the best price as demand is quite low.

Soldato
They did indeed adjust the way prices are for core mined minerals and stuff, they're still a source of silly amounts of money but from what I understand you'll need to make some effort to find markets that offer the best price as demand is quite low.
Gonna give low temp diamonds a try tonight, seems a lot better value for your time at the moment thought i saw it drop again today from 1.2 mil to 1 mil now.

Are capital ships a thing now btw?

Soldato
Capital ships have been in the game since day 1, you still can't own one though if that is what you mean?
Ah i see, yeah i meant about owning one. I saw a few previews of what looked like people flying one, one looked like a carrier?

Shame! Would add a whole extra level of gaming experience if they did!

Heres me with my mere Asp X still haha!

Associate

Recent Jan update changed/tweaked the supply/demand system for pricing on opals etc. Mining was a good way to make some quick buck in terms of credits earned per hour. Its still interesting just not worth as much given the recent changes.

Associate
I always wanted to go on a expedition like distant worlds, but didn't fancy being away from the bubble for such a long period. Even more so after I joined a squadron. So during the black fri sale I bought another copy of the game. I found a short expedition on EDSM that was leaving on Boxing Day and ended on New Year's Day. 12k LY.

Took a bit grinding to get my new account and ship ready but I really enjoyed it. It was much more enjoyable exploring with a group, meeting up at the waypoints on the way.
The route took us through some pretty cool sights, the heart & soul nebulas looked awesome.

The formidine rift was a pain for some of the guys to get through to reach the final way point, they had to go circling all over the place to find a way through. I was lucky I spent the time engineering my ship and had a 60ly jump range so didn't have any issues. I didn't even notice there was a rift.

4lo8Z6G.jpg

Jacksons lighthouse start point
xzeHOET.png

GHkZXaX.png

I had a rough start crashing into the planet above and took my hull down to 15%. Luckily it was only 3 jumps back to a station for repairs lol

9DEsUFI.png
OT3YjAr.png

lpG7NXN.png
kkheWMK.png

6P3mGMz.png
NSoCuMe.png
KrZuru8.png
Some nice shots there. Reminds me I need to sort out my camera controls. Like the one where the dwarf/neutron star is sitting behind another star.

Soldato
Ah i see, yeah i meant about owning one. I saw a few previews of what looked like people flying one, one looked like a carrier?

Shame! Would add a whole extra level of gaming experience if they did!

Heres me with my mere Asp X still haha!

Fleet Carriers, they were supposed to be with us uhm... a while ago and have been delayed twice now I think, they are allegedly coming this year, take that with as much salt as you require lol.

Soldato
Recent Jan update changed/tweaked the supply/demand system for pricing on opals etc. Mining was a good way to make some quick buck in terms of credits earned per hour. Its still interesting just not worth as much given the recent changes.

Managed a good haul last night and got lucky with a few void opals spawning rather close to each other. Ontop of that the market demand was pretty high so prices soared to 1.3 mil and managed to cash in! managed to do another half run before going to bed but prices have plummeted again this morning :o. Does this make it so much more interesting!

Fleet Carriers, they were supposed to be with us uhm... a while ago and have been delayed twice now I think, they are allegedly coming this year, take that with as much salt as you require lol.

haha, can't be as bad as SC, been waiting 7 years or whatever it is now so whats another few months on ED :p

Associate
Managed a good haul last night and got lucky with a few void opals spawning rather close to each other. Ontop of that the market demand was pretty high so prices soared to 1.3 mil and managed to cash in! managed to do another half run before going to bed but prices have plummeted again this morning :o. Does this make it so much more interesting!

haha, can't be as bad as SC, been waiting 7 years or whatever it is now so whats another few months on ED :p

I have noticed with deep core mining that once you get the first one (which can take a while sometimes) the next ones spawn very quickly. I've actually moved away from mining a bit after outfitting my ship, going to do some exploration and look for minerals on surface etc for FSD injection and head out of the bubble for a bit.

Soldato
I have noticed with deep core mining that once you get the first one (which can take a while sometimes) the next ones spawn very quickly. I've actually moved away from mining a bit after outfitting my ship, going to do some exploration and look for minerals on surface etc for FSD injection and head out of the bubble for a bit.
Another easy and relaxed way of obtaining raw materials is normal mining, as many mining lasers as possible plus prospector limpets and as many collector limpets as you can (you can happily fit multiple controllers to up the number, you can even map them to the same fire group fire button), don't fit a refinery, then head to your nearest RES, you'll get loads of raw material (asteroids with medium/high content) and can simply trade it up for the higher grade stuff (bonus, you get arx for trading them). If you want to earn funds when doing it just add a refinery but you'll get harassed by pirates in RES sites due to cargo.

Back
Top Bottom