*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
It sounds to me like you have flown to one of the settlements on a planet which are there for mission stuff only. You can't dock at them, they have no services etc. They are there as targets for missions or just to explore in an SRV. They will appear as points you can target on the HUD when you get close to a planet, and they also appear on the NAV map as well, so when you need to go to them you can target them. When you get to them you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a base you could dock at as they look like you should be able to dock, but there is a large distinction between them and actual surface stations you can dock at. These mission settlements will usually have a security rating after their name on the nav panel, with a number of + marks. The landable stations won't have these and will have a different icon next to them in the nav panel as well. You will eventually learn how to tell the difference and ignore the non landable settlements.

Associate
Well I'm almost 1000 hours in and I've finally managed to earn enough cash to buy myself a Fleet Carrier... Currently parked up in Outotch RI-I with 24% tritium left.

Messed up slightly as my mining ship wasn't equipped with a mining laser so i couldn't mine for tritium. After 57 jumps in my 'Conda' I managed to buy myself a couple of 2D mining lasers. another 57 jumps back and I am now mining to try and top up my reserves so I can get back to the bubble :cry:

Soldato
Well I'm almost 1000 hours in and I've finally managed to earn enough cash to buy myself a Fleet Carrier... Currently parked up in Outotch RI-I with 24% tritium left.

Messed up slightly as my mining ship wasn't equipped with a mining laser so i couldn't mine for tritium. After 57 jumps in my 'Conda' I managed to buy myself a couple of 2D mining lasers. another 57 jumps back and I am now mining to try and top up my reserves so I can get back to the bubble :cry:
Ooof i remember seeing the trailer for fleet carriers and at that time i was super into the game, mining void opals like every single night for hours on end! I got bored inevitably and didn't even realise fleet carriers had made it into the game! It's been too long now and i honestly can't even remember any of the controls lol. Will be a learning curve again to get back to where i was before. I got to the point where i had the best in game ship, a ton of money from mining and basically outfitted my anacoda with the best you could get. Be interesting to get back into it now and do it all over again to aim for a fleet carrier!

Associate
apparently, is it true that theres still "unexplored" parts of this game ?
id like to try and be the first to find it

Oh yes, in fact I think there's still only a small proportion of the total number of systems that have ever been visited.

You do need to go a little way away from the inhabited systems, but unexplored systems are surprisingly close to the bubble.

Associate
Ooof i remember seeing the trailer for fleet carriers and at that time i was super into the game, mining void opals like every single night for hours on end! I got bored inevitably and didn't even realise fleet carriers had made it into the game! It's been too long now and i honestly can't even remember any of the controls lol. Will be a learning curve again to get back to where i was before. I got to the point where i had the best in game ship, a ton of money from mining and basically outfitted my anacoda with the best you could get. Be interesting to get back into it now and do it all over again to aim for a fleet carrier!

The cost is ridiculous (5 Billion for the basic carrier) then there's the monthly upkeep on top. I only have ~400 million left which should be plenty to see me through to when im back in the country in june!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Carriers were added for the the folk like myself who played from alpha with untold billions in the bank. The carrier itself is a letdown along with the upkeep costs.

More dev Clueless boobs who do not play the game.

Associate
Grabbed Horizon in the recent crimbo giveaway, and currently pottering around starter areas, figuring stuff out (hyperdrive, supercruise, controls etc). Probably gonna shoot for a dolphin and do passenger tours to see other systems, as it seems quite a visually pleasing game.

I am drawing comparisons with X2 that I played years ago, as the X series world seemed more alive, with a decent economy. Elite Dangerous just seems to be go through a few jumps, collect something, a few jumps back for reward money - rinse and repeat. Or am I missing something with ED?

Associate
wooops

While this sounded very exciting to me when I was playing ED, it became a very boring activity flying from system to system and scanning, eventually I gave up. Especially if you go fairly away from any nearby systems with stations, you have to make sure that you do not get killed/blown before selling the cartographic data to actually get your name on discoveries (on way back). One way to do this is fly outside bubble and then jump to all nearby systems in 1-2LY range, I found a fair few undiscovered systems this way. But as said above, very little of the galaxy is actually discovered.

Associate
wooops

FDev just posted the updated stats. Commanders have explored 0.05% of the galaxy to date.

Essentially, as soon as you're more than 1000Ly from the Bubble, you're almost never in systems that have been visited before, until you home in on the sightseeing destinations: nebulae, the centre, Beagle Point, etc.

Underboss
Grabbed Horizon in the recent crimbo giveaway, and currently pottering around starter areas, figuring stuff out (hyperdrive, supercruise, controls etc). Probably gonna shoot for a dolphin and do passenger tours to see other systems, as it seems quite a visually pleasing game.

I am drawing comparisons with X2 that I played years ago, as the X series world seemed more alive, with a decent economy. Elite Dangerous just seems to be go through a few jumps, collect something, a few jumps back for reward money - rinse and repeat. Or am I missing something with ED?

ive played Elite, Elite Plus, Frontier Elite 2, Elite Final frontier now on ED

Ive also loved X-Beyond the Frontier and expansion pack, X2 + expansions, I'm currently on X3 (or should i say , i did start it, but got side-tracked onto another game and i need to get back to it)

ED is essentially just like the elite games that were before, you pick your destination, Cargo runs, mining, Mercenary, Pirates, smuggler etc etc

Underboss
just upgraded my sidewinder

Power plant is now 2A

Frame shift drive is now 2D

what a difference !!

oh and im just doing a date courier mission, 1st time ive had to go 200,000 LS, my super cruise nearly hit 600c !!!!
i barely hit 30 before !

Soldato
Maybe just me, but you start checking missions for whether the station you need to visit is thousands of Ls away from the point of origin. Takes forever to get to them! (If you scroll down in the mission window, it does share this information.)

A question I have - I just achieved something (not sure what!) that gave me the option to ally with one of the major powers. Should I be doing so, and how should I decide which? Can it be changed later?

Soldato
Maybe just me, but you start checking missions for whether the station you need to visit is thousands of Ls away from the point of origin. Takes forever to get to them! (If you scroll down in the mission window, it does share this information.)

A question I have - I just achieved something (not sure what!) that gave me the option to ally with one of the major powers. Should I be doing so, and how should I decide which? Can it be changed later?
Doing missions for a faction will increase your reputation with them, and the better rep you have, the better paying missions you get from them. If that minor faction is part of one of the major factions (eg federation or empire) it'll also boost rep with them, and this is good because eventually you'll want to increase ranks with the major factions as they unlock systems and ships that are gated behind those ranks.

In short, there is no downside to being allied to any faction. It does slowly degrade over time btw, and obviously taking missions from another faction where you have to do mean things to the faction you're allied with will decrease your rep with them.

Cool fact, doing missions for minor factions also strengthens them in that system, and if enough people support a faction that isn't the top dog in the system it can trigger civil wars and change the kinds of missions in that system and spawn conflict zones to fight in.

Soldato
I've not explained myself right. It's not just the getting to allied status by completing missions.

It's on the 'Galactic powers' window, where I can choose to 'pledge allegiance' to one of 11 powers.

I've also never worked out how to do anything about combat bonds.

Soldato
While this sounded very exciting to me when I was playing ED, it became a very boring activity flying from system to system and scanning, eventually I gave up. Especially if you go fairly away from any nearby systems with stations, you have to make sure that you do not get killed/blown before selling the cartographic data to actually get your name on discoveries (on way back). One way to do this is fly outside bubble and then jump to all nearby systems in 1-2LY range, I found a fair few undiscovered systems this way. But as said above, very little of the galaxy is actually discovered.

This was me, I spent days exploring/trading, I haven't played in years now, if I remember correctly I was way out making my way back in so that I could see an expert to increase my jump drive range. I'm talking about the days just after they brought planetary landings i and you still had to go to each planet and scan it.
Been out so long now probably can't my head around all the changes if I jumped back in

Back
Top Bottom