Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
This one is actually on Google, there is no way to "push" Gmail to an email client (apart from their own) because they don't fully implement the protocol. They used to support Microsoft Exchange, but they dropped it for free accounts. Third party apps go around this by storing your credentials/login session on their own servers and check your emails every minute by hitting the Gmail endpoint, and send a push to your phone. Obviously this is something Apple would never do.

If you prefer using Apple's own email app instead of Gmail, you can forward your Gmail to an Outlook or iCloud email. Those do support push to iOS email app. Then change your SMTP settings to send emails through Gmail.

Ahhh right so not an Apple flaw but a Google one! I can drop that from one of my few Apple bugbears since switching over then.

I do love this phone, it just does all that I want and feels quality. Most normal use days I end the day with 30-40% - if I've hammered it then 20%ish and if it's been a slow day 50-60%. I've never had it close to dying and that is the best thing about it.

Soldato
I'm looking at the iPhone upgrade program - It states you can get it without Apple are+ however the link just takes you to a page that can not be found.

Anybody able to point me in the right direction

Soldato
I'm looking at the iPhone upgrade program - It states you can get it without Apple are+ however the link just takes you to a page that can not be found.

Anybody able to point me in the right direction

I think the upgrade every x months can only be done on the upgrade program, which automatically comes with Applecare+. The other option is just basically a 20 month 0% loan for the phone, you don't pay for Applecare+ but also there is no upgrade schedule, beyond that of paying off the loan and taking a new one. But I could be wrong.

Soldato
I think the upgrade every x months can only be done on the upgrade program, which automatically comes with Applecare+. The other option is just basically a 20 month 0% loan for the phone, you don't pay for Applecare+ but also there is no upgrade schedule, beyond that of paying off the loan and taking a new one. But I could be wrong.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Exclusively available at UK Apple Stores.
Representative example:

£818 purchase over 20 monthly payments at 0% p.a. (fixed) would cost £37.45 per month. £69 upfront payment required. Total cost of credit £0. Total amount of credit £749.

You can also choose to make low monthly payments without AppleCare+.

Learn more about iPhone Payments
_________

That's what I grabbed from the website. But yes, maybe you're right.

Soldato
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Exclusively available at UK Apple Stores.
Representative example:

£818 purchase over 20 monthly payments at 0% p.a. (fixed) would cost £37.45 per month. £69 upfront payment required. Total cost of credit £0. Total amount of credit £749.

You can also choose to make low monthly payments without AppleCare+.

Learn more about iPhone Payments
_________

That's what I grabbed from the website. But yes, maybe you're right.

I'm not sure, but I heard you can get the upgrade programme without AppleCare+ if you try to arrange it in an Apple store.

Needless to say, this equates to a 60% depreciation in one year, which is generally a very bad deal. You can sell iPhones after 12 months for 30% less.

Soldato
I'm not sure, but I heard you can get the upgrade programme without AppleCare+ if you try to arrange it in an Apple store.

Needless to say, this equates to a 60% depreciation in one year, which is generally a very bad deal. You can sell iPhones after 12 months for 30% less.

So not recommended?

Soldato
So not recommended?

Obviously it's interest-free financing if you don't upgrade (which isn't a bad deal), but if you upgrade after 12 months (which most people do), then it's equivalent of selling your phone back to Apple for 40% of the total price. It's more convenient than selling it yourself, but you're getting less value. So up to you to see if the convenience is worth it. It never made financial sense to me.

Soldato
I have done similar just to try it out, the last iPhone I used was a 4S.

been an android fan but pixel 6 left a sour taste after software bugs and decided to try apple. I do like it and got used to it but have a few gripes and feel that iOS is way behind android in:

Keyboard - terrible on iOS, often feels slow/laggy, prediction is meh, options for other keyboards are also meh, even simple things like resizing of it or number row seem to be a thing that we can't get. Google keyboard was/is ok but last update a year ago and it's very much broken in 15.2
Notifications - sheesh Apple really needs to copy android here asap, so cumbersome to swipe things way/interact with them!
The claim of "everything is so clean/polished" while true for Apple own apps, many are very buggy and weird. You'd never think that. Another is alternatives/costs. 9/10 apps I try an iOS seem to be paid for with subscription etc inside. Android usually has 10 different alternatives that are free or just have an ad/two.
App store - very clunky design/UX and just in general a bit of a faf to search for things.
Photos/Gallery app, horrid! so difficult to organize, bought swipebox app to help me keep things in order. On android your camera pictures go to camera, others have individual folders per app, easy! add a million different apps to the play and you can do what ever you want with your pictures. iOS not so much.

I got used to it, don't get me wrong and I'm happy with the phone.

overall I'm really liking

Battery life - impressive, have yet to kill it
Camera - really consistent, not what I would classify as always the best but very good at just point-and-shoot which is what you want from a phone. Video quality is above anything I tried on Android.
More popular apps like Instagram, facebook etc feel more "polished" on iOS and have fewer bugs
iCloud, surprisingly cheap and convenient to sync things between devices.

this is literally my feeling had the 13 pro now 3 months? After not having an iPhone since the 4 and been android user in between and I echo all this.

the keyboard drives me nuts, notifications are so much worse and the whole it just works fiasco doesn’t make sense and are obviously from people who hasn’t had an android in the last 5 years.

I’ll be selling this on when something android tickles my pickle again, possibly another Oneplus or new Samsung.

Soldato
Been really looking at an iPhone after having, like yourselves, been an Android user since iPhone 4S.

I just fancy a change to be honest, but I don't know if I could get myself away from how easy it is to use Google Assistant on my Pixel. I use voice commands over half the time and use dictation to send messages an email about 90% of the time.

I also really like how my Pixel will auto delete photos from my device when my storage is full, but they still appear in the Photos app like they never went anywhere, and you can an instant (lower quality) preview and then after a second or two you get the full quality image.

Soldato
That doesn't mean too much though. Look at Google Tensor, scores below the Snapdragons but is a beast with image processing and anything voice related

It's a graphics benchmark, don't see why voice AI or image post processing has to with a 3D graphics/gaming benchmark

Soldato
A15 destroys the Exynos 2200 by 60% in the Geekbench benchmark suite

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/exynos-2200-with-rdna-2-xclipse-920-gpu-gets-geekbenched

‍Not surprising. Android SoCs appear to be a complete mess this generation. Snapdragon 8G1 isn't that promising either. Apple did really push ahead with the A15 GPU.

That doesn't mean too much though. Look at Google Tensor, scores below the Snapdragons but is a beast with image processing and anything voice related

It was a benchmark between A15 and Exynos 2200, not tensor. At least up to Exynos 2100, it also had seriously inferior image processing compared to S888 or A15, in fact it was several generations behind.

That benchmarks aren't all they add up to be.

Yeah, benchmarks about GPU performance don't reveal AI or photography, or CPU, or efficiency, or video processing, or modem performance, etc. Don't we all know that? :confused:

Soldato
It's not about benchmarks, the only thing that's important is how well the device works.

These are not independent. Benchmarks, if looked at correctly, give you a good indicator of how well a device performs certain functions that might be of interest to certain users.

Associate
Hi for those who've had the 13 pro and 13 pro max, can you let me know what sort of screen on time you are getting a few months after owning them? Thanks
iPhone 13 Pro since launch day. On a really good day, I can get between 6-7hs SOT. On a really bad day. I have seen it drop down to est 4hr SOT. I have yet to kill the battery in a day mind. On average I can get down to about 30% ish before I charge overnight and have 100% in the morning.

No doubt the Pro Max will be better.

Soldato
Hi for those who've had the 13 pro and 13 pro max, can you let me know what sort of screen on time you are getting a few months after owning them? Thanks

13 to max since launch. According to the battery app in the last 2 weeks I've averaged 9.5hrs Perday screen on and the lowest the battery has dropped to before charging was 28%

Back
Top Bottom