*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Associate
Thanks. So I might get a lift from there then? I'm not really sure how megaships work. :D
I doubt it, I think these megaships are stationary. They are providing rearm, refuel and repair services, interstellar cartographics, maybe some more.
Once there, use data link scanner on the ship to scan its structure, then choose uplink log and scan it close range, if the megaship is travelling, you will download its flight plan.
Data link scanner is always equipped, just assign it to a fire group.
Best bet would be to coordinate with a carrier travelling to colonia.

There's one leaving tomorrow for colonia. 16hrs of jumping, they may be using a macro or something to guide the carrier, if that is the case, then it's close to impossible to arrange them to wait for you. They published their flight plan with estimated times, so you could risk and wait for them in one of the systems. You would have around 10 mins to board. Pads will get locked before jump.
If you are using discord, all details are on FCOC discord server https://discord.gg/TvFvvB8G
Carrier's name: Marching On Together

i team up with my friend @Ravenger and im having difficulty finding him, especially when in the same system, he can always see me in his Rader, but i need to be like a foot away from him ?

so i was assuming its either sensors (i think i have 3A) or maybe need to zoom out of the radar ?

no idea what's going on, we are wingmen, and done wing nav-lock (which i cant see what this does) also put on "wing lights"

any ideas?

Most likely sensors, they are heat sensitive and your friend might be playing so called cold build - ship is not generating much heat and it's difficult to read.
Wing nav-lock - I used it few times, don't remember details, idea is to fly through a wingmate wake, and you will just follow your friend. No need for everybody to enter GalMap and plot a route.
It takes into account jump ranges, so if follower is flying ship with shorter jump range, route will be plotted using its jump range, nobody left behind.

Last edited:
Soldato
I want to make a point of giving a massive thanks to @yngwie.

I've posted a myriad of questions over the last few pages, and you've been the one to answer almost all of them in great detail. You've increased my understanding of the game's mechanics a huge amount over the last few days. :)

Associate
im running a 5700 XT with no problems

id be inclined to change the asus to either a Powercolor OR Sapphire

also i would post in the Graphics card forum
I asked as people were talking about playing ED in VR so I was wondering what GPUs people are using with ED and Quest 2 and how well it works.

Associate
I want to make a point of giving a massive thanks to @yngwie.

I've posted a myriad of questions over the last few pages, and you've been the one to answer almost all of them in great detail. You've increased my understanding of the game's mechanics a huge amount over the last few days. :)

You're welcome! It's a vast galaxy. We got to help each other, o7.

I asked as people were talking about playing ED in VR so I was wondering what GPUs people are using with ED and Quest 2 and how well it works.
gtx970 - preodyssey, lowered settings, acceptable performance
rtx2060 - performance was OK, still had to lower the settings, card was struggling with on-foot activities (non-VR), but it's not a card's fault really, early odyssey issues, probably would do much better right now.
rtx3060ti - doing fine, settings on max or close to max.

Associate
Have begun my 1st big adventure in my Cobra - a 650ly trip in search of guardian's. Goal being to increase FSD, and already met a helpful engineer.
After a slightly dubious start, as nearly ran out of fuel due to going through a patch of brown stars (didn't have any stations, or settlements in the systems either) so planning routes a little more carefully now.

Strangely, finding the empty co-pilot seat disconcerting, so seriously considering buying either a DBX (cockpit view looks awesome) or a dolphin - just not seen a DBX for sale where I've been to yet.

Can I swap modules I've bought for my Cobra to whichever I get?

@ShiWarrior - you still in your sidewinder?

Associate

Modules are universal and can be fitted to any ship, provided that there's a bay of the required size. Some combinations also won't work, or be practical, due to weight or power constraints.

Some modules are required, so if you want to move them to another ship you have to have another to put into its place. For example, if you've got an engineered 4A FSD in your Cobra that you want to move to your shiny new Dolphin, you'll need a spare FSD to hand to put into the Cobra in its place.

Underboss
Have begun my 1st big adventure in my Cobra - a 650ly trip in search of guardian's. Goal being to increase FSD, and already met a helpful engineer.
After a slightly dubious start, as nearly ran out of fuel due to going through a patch of brown stars (didn't have any stations, or settlements in the systems either) so planning routes a little more carefully now.

Strangely, finding the empty co-pilot seat disconcerting, so seriously considering buying either a DBX (cockpit view looks awesome) or a dolphin - just not seen a DBX for sale where I've been to yet.

@ShiWarrior - you still in your sidewinder?

no, Cobra MK III

Associate

Did you take an SRV? You will need it.
There are megaships in guardian space with outfitting service, so that's always an option.

Associate
Modules are universal and can be fitted to any ship, provided that there's a bay of the required size. Some combinations also won't work, or be practical, due to weight or power constraints.
Some modules are required, so if you want to move them to another ship you have to have another to put into its place. For example, if you've got an engineered 4A FSD in your Cobra that you want to move to your shiny new Dolphin, you'll need a spare FSD to hand to put into the Cobra in its place.
Good to know, although haven't seen humanity for a while now - am in deep space somewhere

no, Cobra MK III
Fine choice.

Did you take an SRV? You will need it.
There are megaships in guardian space with outfitting service, so that's always an option.
I don't leave without one, as previous local planetary scan jobs always ended up on a planet.

Just figured out how to retrieve salvage whilst scanning systems on my many jumps - lol

Associate
yeah no worries

there an ED one in the VR section, which might be more suited though
@melmac doesn't very often come this way, and he'll be able to offer good advice
I had a quick read of the VR section and they seem to say that Nvidia cards are much better for VR with a quest so I'm going to forget those AMD cards.

Associate
my Cobra is fully upgraded now

next , buying a large cargo vessel, then I'm going to kit out my Cobra as a fighter jet

Awesome! Would be great to try combat, but I won't without a stick (need to re-condition my saitek evo cyborg - lots of dust)
Controller and keyboard work well enough.

Making money exploring deep space (no idea how much as need to find a station to hand stuff in) with current plan to make an exploring dolphin

Underboss
well i got 14 million to spend, ive just got to go back on and buy the top FSD, then im done

the 2 optional slots are Fuel Scoop, and Cargo Bay

so I have 40T worth of space now to do missions of cargo for a while and boom missions etc

then ill get a nice big cargo vessel and sell the optional cargo bay for shield generators/power
downgrade all the cargo space to make the ship faster and more manerable
then it be good to go i think

Soldato
My aborted attempt to get to Colonia manually is nearly at an end. About 30 more jumps to get to the Droju system I found as an alternative. I've been just doing a few at a time over the last few days so it doesn't get too boring. It will be interesting to see how much I make from the exploring - assuming I don't get shanked on the way to the first station!
There wasn't much of high value to surface scan - maybe 4 or 5 water worlds - but I must have used the FSS on a good 150-200 systems, so there should be a decent amount of money out of it anyway. Maybe even enough to turn my Asp Explorer into a Python? (On top of the cash I already had.)

Soldato
Well, I made it to the Evergreen! When I came to sell my cartographic data I had ~270 systems worth. 26 of them I was the first to discover. Made 36.5M from it.

Soldato
I think that's what it means. I'm no expert!

I'm back to being tempted to go to Colonia, now I'm on the 'bridge' route rather than striking out blindly. But it's still over 1000 jumps away! I think I have to be sensible and head back towards the bubble. Or do some forum searching for a megaship I can catch a lift from.

Back
Top Bottom