***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
The top string on my tanglewood electric acoustic snapped tonight. My first string snap. Should I replace all the strings or just the one? I have a full pack of tanglewood strings

doesn't really matter - I'd usually only replace the broken string but replace them all if they're looking/sounding dull, just replace the broken one first and see if it's noticeably brighter sounding than the rest

Soldato
I'd usually only replace the broken string
I hate the top E on steel strung acoustics... too bright ang jangly and jarring for my ears. So I use it mainly to rest my pinkie on, and if my top E went I'd have no qualms about just replacing the one. Might be tempted to do that with the B string too, at a push, but none of the rest.

However it's easy to end up with several sets of semi-used strings if you just replace the odd one... there's no guarantee the same string won't go first again. So the best advice is always going to be replace the lot, even if it's a bit of a chore... says the man who stabbed his thumb with a badly trimmed string end yesterday.

Man of Honour
Apparently and so I read decades ago, Eddie Van Halen never changed full sets, he only replaced the broken string.
At the other end Bass player Billy Sheehan swopped out his favourite bass for a couple of songs while his Roadie fitted new strings so two sets a gig.

Soldato
it's prob more important for acoustic and bass...especially for slap bass stuff

been years since I did a full set on any of my electrics - don't think I've even snapped a string on an electric for years!

Soldato
Massive problems at todays gig.
Plugged in my pedal and a horrible sound came out of it.
I'm able to plug electric in one input and acoustic in another but it was having none and affecting everything, PA going mad and everybody's in-ears.
Luckily 50% of the set is keyboards and 50% of my guitar parts are acoustic so I was able to plug the acoustic straight into the PA and had to play some electric stuff on acoustic - nobody knew.
At the end we told the Manager of our problems and she said I'd plugged into the wrong sockets that aren't meant for us :eek:

Ah ****, that's annoying. I'm glad you made it through with the acoustic though! The audience is only interested in vocals and solos anyway.

I had a heart in my throat moment at a gig recently where my Helix power supply broke...the wire was completely frayed. Fortunately, I had about two others with me and managed to connect one successfully. The Helix's power supply is a piece of **** though.

Soldato
Thanks for the advice, I'll change the lot.

Next question - any good value for money travel guitars within a £300 budget? Slightly over not an issue.

Soldato
What kind of guitar? If acoustic, I'd try and pick up one of the small Taylors. They're awesome, but it'd have to be second handed looking on Andertons

Yeah sorry acoustic. I have been looking on FB marketplace but not much near me, except an Epiphone Lil' Tex for £175.
Ill check out Andertons, thank you

Soldato
Yeah sorry acoustic. I have been looking on FB marketplace but not much near me, except an Epiphone Lil' Tex for £175.
Ill check out Andertons, thank you
Worth having a look at the Yamaha apxt2 it is a a decent guitar well within budget and pretty compact. Everyone will tell you it lacks character because it’s a Yamaha of course!

if your are going to try the baby Taylor you should definitely try the little martin as well very different sounding but quality instruments.

Finally if your want to go even smaller the Martin backpacker is well regarded or the cheaper Washburn Rover.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
About 3 years ago I was asked to play for an acoustic band so turned up with my trusty 1975 Yamaha acoustic and my usual Dean Markley electric 10s which sounded good to me over the years.
The other two guitarists who were way more experienced than me in the matters of acoustic sound said something wasn't right and suggested these strings.
I've used them ever since.

ernieballearthwood.jpg

Soldato
About 3 years ago I was asked to play for an acoustic band so turned up with my trusty 1975 Yamaha acoustic and my usual Dean Markley electric 10s which sounded good to me over the years.
The other two guitarists who were way more experienced than me in the matters of acoustic sound said something wasn't right and suggested these strings.

ernieballearthwood.jpg
I'm honestly impressed you went that long playing electric strings on an acoustic! We used to do that at school (Dad's Eko Ranger anyone?) Because it made it so easy to play. Felt cool.

I think the lighter basses will be a loss of tone, but I'm sure not having bronze will also impact it.

Man of Honour
I'm honestly impressed you went that long playing electric strings on an acoustic! We used to do that at school (Dad's Eko Ranger anyone?) Because it made it so easy to play. Felt cool.

I think the lighter basses will be a loss of tone, but I'm sure not having bronze will also impact it.

To be honest I never used it for gigs until that acoustic band and at the same time with my main band I was using Modelling on my electric guitars to make an acoustic sound when gigging.
One evening a bloke asked me why didn't I play a normal acoustic when most of the guitar based songs I was playing were acoustic so I ended up using it.
I tried to fit a MIDI pickup on it but couldn't get it under the strings otherwise I would have used it for my electric sounds as well because it plays brilliantly.

Associate
I’m very happy with my Helix. Works excellently in a cover band, same I guess as what @SexyGreyFox is using it for. I can switch tones very quickly

Helix was the best purchase I ever made guitar wise. Absolute overkill for me as only playing and recording at home for fun, but the sheer verstatility is a godsend and if it broke I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Soldato

ernieballearthwood.jpg
Earthwood strings are great value for money too, I use 11’s or 12’s depending on the guitar and can’t fault them for the cash!

Soldato
Top E string snapped again. I bought those D'Addario XS strings for £15 only 10 days ago from Amazon :mad:

I'll be following the recommendation in this thread for the Ernie Ball strings I think. Might buy in bulk..

In other news I may be collecting a "like new" Taylor GS mini tomorrow for £350. Is that a good price? What should I look out for?

Back
Top Bottom