*** The Official Freesat HD/Freeview HD Thread***

Caporegime
I building a house and I am deciding what system to install. As many are now ditching sky and moving to other ways of getting HD TV I thought I would start a thread that deals with installation of both Freesat HD/Freeview HD directly

Now as I understand it There are some channel differences between the two?

Like Dave and Channel 4 HD are only available on Freeview not Freesat

I'm running cable into the house so I might install both.

Channel Lists are below

http://www.freeview.co.uk/content/download/1126/5787/file/Channel Guide November 09.pdf

http://www.freesat.co.uk/file_uploads/freesat_Large_Print_Channel_Guide.pdf

What are your views on either systems?

Cheers

Soldato
Couldn't you of integrated this into your other installation thread?

Anyway, have you checked when freeviewHD will be available in our area? It could be years in some places, that's if you can get a decent enough signal at all, whereas freesatHD is available now. Channel 4 will have to add the HD channel to freesat eventually, as will channel 5 I'm sure.

Personally, I'm very sceptical about freeviewHD. I'd be concerned about the levels of compression they will need to use for it. The BBC have already had to admit to reducing the bitrates on their channel, then under pressure increased them again. I'm sure they did that to see if anyone noticed, with freeviewHD in mind, and lots did.

Even still, if you can afford it and love movies and sport, SkyHD is still the best available.

Soldato
Interesting. I'd like to also know who uses Freesat with their PC and possibly freeviewHD (though as I understand there are no PC tuners available?) and what they think of it.

I have to remain sceptical about freeviewHD too, I always thought there were lots of issues and limitations with getting HD over the air. Opinions?

Soldato
I use freesat (inc HD) and also standard freeview (HD will be a long time coming in my area , so no rush yet)

I have in my media PC:
2 x NOVA-HD-S2 (freesat with HD)
1 x NOVA-TD-500

Main PC
1 x NOVA-HD-S2 (freesat with HD)
1 x NOVA-TD-Stick

I like having both , due to same chanels not being on the other

Soldato
How can the box be great if it's buggy?

Sorry If I am stating the obvious but if using a multiswitch you can send freesat and freeview around the home on the same cabling.

I would run two feeds to each point allowing for dual tuner use, pretty much any satellite pvr requires two feeds.

The multiswitch will have an aerial input which is where the signals are "mixed". Vision make some decent multiswitches.

Caporegime
OP
How can the box be great if it's buggy?

Sorry If I am stating the obvious but if using a multiswitch you can send freesat and freeview around the home on the same cabling.

I would run two feeds to each point allowing for dual tuner use, pretty much any satellite pvr requires two feeds.

The multiswitch will have an aerial input which is where the signals are "mixed". Vision make some decent multiswitches.

Yeah matey

What you do after some research is put a triax triple wall socket in each room this has 2 x Sat sockets and a UHF Aerial socket.

Put twin wf100 sat cable in each room

Then on the roof have a 80cm sat dish with a quatrro LNB and digital aerial

So 4 x output from quattro LNB goes into multiswitch along with input from aerial.

Then this tri feed goes into each room and and you get both Freesat/Freeview piped down the same twin cable to the wall plate.

Here you can feed fresat PVR and a freeview box

Soldato
If you had to pick a service which one would you choose today? I've cancelled my Sky subscription and I'm unsure which route to take.

Associate
Six months ago I would have said go Fressat HD; however, I just got the PCTV DVB-T2 USB tuner (Freeview HD) and it works fine in under WinXP MCE and Win 7 Pro. I haven't tried using it for live broadcasts yet but when used as a timeshifter/recorded the quality is noticeably better than my Virgin Box.

Back
Top Bottom