Poll: *** The official Mac Studio thread (it has the M1 Max, the M1 Ultra and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy an Apple Studio?

• Total voters
Soldato
A week later, I've found the issue with my Mac Studio not going to sleep. I managed to narrow the problem down to the Studio Display. The Mac Studio would go to sleep with no display connected or the Thunderbolt Display. It turned out to by the setting "Listen for "Hey Siri" on Studio Display" with this enabled, it stopped my Mac Studio from sleeping.

Luckily Siri is something I rarely used, so I've just disabled it. Just posting in case anyone else runs into this issue.

Soldato
A week later, I've found the issue with my Mac Studio not going to sleep. I managed to narrow the problem down to the Studio Display. The Mac Studio would go to sleep with no display connected or the Thunderbolt Display. It turned out to by the setting "Listen for "Hey Siri" on Studio Display" with this enabled, it stopped my Mac Studio from sleeping.

Luckily Siri is something I rarely used, so I've just disabled it. Just posting in case anyone else runs into this issue.

Mine does go to sleep with Studio Display but I also had never enabled Hey Siri. Sounds like a bug that they should fix.

Soldato
I'm still getting used to my Magic Trackpad. I've been using it exclusively instead of the mouse since I got it, and I'm pretty impressed. The only thing I find annoying is when I accidentally use a gesture, and it does something, and I'm not entirely sure what I did to enable the gesture. I still need to find time to configure BetterTouchTool. Also, I'm surprised at how fast the battery life goes down compared to my Magic Keyboard.

Soldato
Thought I'll add I do not have these noise issues some have reported. I have above average hearing, I am not deaf.

I did a free hearing test at SpecSavers and was determined to have "super hearing", whatever that means, could explain why I'm so sensitive to fan noise or coil whine (which the Mac Studio also has a fair amount of, but it's much better now than when I first got it).

Eventually bought a 2m thunderbolt cable and moved the mac studio under the desk a little further away, combined with reducing fans to 1100rpm it made it more or less inaudible for me.

Soldato
I did a free hearing test at SpecSavers and was determined to have "super hearing", whatever that means, could explain why I'm so sensitive to fan noise or coil whine (which the Mac Studio also has a fair amount of, but it's much better now than when I first got it).

Eventually bought a 2m thunderbolt cable and moved the mac studio under the desk a little further away, combined with reducing fans to 1100rpm it made it more or less inaudible for me.
Guess it possibly means very little, I was tested at ENT.

Commissario
OP
Finally got mine ordered.

Keyboard and trackpad being delivered on Thursday
Studio display provisional delivery date 27th June
Mac Studio Ultra, base spec with a 2Tb SSD provisional delivery date 20th July

Soldato
Finally got mine ordered.

Keyboard and trackpad being delivered on Thursday
Studio display provisional delivery date 27th June
Mac Studio Ultra, base spec with a 2Tb SSD provisional delivery date 20th July
Wow. Those are some hefty lead times… still haven’t ordered mine. Guess I better get on with it if I want it this side of Christmas. :D

Commissario
OP
Those are some hefty lead times…
Yeah, I just wasn’t able to order any earlier but I’ve been able to save a few shillings so it’s been worth the wait. Reading the Macrumors forums, it seems that quite a lot of people are getting them up to a month ahead of their predicted date.
It’ll be nice to get everything early but not the end of the world if I don’t.

Soldato
Seems some users are experiencing fan whine.

Hmm, odd. I've never had that problem. On the other hand, I always have my AirPods in when using my computer so I might just not be noticing it. Gotta love noise cancelling.

Soldato
Ever since I bought the Magic Trackpad I haven't touched my mouse. I never thought I'd like it but, wow! It is just so easy to use and I haven't even started playing around with BetterTouchTool yet.

Back
Top Bottom