*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Will there be differences between the three stations where this has happened? Or likely the same on each place?

Also, is the fact that I got some kind of disturbance in hyperspace on the way in to the system scripted? My ship shut down entirely for a few seconds.

Associate
Will there be differences between the three stations where this has happened? Or likely the same on each place?

Also, is the fact that I got some kind of disturbance in hyperspace on the way in to the system scripted? My ship shut down entirely for a few seconds.
Haha, you got hyperdicted! I'm guessing you're in a ship with a fairly restricted cockpit view? There was a Thargoid off to one side, scanning you and then heading off when it didn't find any reason to kill you. Yet. :cool:

I don't think it's completely scripted, but it did happen to me on my first trip to a burning station, and hasn't happened since, so maybe it's more likely the first time you visit a system in that state.

And no, there won't be any real differences between the three stations in this state.

Associate

I don't think it's completely scripted, but it did happen to me on my first trip to a burning station, and hasn't happened since, so maybe it's more likely the first time you visit a system in that state.

Happened to me too - does make you wonder if it's scripted...did scan it's wake for good measure

Soldato
Haha, you got hyperdicted! I'm guessing you're in a ship with a fairly restricted cockpit view? There was a Thargoid off to one side, scanning you and then heading off when it didn't find any reason to kill you. Yet. :cool:

And no, there won't be any real differences between the three stations in this state.

Asp Explorer. I did see that there was a thargoid directly behind me. But I didn't stick around to sight see! :D

Associate
Happened to me too - does make you wonder if it's scripted...did scan it's wake for good measure
It does happen in certain circumstances - around areas with thargoids presence, but is rather random.
Some time ago, a youtube content creator mentioned they flew around for few hours trying to get hyperdicted to record it for their later show. No luck.

Associate
Are you folks using HOTAS or pad?
hotas x-56
quest 2

I was doing re-stock all. But I didn't spot heatsinks in the list when I went to the manual version. Might have just missed it though!

I'm finding (or was before I switched to passengers) collector limpets annoyingly inconsistent.

if you release a limpet while targeting something you want to pick up, limpet will do just that and expire.
If you release a limpet without a target, it will collect everything that is not blacklisted, until it gets destroyed - now this might be its lifespan expiring or just crashing into something.

Associate
Haven't touched Elite in years but yet this thread has piqued my interest.
Might have to fire it up and try to remember how to fly all over again.

Ah, the good old days when it was in beta and I only had a dozen planets to fly around. I even drew my own map of the whole 10 planets with good trade routes between them.
Now there's a tad more then 12 planets :)

Soldato
if you release a limpet while targeting something you want to pick up, limpet will do just that and expire.
If you release a limpet without a target, it will collect everything that is not blacklisted, until it gets destroyed - now this might be its lifespan expiring or just crashing into something.

Yeah. Ironically, it was working better when I didn't understand it!

On my fist visit I just spammed the limpet firing button without targeting anything and it picked up loads of random stuff. On my second, after reading a little, I targeted individual stuff and it seemed to sometimes pick that stuff up. On my third, after reading more and realising untargeted could pick up more, I threw them out without targeting again... and they collected nothing! Mind you, on that third trip I had docked too, so didn't have as much time to hang around waiting for them to return. Anyway I have found the passenger missions are more straightforward, so moved to them.

I'll likely move on to something else altogether today. Having picked (randomly) a power to align to a few days ago, I might head towards their systems and try out some powerplay stuff. So doubtlessly I'll be back on here with dumb questions later!

Soldato
Folks.... am I reading this correctly.....

(I know its against ToS)... people are selling credits for Elite now?

5billion credits for £9?

So instead of spending days/weeks to grind for 5b credits, I could in theory get a carrier in a few hours?

(If I could give context behind my question.... I do want to have a fleet carrier but my time spent playing games is SEVRELY reduced in the last years due to family and work commitments - but I have a soft spot for this game and I do want to try the Fleet carrier....)

Associate
Folks.... am I reading this correctly.....

(I know its against ToS)... people are selling credits for Elite now?

5billion credits for £9?

So instead of spending days/weeks to grind for 5b credits, I could in theory get a carrier in a few hours?

(If I could give context behind my question.... I do want to have a fleet carrier but my time spent playing games is SEVRELY reduced in the last years due to family and work commitments - but I have a soft spot for this game and I do want to try the Fleet carrier....)
How are the credits transferred, out of interest ? Because I dont recall the game having that sort of mechanism. Unless they are planning on jettisoning some cargo that amounts to that kind of cash which would be based on your ship size etc. that you then sell at a local station.
Also remember that buying the carrier is one thing, you need cash to be able to run it sustainably as well.

Associate
Honestly, Fleet Carriers are nice to have, but for most people they aren't really *that* game-changing. As Kautya says, they also have high upkeep if you're not actively playing the game.

It's nice to be able to carry your short-range combat vehicles to different systems for combat-based Community Goals, and also to keep all your ships and stored modules in one place, but it's just a quality of life improvement - it doesn't open up any new gameplay.

In terms of transferring credits to other players, it can be done using the commodities market on the FC but it needs a level of coordination between buyer and seller which makes £9 for 5bn credits seem... implausible. Maybe I'm missing some other mechanism for the transfer :confused:

Associate
In terms of transferring credits to other players, it can be done using the commodities market on the FC but it needs a level of coordination between buyer and seller which makes £9 for 5bn credits seem... implausible. Maybe I'm missing some other mechanism for the transfer :confused:
Probably seller would require to transfer account controls to them to move the credits.

I got myself a free account during giveaway and did credits transfer between accounts to get second carrier and expand trading capabilities, and I can say it is tiresome enough for a person controlling both accounts, can't imagine coordinating this with another person.

Underboss
ive got a Fer De Lance to go bounty hunting

do you recommend this the best ship in the game for this ?

what do you think of my build?
any improvements could be made ?

4A Multi Cannon
2F Multi Cannon
2F Multi Cannon
2D Beam Laser
2D Beam Laser

Kill Warrant Scanner
Frame shift wake scanner
Shield Booster
Shield Booster
Chaff Launcher

1C Lightweight Alloys (will be changing this to mirrored surface)
6A Powerplant
5A Thrusters
4A FSD
4D Life Support
6A Power Distributer
4A Sensors
3C Fuel Tank

5C Bi-weave Shield Generator
4D Hull Reinforcement Package
4D Module Reinforcement Package
2D Fuel Scoop
advanced docking computer
super cruise assist
Planetary Approach Suite

Associate
ive got a Fer De Lance to go bounty hunting

do you recommend this the best ship in the game for this ?

what do you think of my build?
any improvements could be made ?
I don't really want to lead you straight to the "meta" BH builds, 'cos finding your own way is a lot of the fun in this game. I do have a few comments, though ;)

Firstly, FDL is definitely not "the best" ship for PvE, although I'm sure it would do the job. It's one of the meta builds for PvP, but that's a whole different game. For medium combat ships I love the Krait MKII - it's an excellent ship with a great cockpit for VR, and so I think you'd probably have more fun flying it.

Secondly, are you aware of sites like Edsy and Coriolis for planning your ship builds? They're invaluable, especially when you're getting into optimising the engineering on your hull reinforcements and shield boosters.

Mirrored surface armour = No. Don't waste your money on that. I'd be inclined just to run with Lightweight and see how you get on - PvE is not that difficult to avoid dying, but if you do want to upgrade, Military or Reactive is the way to go.
Bi-weave shield = Yes, good call

I don't see much use for a Wake scanner in bounty hunting, and that super cruise assist is taking up space that could be used for more hull or module reinforcement. So is the docking computer, to be honest, but I'm lazy and I often keep that one :)

Most importantly, though - don't worry about doing it "wrong", just get out and try things! Some engineering will help a lot, but you don't need to stress about optimising everything. Modules can be sold back at cost (losing any engineering, of course), so don't be afraid to mess around :D

Associate
I don't really want to lead you straight to the "meta" BH builds, 'cos finding your own way is a lot of the fun in this game. I do have a few comments, though ;)

Firstly, FDL is definitely not "the best" ship for PvE, although I'm sure it would do the job. It's one of the meta builds for PvP, but that's a whole different game. For medium combat ships I love the Krait MKII - it's an excellent ship with a great cockpit for VR, and so I think you'd probably have more fun flying it.

Secondly, are you aware of sites like Edsy and Coriolis for planning your ship builds? They're invaluable, especially when you're getting into optimising the engineering on your hull reinforcements and shield boosters.

Mirrored surface armour = No. Don't waste your money on that. I'd be inclined just to run with Lightweight and see how you get on - PvE is not that difficult to avoid dying, but if you do want to upgrade, Military or Reactive is the way to go.
Bi-weave shield = Yes, good call

I don't see much use for a Wake scanner in bounty hunting, and that super cruise assist is taking up space that could be used for more hull or module reinforcement. So is the docking computer, to be honest, but I'm lazy and I often keep that one :)

Most importantly, though - don't worry about doing it "wrong", just get out and try things! Some engineering will help a lot, but you don't need to stress about optimising everything. Modules can be sold back at cost (losing any engineering, of course), so don't be afraid to mess around :D
Agree with all of this. I also would look at python as a combat vessel with some multi purpose capabilities. The build I had (and not completed) was for mining but my original intent was to use as a combat ship.

Back
Top Bottom