**** The Official Nokia 8 Thread ****

Soldato
I manually updated my Nokia 8 to android Pie and it's absolutely garbage. If I could go back in time, I'd rather place my gentlemanly vegetables in a blender than update.

Not buggy or slow but horribly designed. The new quick settings menu now lacks drop downs, if you want to change WiFi network you need to tap and hold to open the settings app. Connecting to a Bluetooth device requires holding to open the settings app and a further tap to open previously connected devices. They also replaced the strike though on WiFi and Bluetooth toggles for a different colour to show when they are disabled.

The notifications in the top left can only show a max of 2-3 notifications, anymore and it shows one less and a dot. There is no Bluetooth symbol in the top right unless you are connected to a Bluetooth device so you have no idea if Bluetooth is on. This is to avoid having anything appear in the top middle where you might have a notch. But we don't so it's just hiding information from us.

Finally there is the recent apps menu. Whoever designed this needs a slap for completely failing at making a functional menu. Open it and it shows the current app and a sliver of the next app. It only shows a maximum of 1 app and the slivers of the next apps. You also swipe horizontally rather than vertically which is far more uncomfortable and new apps clunk into place rather than scrolling smoothly. So to open anything but the last app requires swiping right multiple times until you get to it or a big swipe right then a swipe left cause you went past the app you want.

Here is an album of the changes I discussed: http://imgur.com/a/UDI7AOY

Now it's possible that the fish, lizard or sheep people might prefer the new designs. They arguably look cleaner or something. But Google has made these fairly massive changes without a single option for the user to decide whether they want them. Even which better text selection I will be looking into how to upgrade to Oreo.

Soldato
Sadly dropped mine getting out of the car the other day, screen has a chip in it at the edge with cracks radiating out across the bottom third of the screen. :( I thought Gorilla Glass 5 was supposed to be decent?

Don't know whether to try repairing it with a new screen off eBay or just see if it'll sell for £100~. I've ordered a used Sony XZ to replace it as I don't think I ever really needed the power of the 835 and don't want a glass backed phone.

Last edited:
Associate
Ordered a couple of these for me and my wife last night. Got to wait for my mum to test them and post them out to Finland but I'm looking forward to it. Seems like it will be a nice upgrade over my Honor 6X!

Associate
Yep mine's updated to Pie this week too, not been as bad as expected. It's definitely tweaked stuff that was fine before, and does feel like change for the sake of change. No slow downs or crashes etc though. I think my SD card might be on the way out though, on Oreo and Pie I have the odd slow/failed startup when I turn the phone on - it does the checking memory card bit before Android starts (which normally takes milliseconds) and stalls for 10 secs then restarts and boot up all over again :(

Associate
I've noticed that I wasn't getting email alerts since the pie update ... had a dig and looks like they've improved the "battery optimization" - so looks like it was preventing gmail from wasting battery by running its regular check for new emails in the background ... disabled battery optimization on Gmail and it seems to be alerting me on emails again - though there are probably several other apps that need similar treatment.

Associate
Anyone else having issue with mega battery drain on Pie? I've tired factory reset, I can't even get half a day out of it at the moment, that with no calls, under an hour and a half screen time - basically just checking a few emails and forums now and again. Before the Pie update all was great, now I'm charging it twice a day.

Associate
Anyone else having issue with mega battery drain on Pie? I've tired factory reset, I can't even get half a day out of it at the moment, that with no calls, under an hour and a half screen time - basically just checking a few emails and forums now and again. Before the Pie update all was great, now I'm charging it twice a day.
Fine for me on Pie. I turned the screen down to half brightness and it got over 7 hours of screen on time with 30% battery left.

Associate

No issues here. Charged it 36hrs ago. Made 5 calls, a few texts and about 90 mins of browsing/apps. 64% remaining.

Associate
No issues here. Charged it 36hrs ago. Made 5 calls, a few texts and about 90 mins of browsing/apps. 64% remaining.
Me too ... No battery issues for me - if anything battery
use is reduced now and no issues lasting all day with plenty of charge left. Currently almost 12 hours since removed from charger today and still 70% left.

Soldato
I'm completely out of ideas on fixing this - not sure what's causing the issue for me :( Might try another factory reset and just run it with stock apps for a few days.

Try turning off the adaptive battery and adaptive screen brightness functions, I see lots of people on XDA with Nokia advising this as they are bugged and cause heavy drain, There are also lots of hidden apps from someone called Evenwell which run in the background draining slowly, the only way to remove though is through ADB.

Associate
Sorted it this weekend - It's the 5Ghz network it was connected to at home - I found without wifi on it was lasting ages again, so then tried it just on the old 2.4Ghz one I keep on for old stuff - no problem, back to 2 day+ battery life.

Associate
Evening,

Anyone know who still has these available? . Size and spec wise they'd suit my sister who's after a new mobile. Still at a reasonable price point too if that's possible.

Thanks

Associate
Anyone else having bluetooth issues after upgrading to pie?
No matter what I try it will not connect to my Parrot device in the car. Tried deleting all network devices saved, cleared bluetooth cache & factory reset. Nothing is working...really dont want to have to roll it back.

Back
Top Bottom