*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Associate
I’m starting to wonder if there’s any way back from this seemingly continual decline Frontier seem to be in after the launch of odyssey?
I suspect not - it feels like they're in a death spiral, and have been since the botched Odyssey release. For whatever reason, their management are unable or unwilling to make the hard calls that are needed to rescue the game, and just keep trying to paper over the cracks.

Their next step will be to force all the Horizons players off the working codebase and onto the irredeemably ****** Odyssey codebase, at which point they'll lose an additional bunch of players whose systems can't make up for the broken code, or who just hate all the stupid design decisions they've made.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Good,

Next step is turn the servers off and make it I to a offline game people can MOD then we might get a proper game again.

Odyssey should have never been made in the first place. It's fully on Brabens head that one but he was probably to busy playing with a dynosour.

Soldato
Yeah, they are not too cheerful about ED it in the latest investor report....

Elite Dangerous experienced a difficult calendar 2021 following the disappointing launch of the major Odyssey expansion in May 2021. We continue to support the game and our passionate players with development updates, and we have seen an upturn in player sentiment as a result

SPG

SPG

Soldato
As soon as you get a python credits become really easy, best all round ship in the game small landing pads as well.

Soldato
I really hope they keep Horizons running separately from Odyssey, as it's much better performing in VR.
I'm not interested in Odyssey as it's not in VR (and probably never will be), besides it's been a trainwreck according to all reports.

Soldato
Horizons really needs the new planet tech and other graphical updates from Odyssey to be integrated. And they really need to look at sorting out the lighting sources in the graphics engine too. Having everything lit by a single light source, even in systems with multiple stars, is just wrong.

Soldato
I think I always run(?) the game as Horizons as I haven't bought Odyssey, but I barely do anything that involves Horizons gameplay. I'm currently running a mixture of a Dolphin and an Orca between Ceos and Sothis on the passenger missions to Sirius Atmospherics. Super lazy just to build some credits/Fed rep. I'm not even taking the criminals as I can't be bothered silent running etc., I just take the rich tourists and CEOs etc. Still making a good 2-3 million per run.

I also always play Solo as I don't want grief from anyone online.

Soldato
Similarly, I don't have Odyssey, so I do play Horizons ... but I find myself mostly avoiding doing anything that involves landing on a planet, as I find it more of a faff than an advantage.

As for playing Solo. Are you aware of the Mobius group? I still have it in my game from when I played years ago, and still log in using it. In theory, it's a private group where the promise is to only ever help other players. But I have to admit, I have never knowingly even met anyone!

Soldato
Similarly, I don't have Odyssey, so I do play Horizons ... but I find myself mostly avoiding doing anything that involves landing on a planet, as I find it more of a faff than an advantage.

As for playing Solo. Are you aware of the Mobius group? I still have it in my game from when I played years ago, and still log in using it. In theory, it's a private group where the promise is to only ever help other players. But I have to admit, I have never knowingly even met anyone!
I'll admit I don't even know how to play Elite properly in the first place :D so I've mostly stuck to solo play so I can do my own thing. I've got a couple of websites bookmarked to keep track of prices here and there but I barely act on it. I need to get my Explorer rank up to Elite too - think I need to build an explorer ship and get out to some remote systems - it's just real life getting in the way of a good, solid, few hours of gameplay.

Associate
Is anyone actually playing horizons ?
Yep, I have zero interest in Elite:Feet.

Almost every side-by-side graphics comparison I've seen looks worse in Odyssey, the performance is worse, and I don't want to play an FPS anyway. Trying to get it working on consoles was the only thing stopping them from forcing that dumpster fire on Horizons players, so I guess we all have that to look forward to now :(

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Such a shame, I really don't get how FD managed to break one of the best known and most loved computer games of all time. We have been here many pages before this though but it still gets my goat.

Back
Top Bottom