Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
I've just recorded my first video on my 13 Pro Max at 4k 30fps using ProRes and it seems to be taking ages to import from my phone. At first, it didn't work at all even when it comes to single photos. It has now imported the photos but the video import process looks like it is hanging for some reason. Is there anything special you need to do to import videos files?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I've just recorded my first video on my 13 Pro Max at 4k 30fps using ProRes and it seems to be taking ages to import from my phone. At first, it didn't work at all even when it comes to single photos. It has now imported the photos but the video import process looks like it is hanging for some reason. Is there anything special you need to do to import videos files?

Where are you importing them to? Keep in mind ProRes is a big file format. I would only use it if you are planning to make use of the extra data in post processing.

Have a read of this:

This bit is important:

Manage ProRes files​

ProRes files are up to 30 times larger than HEVC files. If you store the files on your device, you might run out of space more quickly than you expect. And if you use iCloud Photos to store your photos, you might need to upgrade your iCloud storage plan to make more space available for these larger files. iCloud also has limits on file size.
iOS helps you optimize your storage when recording in ProRes. To extend ProRes recording time when data storage is low, you can free resources while using the Camera app. The Camera app will also free resources automatically when ProRes is enabled and less than five minutes of recording time is available.
Freeing resources will clear temporary system or app data that might be stored on your iPhone. It doesn't permanently delete unrecoverable data, but might require some apps to refresh data when they're used again. To record in ProRes, you need at least 10 percent of the storage in your iPhone to be free.

Soldato
Where are you importing them to? Keep in mind ProRes is a big file format. I would only use it if you are planning to make use of the extra data in post processing.

Have a read of this:

This bit is important:
Thank you. I didn't realise that. I rerecorded the video in 1080p 30fps without ProRes so that should be a much more manageable file size to work with.

This is all a massive experiment on my part as it'll be my first ever YouTube video once I've edited it and done a thumbnail and things. It'll take a while to learn how to do everything that is required.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Thank you. I didn't realise that. I rerecorded the video in 1080p 30fps without ProRes so that should be a much more manageable file size to work with.

This is all a massive experiment on my part as it'll be my first ever YouTube video once I've edited it and done a thumbnail and things. It'll take a while to learn how to do everything that is required.

Turn off ProRes, it's unnecessary for 99% of people.

Soldato
That’s got me curious what are you lot generally using for settings for video.

I’ve got my set to 30 @ 720p seems fine to me. I was using RAW for the photo but was finding it a nightmare to e-mail photos to people/clients which I regularly do.

Soldato
Something that’s bugged me on all my iPhones including my 13 pro Max is they have all struggled to stream 4k YouTube over Wi-Fi. Gets even worse if something else is streaming from my Wi-Fi.(Perfect doing the same thing from 4G)
Any other phone and it’s no problem, this is on a 500mb line. Speedtest show I’m getting full speed.
I know, first world problems and all that. :rolleyes:

Soldato
So I’ve been using the iPhone 13 Pro Max for about 6 months now and being into photography I’m seriously impressed with the camera quality, ProRaw workflow and the seamless integration with Lightroom & Photoshop across my iPad Pro and Windows PC.

The quality coming from the ultra-wide (13mm) and wide (26mm) cameras is good enough that I’ve sold my high end pro Sony Mirrorless lenses, as the differences for screen based output is negligible. The Telephoto (77Mm) camera still sucks, so there is some work for Apple & Sony to do for future phones. Also, the front facing camera is very poor. This could be fixed easily enough by adding an LCD screen on the back of the phone, enabling selfies using the rear higher quality cameras.

Lastly - the battery life of the Pro Max is incredible. I regularly get 3-4 days between charges.

Turning a ProRaw file into the desired output is easy work.
Original ultra wide from the phone.

52075813581_68307eeaf8_b.jpg

Phone Lightroom edit

52075813521_fe6455a08c_b.jpg

Soldato
I am itching to get a refurb 128G 13 Pro for about £650...keep that for 18 months and trade it in for the 15 when everything is USB-C. Signs are iPhone 14 isn't going to be that big a leap from the 13 and my XR feels a little stuttery of late.
I held off as best I could on the 13PM but eventually caved in March when I got a refurb for £824. I was determined to hold out until the 14PM however my itchy trigger finger combined with larger screen & ProMotion (which were the only 2 things I really cared about) won out in the end. Plus the closer the 14PM gets the less of an upgrade it seems to be over the 13PM.
Additionally, with all the (economical and logistical) madness in the world I started to think that a 14PM might be difficult to acquire on or near release and the price could well go up.
It’s amazing how I’ll try to justify a compulsive purchase :D

As it is I’m very happy with my 13PM. Of course I was very happy with my standard 12 as well however I didn’t have the desire to spring for the more expensive PM model at the time (as it was my first foray into iPhone) which is something I regretted after a while so I was always lusting after that larger display.

Associate
I am itching to get a refurb 128G 13 Pro for about £650...keep that for 18 months and trade it in for the 15 when everything is USB-C. Signs are iPhone 14 isn't going to be that big a leap from the 13 and my XR feels a little stuttery of late.
Where have you seen one for that price? Or is that your preferred buying price?

Soldato
They're always difficult to get at release unless you're there as pre-orders start on day one.

Haven't prices actually dropped the last couple of years?
They have but I’m not holding my breath this time around given the rate that prices for everything else are increasing. At best it’ll be a price freeze. I just think with the 14 Max in the mix this time they will use that to justify a higher price for the Pro Max.

Soldato
They really have not been that hard to get hold of for the last few launches. The lead time was only a couple of weeks from Apple at the most and usually available to walk in and buy from 3rd party sellers/networks.

Soldato
They really have not been that hard to get hold of for the last few launches. The lead time was only a couple of weeks from Apple at the most and usually available to walk in and buy from 3rd party sellers/networks.
I’m not denying they weren’t however all I’m saying is there’s potential for it this time round with the current global supply chain fiasco. Just look at the lead times for their MacBook Pro’s and iPad Airs - 2 months and 1 month respectively. Admittedly that’s direct from Apple but if I was paying full retail I’d be purchasing direct from them.

Back
Top Bottom