***The Official Gran Turismo 5 Thread***

Soldato
Ive just brought the '76 ferrari for a race that requires sports cats pre '79! However with my assists and using a controller the back end kicks out most corners lol may just be me trying to go too quick butbi was wondering what the best most realistic assist setting are when using a dualshock! Im using soft sports tyres which may also be a problem?

Also! When do the proper long races come around that require pitting and fuel etc? And are all races rolling start?

And one more! When do more races become available? Doesnt seem to be many for me at lvl 13, maynbe i need to do more licences

Thanks!

Associate
If it lets you, always use racing soft tyres. It improves most cars significantly. As far as I know, you don't have to do licenses in order to progress in races, once you've done the races you can do, more race series's will become unlocked due to your character levelling up. Try doing seasonal events in order to level up faster. Personally, on any car, I will use nothing but ABS on 1 for my driving assists. Don't floor the accelerator out of corners, remember, slow in and as soon as your car is straight or just about, then floor it :)

Soldato
If it lets you, always use racing soft tyres. It improves most cars significantly. As far as I know, you don't have to do licenses in order to progress in races, once you've done the races you can do, more race series's will become unlocked due to your character levelling up. Try doing seasonal events in order to level up faster. Personally, on any car, I will use nothing but ABS on 1 for my driving assists. Don't floor the accelerator out of corners, remember, slow in and as soon as your car is straight or just about, then floor it :)

Thanks mate seems my assists were ok then lol it turns out i had brought the softs but hadnt fitted them! So that change made a nice difference! Still kicks a bit but much more manageable!

So atm i have 1 screen of races under beginner, expert etc! So once i finish all these, more become available in them catagories?

Thanks!

Associate
Yeah, it's because when you finish races you get xp and xp levels you up, it's when you get to certain levels that races are unlocked. If you find yourself needing to level up but you don't have the cars for more races, you can just redo the races you've already completed :)

Associate
I played this to death when it was released, but after leaving it alone for about 12 months I've came back to it. Thing is, I load the game up, stare at the menu and browse the dealership, then turn it back off. :(

Same, just go in buy some 'new' cars and muck about for 30/60 minutes on my own in time trial and turn it off again. Thing is I think it will be a few years before GT6 is released so no rush to get the game finished so to speak. Meaning level 40 on A & B spec, Gold in all the licenses, all cars in your garage etc. .

Caporegime
Pretty sure you needed to do the licenses for later events beyond beginner? I think it's been the same in any GT game so far?

I don't think you do, the license tests are absolutely pointless unless you want the prize cars or you want to 100% the game. I think it sucks because getting the licenses in the other games was one of the joys of the game, this time it feels like there's no reason to do them. :(

Associate
I don't think you do, the license tests are absolutely pointless unless you want the prize cars or you want to 100% the game. I think it sucks because getting the licenses in the other games was one of the joys of the game, this time it feels like there's no reason to do them. :(

Well that really is cr@p then isn't it? Used to be the case I'm sure?

Ah well, done em anyway 50% gold and 50% still stuck at silver. LOL. :cool:

Soldato
Anyone feel this game is a huge disappointment compared to GT3/4 back in the PS2 days - where's all the damn cars and track updates we want - and the engines sounds compared to Forza are crud.

I'll play GT5 again in the next few days to see what's new - haven't played it in like 4-6 months.

Caporegime
Agreed on the engine sounds, they really are quite poor. It's a disappointment because when you go into you garage and choose a car the sound of the engines are nice and there are so many different varieties. On the track though they all sound very similar, and a lot of cars just sound like someone is blowing air through a tube if you use the in-car cameras.

There's nothing wrong with Motegi but I wish Polyphony would release some original tracks from the other games, Seattle, Apricot Hill, Midfield Raceway etc.

Soldato
Agreed on the engine sounds, they really are quite poor. It's a disappointment because when you go into you garage and choose a car the sound of the engines are nice and there are so many different varieties. On the track though they all sound very similar, and a lot of cars just sound like someone is blowing air through a tube if you use the in-car cameras.

There's nothing wrong with Motegi but I wish Polyphony would release some original tracks from the other games, Seattle, Apricot Hill, Midfield Raceway etc.

Agree with pretty much everything you've said.

Sounds and AI are awful. So is the lack of regular DLC.

Soldato
Anyone feel this game is a huge disappointment compared to GT3/4 back in the PS2 days - where's all the damn cars and track updates we want - and the engines sounds compared to Forza are crud.

I'll play GT5 again in the next few days to see what's new - haven't played it in like 4-6 months.

I wasnt overly happy from the start.

Back in the PS1/2 days expectations were reasonable. These expectations were met.

This time around our expectations remain the same (in all fairness). Yet These expectations have not been met. Parts of the game look great (Some tracks and Car details) whereas other just look shocking, LOL'ABLE almost.

How can a game with took half a decade (iirc) to create turn out half done? Turn 10 were able to create their games in much less time.... Sure their cars dont look as detailed as the Premium cars in GT5 but at least their all of the same quality.

Soldato
How can a game with took half a decade (iirc) to create turn out half done? Turn 10 were able to create their games in much less time.... Sure their cars dont look as detailed as the Premium cars in GT5 but at least their all of the same quality.

That is the thing that gets me... 5yrs+ plus to make + massive dev team should mean the game should be near flawless. I would love to know the real reason why it isn't.

Caporegime
That is the thing that gets me... 5yrs+ plus to make + massive dev team should mean the game should be near flawless. I would love to know the real reason why it isn't.

Probably because they were too busy messing about and spending too much time on stupid things that make no difference to the actual game. Before release I read somewhere that the premium models have so much detail that Polyphony even went as far as realistically modelling the internal wiring. If that's true it's just a stupid waste of time, I can't believe some of the omissions from the premium car list too! I mean, we have God knows how many premium Skylines but we don't have a premium Veyron?

I do like the game, I spend probably hundreds of hours on the single player when it was released and I'm slowly working my way through all the events and licenses again, but there are some frustrating design choices and some downright strange omissions from the game. The track list feels pathetic, they have a nice library of original tracks which they've built up throughout the years, only to omit half of them from the game, maybe the game is meant to cater more toward the Japanese racing fan? It's still frustrating, whatever the case may be.

Soldato
The game has become far too static. It just isn't diverse enough.

Take arcade more for example. I don't always want to race against the same cars. And I'd love to choose the line up and number of cars involved in the race.

DLC is "Okay" at best. There just aren't modern cars within the game. I'd love to see some GT3 cars, more cars from BMW and perhaps Audi (just to name a few).

The track list is poor... I spend 99.99% of my on the N'Ring.

Caporegime
The game has become far too static. It just isn't diverse enough.

Take arcade more for example. I don't always want to race against the same cars. And I'd love to choose the line up and number of cars involved in the race.

DLC is "Okay" at best. There just aren't modern cars within the game. I'd love to see some GT3 cars, more cars from BMW and perhaps Audi (just to name a few).

The track list is poor... I spend 99.99% of my on the N'Ring.

More touring cars would be a welcome addition, there are a few in amongst the standard cars, but as you've said they are all pretty old, most are probably over 10 years old I'd imagine. I don't hold much hope for any future DLC but in Gran Turismo 6 Polyphony need to think about what the fans want, rather than Yamauchi and his weird obsession with "perfection" which is probably why the game was so long in development and ironically massive parts of the game are still unpolished. I mean, it's quite obvious that they had only finished the Premium cars and the Standard models were just a quickly tacked on addition when it became apparent that the game was taking too long.

GT6, must have far better audio, more tracks, more events and variety, all cars have to be the same standard and I don't know if it's just me but the physics seem a little stale. In Forza I can choose what I want to do, I can either go drifting or I can try and hit each apex and be a precise driver. GT5 seems to want to FORCE you into being an F1 driver and while it gives you the option of drift events, and setting cars up so that they'll slide about and be more fun to drive they never really are actually that fun at all.

Maybe that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom