Poll: *** The official Mac Studio thread (it has the M1 Max, the M1 Ultra and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy an Apple Studio?

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Oh christ, no. That would mean this forum would end up like Graphics cards. That place scares me :D
That and the CPU forum are the absolute dross of this place. I seldom venture in there and if I dare ask something I get 1000000 replies from opinionated 'experts' who are all arguing with each other.

Soldato
I measured the power consumption (from the socket) for my Mac Studio, Studio display and another LG Ultrafine. They use about 70w combined during normal computer usage (web browsing, youtube, writing code/docs), and about 90w when I put them under pressure (code compile).

As electricity is going to cost us 28.34p per kWh, my setup is costing me about £15 per month. Similar Intel setup would use ~250w so the cost would be about £50 per month.

Over the next year these super efficient M1 chips are saving me £400 compared to an Intel machine. If electricity goes another 2x in January then the savings would be £70 per month. No doubt these macs are expensive but in this day and age the efficiency and performance per watt are actually meaningful benefits in terms of running costs.

Associate
Hi all, hope you can help with a little question...

I picked up a used Mac Studio last week to replace my iMac, but am finding it a bit noisy. There's a fairly constant coil whine type sound, and a deeper whirring - presumably the fan. This is at idle at desktop so not under load.

Is this normal? I have the option of returning it if need be.

Thanks

Associate
From the reading I've done, it should be nearly silent at idle.

Hmm, yeah mines definitely not!

Have done some more reading and it seems it's a common problems with the M1 Max (which I have). Think I'll send it back and try again.

Bought it used from a retailer for £100 less than new from CostCo. Thought it came with Applecare, but turns out it doesn't. Annoying in the short term, but best to send it back and get it right

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom