Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Remember that with Apple Care that you can pay up front and then get a pro rate refund from support if you don't keep your phone for the full two years.

Almost all insurance products, when paid in lump sum, allow you to cancel and get a pro rata refund.

Soldato
Anyone here on the upgrade program and think it’s worth it?

I don’t always upgrade my phone every year but the option to simply return the existing phone for a new one if I wanted to would be nice.

Once you return & get a new phone, they renew the upgrade cycle, i.e. another 20 months. So it's similar to selling your old phone back to Apple for 40% of what you paid for after 1 year. You can usually get a better value, but with more inconvenience, if you sell the phone yourself (you usually get 60-65% of its value back). They basically depreciate your phone at 5% per month.

If you want to buy AppleCare+ as well, it's effectively interest-free financing of phone + AppleCare+. So might be attractive.

Associate
Debating getting the Pro and jumping back from using Samsung phones for the last few years, filled in all the pre-approval stuff but still a bit unsure!

Having a few hardware issues (let's call them design quirks as Samsung are adamant they're not an issue) currently so a bit tired of it all, most notably Android Auto constantly disconnecting itself from the car whereas Carplay has never.

Soldato
Once you return & get a new phone, they renew the upgrade cycle, i.e. another 20 months. So it's similar to selling your old phone back to Apple for 40% of what you paid for after 1 year. You can usually get a better value, but with more inconvenience, if you sell the phone yourself (you usually get 60-65% of its value back). They basically depreciate your phone at 5% per month.

If you want to buy AppleCare+ as well, it's effectively interest-free financing of phone + AppleCare+. So might be attractive.

Thanks for the information. The lack of hassle is certainly appealing, might collect from store and see what the situation is.

Soldato
Wouldn’t have thought supply would be that scarce that people are fighting over phones.

Same - Apple make millions of these things and they know how to meet demand quickly. If Apple sell out of the most in-demand versions, you can always preorder from Amazon and still get the same returns policy.

Soldato
Having a few hardware issues (let's call them design quirks as Samsung are adamant they're not an issue) currently so a bit tired of it all, most notably Android Auto constantly disconnecting itself from the car whereas Carplay has never.
I had this very issue, have you ruled out the USB-C (lighting port in my case) from being covered in dust and/or fluff? Sure you have but always worth mentioning:)

Soldato
So it seems that the direct equivalent of Applecare+ cover from a third-party can potentially save you a couple of quid a month. Simply not worth it IMO. An extra couple of pounds a month for the convenience and assurance of dealing with Apple directly is nothing, especially in the context of the cost of the phone. Spending a grand on a phone then saving a couple of quid a month by going with cheapo third-party cover makes no sense to me personally but each to their own.

(I appreciate that adding theft/loss cover and/or family plans for multiple devices changes things but neither of those affect me)

Soldato
Anyone gone for the blue? Pre-pre ordered the black but thinking maybe a change?? :rolleyes:
I have. I've also specified that I'm trading the phone in to apple, but as someone pointed out above, you can get better money passing them to 3rd party recycling companies - If I get the phone and don't send my old one back, do I just pay the original amount? They're not going to hound me for my old phone, are they?

Associate
I have. I've also specified that I'm trading the phone in to apple, but as someone pointed out above, you can get better money passing them to 3rd party recycling companies - If I get the phone and don't send my old one back, do I just pay the original amount? They're not going to hound me for my old phone, are they?

I recall reading last year that that's the case. You have X number of days to send it in, otherwise they bill you the difference.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
They'll charge you the full amount if you don't return the handset.

Soldato
They'll charge you the full amount if you don't return the handset.
That's fine. Thanks. Was planning on changing it to exclude the trade-in, then they shut the store down so you can't amend anything as of this morning!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Anyone here on the upgrade program and think it’s worth it?

I don’t always upgrade my phone every year but the option to simply return the existing phone for a new one if I wanted to would be nice.
I've been on it for years... the upshot is that you don't have to worry about selling the old phone / recycling the handset to pay the difference.

The downside is (this year at least) you can't pre-preorder so you effectively have to wait to preorder once the site goes live @ 1pm.

Edit: It's not worth it unless you want to upgrade every year.

Back
Top Bottom