Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
So I bought an Apple 30w charger to use for all my charging needs and also because there are times when I need to go away for a couple of months at a time, so I wanted one that would handle all of my Apple devices. I'm just charging my iPhone 13 Pro Max on it, and the phone is getting quite warm. Not hot, but not cold either. I've read articles saying that the iPhone 13 Pro Max supports 27w charging, which was one of the reasons why I bought the charger, and it does charge faster.

I am just wondering if anyone else has any input at all?

Commissario
Monday mornings, my phone is very low on battery because I don't charge it at the weekend and it gets quite warm when I put it on the charger. This is normal, when you start charging, the current will be higher and that generates heat. P=IV etc.

Soldato
Monday mornings, my phone is very low on battery because I don't charge it at the weekend and it gets quite warm when I put it on the charger. This is normal, when you start charging, the current will be higher and that generates heat. P=IV etc.

Thanks. I was just a bit worried it couldn't handle the watts.

Caporegime

Heat is bad for battery health. I find that if I use this cheap wireless charger the phone gets warm but if I use my Anker wireless charger it does not so I have stopped using the cheap wireless one. Strange is that the cheap pad is the slowest.

Commissario
Heat is bad for battery health. I find that if I use this cheap wireless charger the phone gets warm but if I use my Anker wireless charger it does not so I have stopped using the cheap wireless one. Strange is that the cheap pad is the slowest.
Yup, it's part of the reason I really don't care about fast chargers.

The cheap charger you've got is probably just horribly inefficient.

Soldato

Yup, it's part of the reason I really don't care about fast chargers.

The cheap charger you've got is probably just horribly inefficient.

There's so much misinformation about this all over the internet, even from websites claiming expertise in battery technology, or even sometimes manufacturers.

Heat is bad during discharge, but anything up to even 60c or more isn't a problem during charging. There are actually benefits to higher temperature charging in terms of longevity. Heat is only a problem if you're discharging at the same time as charging, which is a possibility for tablets/laptops but not for phones unless gaming at the same time, but that's another reason for fast charging.

https://www.cell.com/joule/fulltext/S2542-4351(19)30481-7

EsP2NA1.jpg

Commissario
There's so much misinformation about this all over the internet, even from websites claiming expertise in battery technology, or even sometimes manufacturers.
Yup, I saw a video recently on YouTube on a well respected channel claiming to tell the truth about heat in phones and some of it was completely laughable. What was worse were the sycophantic comments saying how good it was, how nice to have it explained and all the while I was thinking to myself that he really didn't have a clue, he certainly wasn't qualified to explain what he was trying to explain.

It is true that under certain circumstances, heat can affect batteries but in real terms, the sort of heat cycles we're going to put the batteries in our smartphones through really isn't going to make any measurable difference to the lifespan whatsoever.

I get up in the morning, my iPhone goes on the MagSafe charger in the office from 09:00 to 17:30, being taken off for use throughout the day. At weekends, it comes off on a Friday evening and then I use it on battery all weekend before charging again on Monday morning. I don't know if it's fast charging, I genuinely don't care. When I'm in the car, it's on an apple MagSafe charger and again, I don't care if it's fast or slow charging, whether it gets warm or not. I know that when the battery is low, it gets warm but as I said before, that's to be expected because the initial charge current is higher.

I've been using rechargeable batteries for well over 45 years and I've heard everything from so called experts. It's at the stage now where I just take it all with a very large pinch of salt.

Soldato
Yup, I saw a video recently on YouTube on a well respected channel claiming to tell the truth about heat in phones and some of it was completely laughable. What was worse were the sycophantic comments saying how good it was, how nice to have it explained and all the while I was thinking to myself that he really didn't have a clue, he certainly wasn't qualified to explain what he was trying to explain.

It is true that under certain circumstances, heat can affect batteries but in real terms, the sort of heat cycles we're going to put the batteries in our smartphones through really isn't going to make any measurable difference to the lifespan whatsoever.

I get up in the morning, my iPhone goes on the MagSafe charger in the office from 09:00 to 17:30, being taken off for use throughout the day. At weekends, it comes off on a Friday evening and then I use it on battery all weekend before charging again on Monday morning. I don't know if it's fast charging, I genuinely don't care. When I'm in the car, it's on an apple MagSafe charger and again, I don't care if it's fast or slow charging, whether it gets warm or not. I know that when the battery is low, it gets warm but as I said before, that's to be expected because the initial charge current is higher.

I've been using rechargeable batteries for well over 45 years and I've heard everything from so called experts. It's at the stage now where I just take it all with a very large pinch of salt.

Thank you for explaining. I really appreciate it.

Soldato
Hi iPhone 13 dudes. My wife wants a new phone, mainly for an improved camera. We both currently have the XR and I’m enjoying being out of contract on a cheap deal.

I presume if getting the best camera is the reason to upgrade then the 13 pro is the one to get? Any thoughts on the various mini options? I find the XR is slightly too big for one handed use.

Thanks for your help!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
13 pro is a good size, but I found it heavy. Cameras are really good, but not night and day better than the 13. I have the 13 mini and it’s really solid. The Pro will do macro photos, is better in lower light on both wide and ultra wide and of course has the zoom lens.

Caporegime
You might aswell wait and get the 14?

That was my sentiments. I was so close to getting the iPhone 13 mini but then decided to hang fire and wait for 14 Pro (Pro being a no-brainer as it seems to be the only model getting any new features this year). Bought the iPad mini instead for now.

Soldato
Stupid question but does anyone know what the lightning icon is on the top left (when in portrait mode) of the camera app on the iPhone 13 Pro Max? I have all updates installed.

In fact, does anyone know a good tutorial for working with the camera app on the iPhone in general? I don't know anything about taking photos or videos but I want to make a small YouTube channel so I figure I might as well try and understand what I am doing.

Back
Top Bottom