Poll: *** The official Mac Studio thread (it has the M1 Max, the M1 Ultra and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy an Apple Studio?

• Total voters
Soldato
I've pretty much completely switched to only using the Magic Trackpad which is a massive surprise as mine because before I switched I was using a Logitech G502 gaming mouse. Now I'm thinking about the odd occasion I want to game and was thinking about the latest Magic Mouse. It is wireless which is good and it still retains some of the features of the Magic Trackpad so would you switch to the Magic Mouse if you had the chance?

Commissario
OP
so would you switch to the Magic Mouse if you had the chance?
No. I think it's rubbish. I've got one, I ordered one with my iMac as well as the trackpad and it's utter garbage. It's far too small, I find it uncomfortable and my hand aches if I try and use it for any period of time. The gestures you can use are limited compared to the trackpad and because I don't have hands that are the size of a teenage girl, it's impossible to actually use any of those gestures.

Don't even start me on the charging port being on the bottom :D

If you want to try one, buy it direct from Apple so you can return it within the fourteen days.

Soldato
No. I think it's rubbish. I've got one, I ordered one with my iMac as well as the trackpad and it's utter garbage. It's far too small, I find it uncomfortable and my hand aches if I try and use it for any period of time. The gestures you can use are limited compared to the trackpad and because I don't have hands that are the size of a teenage girl, it's impossible to actually use any of those gestures.

If you want to try one, buy it direct from Apple so you can return it within the fourteen days.
Thank you. My problem is I'm running out of USB-A and USB-C ports on my Studio so if I wanted to go with the mouse I'd have to unplug my webcam. I've been wanting a Thunderbolt 4 hub but that is expensive so I was hoping to go with something wireless that didn't require a dongle in terms of a mouse.

I mean I still have my gaming mouse so I guess I could just use it for gaming and plug the webcam back in when finished but that seems like a bit of a faff. Hmm.

Soldato

Not just me then… The Magic Mouse is perhaps Apple’s worst device. Unergonomic crap.

Soldato
Magic Mouse is garbage.

I use a Wacom tablet for day-to-day and I got a Magic Trackpad to control my laptop from a distance.

I would love it if they brought out a bigger Track Pad that worked with the Apple Pencil — that could be a real Wacom killer — but I imagine the number of users who would want that are tiny.

Soldato
Magic Mouse is garbage.

I use a Wacom tablet for day-to-day and I got a Magic Trackpad to control my laptop from a distance.

I would love it if they brought out a bigger Track Pad that worked with the Apple Pencil — that could be a real Wacom killer — but I imagine the number of users who would want that are tiny.
That would be awesome seeing as I already have an Apple Pencil 2 for use with my iPad. I've always thought that the Apple Pencil 2 would be great on a Mac.

Soldato
Good luck!

My boss has just put in the order for my new one!
  • M1 MAX with 32-core GPU
  • 64GB Ram
  • 1TB SSD
Plus Studio display.

Lead times look like end of June/early July so let's see when it arrives.

Apparently there was some issue with the finance so the order didn’t go through. :(

Looks like it will be August before I get this now as I’m on holiday at the end of July.

Soldato
Does anyone know if the Mac Studio has a decent external Blu-ray / DVD / CD drive? I'm clearing all the stuff I have at my Mums house and realise I no longer own a CD drive to play all my old music.

Man of Honour
Does anyone know if the Mac Studio has a decent external Blu-ray / DVD / CD drive? I'm clearing all the stuff I have at my Mums house and realise I no longer own a CD drive to play all my old music.
No, just buy any external USB one and plug it in. I have an LG BD one.

Commissario
OP
I wasn’t interested in a BD drive and I had a couple of cheap external DVD drives that worked but they didn’t match the Mac in looks and they weren’t properly supported in makemkv to rip my DVDs so I ended up with the official Apple SuperDrive. Far too expensive for what it is but it looks the part and it works better than the cheapies. If you’re just playing/ripping audio CDs then probably anything will do.

Soldato
I wasn’t interested in a BD drive and I had a couple of cheap external DVD drives that worked but they didn’t match the Mac in looks and they weren’t properly supported in makemkv to rip my DVDs so I ended up with the official Apple SuperDrive. Far too expensive for what it is but it looks the part and it works better than the cheapies. If you’re just playing/ripping audio CDs then probably anything will do.
That sounds like the best option for me. I already have a 4k Blu-ray player for playing films and TV but I really just wanted a CD player on my Mac to rip audio CDs.

Back
Top Bottom