Poll: *** The official Mac Studio thread (it has the M1 Max, the M1 Ultra and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy an Apple Studio?

• Total voters
Soldato
Probably because Apple bangs on about gaming constantly.
Yeah but Apple will never actually care about AAA gaming until there's a business model that allows them to make money from it the same way they do from mobile gaming and microtransactions. Until then, Apple gaming will suck no matter how much they talk about it at their events.

Associate
Having watched LTT and especially Antony for a while, I am certain he will have spent days ensuring that his assessment of the product is fair and defensible from his perspective. I personally think it is a balanced review, though I would not have opened withy gaming. basically the chip is similar to an ASIC in many respects, highly tuned for some video editing using RAW etc... but not for other things. I guess the clue is in the name - Studio.

Soldato
Yeah but Apple will never actually care about AAA gaming until there's a business model that allows them to make money from it the same way they do from mobile gaming and microtransactions. Until then, Apple gaming will suck no matter how much they talk about it at their events.
We know. It’s the Apple marketing department that hasn’t got the memo.

Soldato
I bought a FiiO KA3 DAC for my Mac Studio but I'm confused over whether I need to install any drivers for it? The website is a bit unclear:

I'm listening to Apple Music with Hi-Def Audio selected as the output media and the DAC is selected as the Sound output in System Preferences. Do I need to do anything extra to set things up?

Man of Honour
I bought a FiiO KA3 DAC for my Mac Studio but I'm confused over whether I need to install any drivers for it? The website is a bit unclear:

I'm listening to Apple Music with Hi-Def Audio selected as the output media and the DAC is selected as the Sound output in System Preferences. Do I need to do anything extra to set things up?

[Macbook]
Macbook does not need to install the driver. Directly choose the NEW K3 as the output device. How to use the FiiO device as USB DAC on MAC: https://forum.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=202105191616354037331

Soldato

[Macbook]
Macbook does not need to install the driver. Directly choose the NEW K3 as the output device. How to use the FiiO device as USB DAC on MAC: https://forum.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=202105191616354037331
Thank you!

That is really weird. I'm playing music through the DAC but I'm getting breaks in the audio as if it were a skipping CD. I've tried on all three quality options in Apple Music and the same thing happens. I'll try and contact support and see what they say.

Commissario
OP
Day 78 and still counting. I'm not even in my delivery window yet.

When I bought this iMac, back in 2017 shortly after the new version was released, it was custom built in China and delivered in just ten days which seemed like a lifetime then.

Yes, covid, yes, chip shortages but these extended delivery times are ludicrous.

Soldato
Day 78 and still counting. I'm not even in my delivery window yet.

When I bought this iMac, back in 2017 shortly after the new version was released, it was custom built in China and delivered in just ten days which seemed like a lifetime then.

Yes, covid, yes, chip shortages but these extended delivery times are ludicrous.
Demand for these is just so much higher than iMacs. I know companies that have ordered 100s in one go.

Commissario
OP
Preparing to Ship
When your order has shipped, we’ll send you tracking information. Due to the impact of COVID-19 and increased demand for online shopping, we recommend visiting Track Shipment for the most up-to-date delivery information, as well as options to reschedule or redirect your delivery.

Commissario
OP
I've been setting it up over the weekend and I have to say that I'm loving it. I've set it up from scratch, not using migration assistant so I've had my iMac running, working my way through the installed applications and re-installing them onto the new computer. I'm blown away by the speed of this thing and I've barely touched the surface of it.

What amazes me more than anything else is the power consumption. It's drawing about 15-16W while I'm using it now with all my normal stuff open, plenty of tabs in Safari etc. It's effectively just idling. To put that into perspective, a Raspberry Pi4 at idle draws about 4.5W.

I've seen plenty of talk on macrumours about coil whine but I don't have any. Yes, I can hear the fans running and it's fractionally louder than the iMac was at idle but the fans on the iMac used to ramp up at the slightest load - I've run a few things to give this a bit of a thrash but I've not heard the fans speed up at all.

All in all I'm very happy.

Soldato
I've been setting it up over the weekend and I have to say that I'm loving it. I've set it up from scratch, not using migration assistant so I've had my iMac running, working my way through the installed applications and re-installing them onto the new computer. I'm blown away by the speed of this thing and I've barely touched the surface of it.

What amazes me more than anything else is the power consumption. It's drawing about 15-16W while I'm using it now with all my normal stuff open, plenty of tabs in Safari etc. It's effectively just idling. To put that into perspective, a Raspberry Pi4 at idle draws about 4.5W.

I've seen plenty of talk on macrumours about coil whine but I don't have any. Yes, I can hear the fans running and it's fractionally louder than the iMac was at idle but the fans on the iMac used to ramp up at the slightest load - I've run a few things to give this a bit of a thrash but I've not heard the fans speed up at all.

All in all I'm very happy.
You can bring the fan down to 1100 with Mac Fan Control (free version). It will then be completely inaudible then. And I couldn't get the temps to go above 55 even at that constant minimum. So fans never ramp up.

Back
Top Bottom