*** The Official macOS Ventura thread ***

Commissario
It's going to be Ace ;)

PgW3VMb.png

I for one will be glad to see the back of macOS Monterey. It's not that there's anything actually wrong with it, it's just that I have a mental block when it comes to spelling it. Does it have two rs, is it an a or an e at the end? I never get it right first time :D

Apple have posted a big list of changes and updates on their preview page but there's one big thing for me that's not mentioned on there but which makes me very excited about macOS Ventura.

It's adding native support for various steering wheels and pedals, such as the Logitech G29 and G920. I have a G29 and I've not been able to use it since the Logitech drivers stopped working, a couple of macOS versions ago. I'm finally going to be able to get my wheel, pedals and shifter out of the box and drive ETS2/ATS and F1 2017 again.

Game Controller framework
A wide variety of new and existing game controllers are supported by the Game Controller framework across Apple platforms. macOS also adds support for the most popular racing wheels, pedals, and shifters, including the Logitech G920 and Logitech G29 - source

It's in developer beta right now and the public beta is expected to start in July. You can find out more about macOS Ventura here.

Man of Honour
Also looking forward to this. macOS hasn't changed massively, it's been a sort of Big Sur made better, Ventura is bringing some decent changes.

Soldato
Lots of good little changes, I don't need anything groundbreaking year on year and I think the last few years have been exactly that in my experience. Stability has been good and lots of little tweaks. Yeah we get some new features always but nothing super revolutionary.

Commissario
OP
macOS hasn't changed massively, it's been a sort of Big Sur made better,

Lots of good little changes, I don't need anything groundbreaking year on year and I think the last few years have been exactly that in my experience.

I think that's pretty much what I said when Monterey was released:

"This year is the first year that I was actually disappointed with the announcement,. Big Sur is fine but it's not as polished as previous releases and I'm still finding things that aren't quite right. I'd rather they concentrate on fixing the issues with Big Sur than release a new version. We don't necessarily need new major releases every year."

Soldato
Have there been many Apple Music announcements? The dedicated classical music app should be awesome. I'm hoping they improve the standard music app at the same time.

Edit: Gah. Just saw the link in the top post.

Man of Honour
Tried the beta out today (5), seemed fine until I disconnected my MBP14 in Clamshell mode from my external monitor (Alienware AW3821DW) the system hard reset. The next time I disconnected it didn't crash but the built in screen seemed to maintain the same resolution (and real estate) and I couldn't do anything with it. Monterey back on!

Reactions: UXB
Caporegime
Guys, I’m a bit out of the loop when it comes to macOS these days. Am I right in saying that the new Macs with M chips run all the iOS apps that you can run on an iPhone/iPad?

Because if so, I might look at selling my iPad mini for a MacBook Air or something.

Caporegime
Sorry for asking generic macOS questions in here but I had a problem this morning copying >4GB videos from iPhone to Windows; in that Windows can't see any video bigger than this size so I had to upgrade to iCloud+ and let it back them up so I could download and delete to recover the space.

Does this weird anomaly also apply to macOS or is just a Windows hangup from FAT32 days?

Back
Top Bottom