1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by sesevans, 22 May 2017.

1. Dangerous

Capodecina

Don't think any XL2s have turned up yet? CPW have shipped them but no one has reported delivery.

2. V_R

Sgarrista

Why would it coming from CPW change how the screen looks?

Mine should be here within the hour.

It was shown as out for delivery at 0820 this morning for what its worth.

Also its date of manufacture is 29th October

Last edited: 14 Nov 2017
  3. here2018

Hitman

Just on chat with CPW & being told i would an XL tomorrow if I order today.

4. LiE

Capodecina

I have a text message from UK Mail giving me a specific delivery time.

5. here2018

Hitman

I just wondered if it was the second batch & improvements had been made. I have an order with Google but may cancel & go with CPW.

6. jamoor

Sgarrista

7. Foyman

Gangster

Probably doesn't come across well on camera but if that is how bad the blue tint issue is then I'm not worried. Doesn't look any worse than the 6P I'm currently using and no one made a drama out of that.

8. GMac11

Wise Guy

Yeah same here, still stating 15th delivery date even if ordered today!

Definitely doesn't look that bad on the video but maybe to the naked eye it's worse.

9. Dangerous

Capodecina

10. _Jimlad_

Capodecina

blue tint looks fine, its part of oled

mine is due within 1 hour

11. LadFromWales

Wise Guy

Video above looks fine to me. I've seen worse, but only when there are two Pixel 2 XL in the shot. When there is just a single one it is hard to base the white balance. Even then, the less off device doesn't look that much worse!
    All screens exhibit some form of colour shift or white balance change when looking at them off centre, just a compromise in the actual sub pixel layouts of the displays. Anyone here who's has invested any amount of time researching a new PC monitor will be aware of this!
    Of course, the P2XL has a polariser too, which adds its own tint too!

12. MrRockliffe

Mobster

I think I need to stop watching this thread for the next few days :p

13. V_R

Sgarrista

So, its here! Quick first impressions...

There is a blue tint, its not as bad as I was expecting (phew!). Will have to give it a good testing this evening when I'm home and have set it up properly.

Can't see any grain, and it looks uniform.

Can;t wait until I get home so I can give it a good testing, roll on 5!

14. LadFromWales

Wise Guy

That or live under a rock for a few days :-D Avoid Reddit and XDA too!
    Tbh outside of the blue tint, to see any of the other issues clearly you need to set up the scenario. Sitting in a dark room, brightness all the way down, staring at grey screens!
    My only major concern as it is with any display panel, is faulty pixels!

15. sesevans

Perma Banned

Do you get the free Google Home Mini with your order or has that deal passed?

16. FishLicker

Wise Guy

Indeed, you do have to take what you read with a pinch of salt in a lot of cases. In my experience, many people are hysterical about the smallest of issues. I remember when I got my Sony Z3, people were kicking off because of the poor viewing angles - and indeed, I could see what they meant but it wasn't exactly a deal breaker. Then there were the ones who were destroying their phones by taking it into a swimming pool (Chlorine destroys the seals), or dropping them in lager and declaring they weren't water proof. Which kind of special person does that?

I think there are people out there who go looking for problems. I'm more interested to hear opinions from people who are more or less like me, who will accept nothing is perfect and unless it drastically alters the usability then it's not likely I'll dwell on it too much.

17. Dangerous

Capodecina

My Google Panda 128GB has been shipped! :D

18. sesevans

Perma Banned

Get ready for a huge push from both Apple and Google on Artificial Reality

Bloomberg notes that Apple and Google working on big changes and improvements in AR with the ARKit and ARCore platforms, respectively.

They understand Apple to move away from relying exclusively on Face ID technology (known as True Depth) used on the iPhone X to a 3-D rear facing sensor system or a combo of both for the 2019 iPhone.

Apple CEO Cook said that "AR will change the way we use technology forever". Google first introduced AR in 2014 with Project Tango and I used it as a feature in Google Glass.

Big changes ahead:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...target-rear-facing-3-d-sensor-for-2019-iphone

19. Sp00n

Capodecina

Thanks Googlebotâ„¢

20. ubern00b

Mobster

EE really are a special company. I messaged their Facebook team this morning for help tracking my pre-order hoping to get some kind of information of how long I am expecting to wait to get the phone. I explained it was an in-store pre-order and they said to please call customer services. So I did. No record of my pre-order at all. I am asked to go into the store and find out what is going on.

At lunch I go into the store to be told my order is on their system and is awaiting stock to be assigned to it. The in-store system and online/telephone systems are completely different and one cannot see the other, apparently. Seriously? In this day and age? Fine, whatever, at least my pre-order is in a system somewhere and hopefully I should get a call to go get it in a couple of days. Heart attack over.