**** The Official Huawei Mate 20/Mate 20 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
Tbh, I only like the under screen FPS for the cool factor. It will be nice for unlocking when the device is on a table, or in a car mount, but generally I like a rear mounted FPS for ease of unlocking when holding the device. I guess it might just be a matter of getting used to it though. In theory, your thumb is ready to use the screen when holding, so should be easily reaching the FPS. With a rear, it lines up nicely as you take your phone from you pocket, you unlock then adjust your hand position to use.

Face unlock could be interesting as by all accounts it is very good, works even from holding your phone down near your waist.

Soldato
The face unlock looks so fast on this it means the FPS will probably be always used as a secondary means of unlocking. I prefer it on the front and as you say its just cooler to be in-screen.

The FPS on the Note 9 still looks unnaturally high up.

Soldato
Tbh, I only like the under screen FPS for the cool factor. It will be nice for unlocking when the device is on a table, or in a car mount, but generally I like a rear mounted FPS for ease of unlocking when holding the device.
Remember android has smartlock so if your phone is connected to your car via BT it's unlocked anyway (assuming you set your car to be "safe").

Soldato
Apart from faster charging none of those extra features are nice to have but not essential for me. Unlike most people camera qulity isnt that important. Most phone can produce a decent enough pictures for several years now. It's all about screen size and quality, processor and battery.

I held both the mate 20 pro and the X today. The pro is a lovely quality handset, up there with the note 9 and if it does price crash like the other Huawei's then it'll be a no brainer. I'd wait until Xmas and see where the prices stand.

The X is an absolute monster in the hand. The screen was much better than I expected for a screen that size. But 1440 would have made it just that much nicer. It was just too big for me and it's not a phone for the pocket.

Today I was in shenzchen. And I held so many nice phones at dirt cheap prices. Vivo x23. Oppo find x. But when compared to the 1440 screen of the mate 20 pro. I couldn't just be happy with a 1080 screen, I had a note 4 for almost 4 years and that had 1440 screen. Believe me you do notice the difference

So I'm full circle again deciding between the note 9 and the mate 20 pro. And I might wait at least a couple of months

Last edited:
Soldato
Apart from faster charging none of those extra features are nice to have but not essential for me. Unlike most people camera qulity isnt that important. Most phone can produce a decent enough pictures for several years now. It's all about screen size and quality, processor and battery.

I personally think camera is the biggest differentiator these days. Especially low light performance. And this takes the cake with its night mode and the addition of super wide angle.

It does help that this phone also has a top screen, SoC and battery among its huge arsenal of features.

Soldato
Camera and screen for me are the big differences. There are screens that are plenty good enough on cheaper devices, but a lot of poor viewing angles and wont go all that bright.

There's a guy trying to sell one on eBay for £950 that he got at the launch event. I was tempted to offer £750 with a comment about release is in like 5 days now, I wont get a free watch and charger from him and I don't know how a warranty claim would work!

Caporegime
Can the ones from the launch event be sold? I thought they were all marked? They'll be £900 with a watch and charger so someone has to be desperate.

Camera is a big deal to me as well and having three very useful focal lengths is great as sometimes I don't want to carry a camera with me when I go away. I like to edit shots from my camera on my phone so having good colour accuracy means I can trust the results.

Soldato
To beat the op6 in a speed test is very impressive !
Indeed.
The Kirin 980 in this is basically a next gen Snapdragon competitor.

My OP5 still feels rapid even now, so I'll be happy that this is at least as quick.

I also heard that the fingerprint sensor in this is Qualcomm based. That woukd explain the better compatibility with apps maybe.

Soldato
When I clicked this, I'd mistaken it for his battery test, which I'm looking forward too, but how crazy is this -

4,200mAh charged in 1 hour 9 minutes!?!?! This might/could be the first device I don't charge overnight every night and just top up every now and then.

Caporegime
I love how people assume Tech YouTubers have like every phone available at their fingertips. The guy has 3k subs, I wouldn't be surprised if he's just put it up against the only other phone he has.

Well, he's got his hands on a phone that isn't even out yet. More the fact that other youtubers that do have the other phones, and the Huawei but haven't done any comparisons yet.

Soldato
Yeah I mean a 40W charger isn't gonna hang about. I still can't believe Samsung are shipping phones with old QC2.0.

Low light shots look excellent...

https://youtu.be/79QtnNDLlZI

Speedtest vs note 9

https://youtu.be/EIZXk2uTHNw

Camera vs Note 9

https://youtu.be/QUmoTujgXlM

The camera quality and featureset like the sin city mode is great.
First link I wasn't impressed really thought the iPhone looked a lot better against the note it looked a lot better but again I'd say the note looked the best and provides the most detail in the shots. The wide angle on the mate 20 is nice though and some of the effects.

The battery on this thing is a monster, it's the way most flagships should be going now ill never understand companies skimping on battery capacity.

Soldato
Well, he's got his hands on a phone that isn't even out yet. More the fact that other youtubers that do have the other phones, and the Huawei but haven't done any comparisons yet.

There are a few YouTubers with low sub counts that seem to have their hands on this and the Pixel 3, which does confuse me a little. Mind you, as I said, the Mate 20 Pro can be bought on eBay already, from people that went to the launch event apparently.

Back
Top Bottom