***The Official LG Optimus G2 Thread***

Mobster
Soldato
Right, I've ordered one from Amazon.de. It should be here by the end of next week. I'll post some thoughts when I receive it!

I would like a tough case so if I drop it, the screen won't crack and also some clear (maybe anti-glare, but I have always found they detract from the screen quality - is that still the same?) screen protectors that provide a good resistance to scratching. What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Soldato
Seems like the best way to get a 32GB is to import one from Amazon.fr or Amazon.de (it's about £480 inc. 2-3 day postage from Amazon.de). Then, if it's faulty/you don't like it, you can return it easily thanks to their fantastic returns policy. You also get a full EU warranty as well...

I think I'll do this...

You can get the same 32 gb model off the bay for £100 less with full warranty brand new

Soldato
Switched to the N5 from the G2 and can honestly say that the N5 is very close to the G2 now. The only thing that the G2 holds an advantage over the N5 is the battery.

The N5 seems to take better pictures in low light than the G2 which is very surprising. I'm glad I never got rid of my N5 although now the G2 might be on it's way out... :eek:

Mobster
Soldato
Switched to the N5 from the G2 and can honestly say that the N5 is very close to the G2 now. The only thing that the G2 holds an advantage over the N5 is the battery.

The N5 seems to take better pictures in low light than the G2 which is very surprising. I'm glad I never got rid of my N5 although now the G2 might be on it's way out... :eek:

The camera takes higher resolution pictures, no?

Soldato
The camera takes higher resolution pictures, no?

Technically the LG G2 has higher resolution but there's something in the processing that makes low light pictures look like watercolours, whereas Google have worked their magic and made the camera on the N5 much more better.

Everyone would agree that the Achilles heel of the N5 was the camera but now that's been rectified I'd be confident to take the N5 out and use the camera.

I've taken pictures in near darkness and for some reason the G2 fires off the flash but doesn't give the camera time to focus and you end up with a blurred mess (and I'm using the xdabbed camera mod)

Although having said that apparently LG have upgraded the camera firmware and released it in South Korea which have rectified a lot problems, I have no idea when it will make it over to these shores.

Soldato
What about the speaker, is the Nexus 5 better than the G2?

No the speaker's better on the G2, however the 4.4.1 update has improved the speaker on the N5 but it's not a patch on the G2.

Audio playback via headphones is much better on the G2 compared to the N5 because of the 24 bit audio mod the G2 has.

Having said that though the 4.4.1 update has brought the N5 a lot more closer to the G2 and the gap has decreased significantly between the two devices.

Soldato
The G2 is a nice phone I had one before losing it, the only thing that let's it down is the software, I bought the N5 as a replacement and wouldn't go back stock kitkat is great super snappy and smooth.

Soldato
Ok, so I'm rooted and TWRP installed. Not too painful :) Here's how for those that want to know:

This is on a HK 32Gb import.

Drivers
Go to device manager in windows and uninstall any drivers that have installed themselves.
Then install the drivers in the root video below

Root
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKuedInhdjU
Don't ignore the unplugging and toggling USB debugging stage
I used IOroot12 from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=48256853&postcount=664

Install TWRP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZBHZQEI96o

Soldato
Really liking my G2, glad I chose it over an S4 or N5 I think. I aren't one for modding, custom ROM's and all this lot. Good out of the box phone. It's my first android phone after coming from a Lumia 800 and it's actually quite surprising how much more it can do.

Only thing I've really done to it is go through every setting with a fine tooth comb from the out of the box set up to keep things a bit more private and secure, I didn't realise how much Google kept tabs on you picking up search history from my usual PC etc and it being synced to the phone, not that there is anything dodgy that I search for but boy do they keep tabs on you :)

Really pleased with the screen quality, performance, camera is plenty good enough for me and it looks like there is loads I can add onto the phone from the play store if I wish to. I guess 32GB would have been nice long term but very happy I chose this!

I popped on a Diztronic case I ordered and some cheap screen protectors from ebay with no fowling but we'll see how long it takes for the screen protector to lift, the case doesn't touch it though if anyone wants the item number to the ones I got.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does Nova Prime have double tap to switch off? Apex, annoyingly, doesn't.

I'm desperate to move away from the stock launcher, tap off is essential though!

Soldato
Time to wave goodbye to the LG G2, as much as it's a good phone I simply prefer the N5 over it and would prefer to get some cash for it while I can.

It's off to a new home....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom