**The Official Everything MMA Related Thread**

Caporegime
That was a pretty good night of fights. Great finish by Ortega and Cyborg doing what she does, albeit against another 135'er.

O'Malley looked outstanding as well, when he was hopping around throwing punches = :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Bellator 200 (London) looks a hell of a lot better than the crappy UFC London card.

Cro Cop Vs Nelson
Mousasi Vs Carvalho 185 title fight
MVP Vs Rickels
Davis Vs Vassell

Caporegime
Anyone bothering with the London fight night this Saturday? It's not that bad of a card, considering the UFC's history of uninspiring cards in this country. I'll be watching on TV.

Edit: they've just announced UFC Liverpool in May!

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Watched the prelims but not the main card.

Epic last minute submission... 4:59 in the 3rd round. Literally 1 second away from losing the fight and he sunk a triangle choke. What a guy :D

Predictably (I’ve trained with him) Phillips sucked major balls. No ground game at all.

Caporegime
Really poor performance from Manuwa and a big win for Volkov. 7/2 for a KO/TKO finish seemed crazy odds to me, nice bit of cash there :)

Bit sad to see a legend like Werdum resort to butt flopping but he was obviously desperate to keep it on the ground. As soon as that started you knew it was game over, that eye was in a real bad way.

Soldato
Always good to see Werdum lose - I've disliked him ever since he fought Overeem in the Strikeforce Grand Prix back in 2011 when he refused to stand with Overeem and laid on his back inviting him to grapple!

Caporegime
Till Vs Wonderboy confirmed for the Liverpool card :eek:

Big step up in competition for Till but if he manages to get the win he will be in line for a title shot.

Magny Vs Gunnar as well, shaping up to be quite a good card. Would go but i'm in Hamburg on a stag do.

Last edited:
Associate
We haven't seen anything of Till's ground game. The Wonderboy fight is great but it's playing to both fighter's strengths. You know what Woodley would do to him!

It seems stupid to give Till such a high ranking competitor in his second UFC fight. They should be bringing him up slowly by going through a couple of the top 10 guys.

Associate
We haven't seen anything of Till's ground game. The Wonderboy fight is great but it's playing to both fighter's strengths. You know what Woodley would do to him!

It seems stupid to give Till such a high ranking competitor in his second UFC fight. They should be bringing him up slowly by going through a couple of the top 10 guys.

McGregor had 5 UFC fights then he got Chad Mendes, Tills had 5 UFC fights and just beat Cerrone, so I suppose he deserves it :)

Caporegime
The UFC has no desire to put Usman against any rising contender because he's a complete blanket. Sure he wins, but he's one of the worst fighters to watch in the UFC let alone the division.

Soldato
Id love to get into UFC being a big boxing fan but i dont know where to start. Is there a weekly show? Do fighters have any say who they fight or is it done by ranking etc?

Associate
Just goes to show though if you popular, you get noticed lol

Yeah, looking at the three fights before the Cowboy fight, three decisions :confused: Perhaps he's not as good I originally thought. Bloody hype :p

Id love to get into UFC being a big boxing fan but i dont know where to start. Is there a weekly show? Do fighters have any say who they fight or is it done by ranking etc?

You've picked the best time to watch MMA. The main event of next weekends card is the best fight, at least on paper, in the UFC right now. The fight has been re-scheduled a number of times but it looks like it's finally going to happen.

There are rankings but they don't really matter. The rankings are decided by a pool of journalists who for the most part are very biased to fighters in their own country, so don't pay too much attention to rankings at present. The UFC was sold two years ago, the old owners used to use the rankings but the new ones not so much.

If I was you, I'd go back and re-watch the old fights. You'll learn loads about the sport and start to get to grips with the ground game.

Caporegime

UFC isn't MMA but they're pretty dominant.

There's a bit of a gap in events for the past few weeks but there's normally a UFC show fortnightly at the least. Bellator are the main UFC competition and they have events on every couple of months. Outside of that Cage Rage is the biggest UK promotion and they have events every 3 months or so, this will normally be on free UK TV.

Fighters do have a say in that they can turn down fights but it doesn't happen very often, rankings can and do play a part but it won't always be number 1 vs number 2, it seems since the UFC was sold more money fights are made than previously.

It's easy to get into MMA at the moment because there's so many events, although some would argue this dilutes the standard.

Back
Top Bottom