**********The 'Official' Nokia Lumia 1520 Thread*******;)

Soldato
Android's sensitivity isn't an issue for him but Nokia's iirc is turned up for the glove wearing user / double tap.

As for the Apps, call it a D'oh moment for him... for now.

Soldato
Come on...im happy with the little things like some of the more hidden settings as you see in my initial response, but not being able to tap the "Apps word" to get into the right part of the store...jesus.

Or go into basic settings for screen sensitivity?

The question regarding the store is simply that i do not want to buy apps on one part, only to have it not carry over to a new windows phone if i ever change. Some apps appear to be in both nokia and the main apps bit so i was just a little concerned with the fragmentation.

As for the sensitivity issue, i went to the settings and saw that it was on normal, not on the 'high' that is meant to glove wearers and there is no 'low' setting, but thanks for being an ass.

Yes i own the phone, but its on contract with o2 not sim free, so it does indeed come with a lot of stuff pre-installed on it, from both nokia and o2 apparently.

Soldato
The apps in Marketplace are just different section, all your apps are under WP Marketplace. Nokia do make and get brand specific apps, thus they have their own section.

O2/EE/Network have a section to promote specific apps, which are all from the same apps in the marketplace. Not fragmented nor separated.

Soldato
Keep the question coming jubei, I'm sure someone will keep answering and help - just don't judge it before you know where things are yet. I'm assuming your previous phone is android? It took people time before they gotten used to where is where, what is what, same with anything new.

No point bashing it after a couple of days use.

Appreciate it man, and i already love it despite the few issues so no worries there. I love the look of the device and the big screen, and its nice to have a change from android.

But yes coming from android and having never owned an xbox i am finding some of the stuff on the phone confusing. Like why do i have xbox games as well as store games, are they separate for some reason or can i remove this xbox games thing?

What is the nokia account in settings that it wants me to log into and should i do it as it seems to want a bunch of permissions?

N yes as i said the sensitivity is dodgy, and its not there all the time i can just be scrolling and suddenly it will open something up despite my phone touch being set to normal, definitely seems like a bug.

Anyway appreciate the help, n for the guy thats getting hacked off with me, just dont reply and leave it for others that are willing to help. Yes i could trial and error a lot of it but being new to wp i have no idea what i can balls up on the phone so i really dont want to screw anything up before i get to grips with it.

Soldato
The apps in Marketplace are just different section, all your apps are under WP Marketplace. Nokia do make and get brand specific apps, thus they have their own section.

O2/EE/Network have a section to promote specific apps, which are all from the same apps in the marketplace. Not fragmented nor separated.

I see cheers, so it is only if i were to move from a nokia phone which these days doesnt seem to be viable for windows phone anyway, i will have access to the nokia apps? Have you put 8.1 on your phone, do you get to keep the nokia apps with it?

Reason i ask is that i was under the impression that nokia had the best satnav across all mobiles etc.

Associate
I see cheers, so it is only if i were to move from a nokia phone which these days doesnt seem to be viable for windows phone anyway, i will have access to the nokia apps? Have you put 8.1 on your phone, do you get to keep the nokia apps with it?

Reason i ask is that i was under the impression that nokia had the best satnav across all mobiles etc.
Nokias Sat nav (here drive) is available across all windows phones now not just Nokias. All nokia apps work fine with 8.1, you will only not be able to download them if you move to a samsung device or similar where you will have access to Samsung apps instead. Nokias are the best windows phones though so stick with them :D

Soldato
I have got WP8.1 on mine, and enjoying it. Might be worth reading up about it before doing it as you're still new, the 'beta' issues might put you off before you realise how Metro works.

Nokia's Here Drive is good, but I'm with Orange/EE and I get free Navigon UK with it. I actually prefer Navigon to Drive. The 12 months I've used Drive, it's simple, accurate and the speed check is definitely useful if you frequent on roads that keeps changing speed.

With regards to Xbox Games, it's just a special selection of games that gives 'Achievements' to playing and completing certain challenges on those games with Xbox ribbon.

Otherwise, nothing different about them. As you don't play on the Xbox, I suspect it'll not matter, just get games that you enjoy, regardless of Xbox or no Xbox.

Soldato
Anyway appreciate the help, n for the guy thats getting hacked off with me, just dont reply and leave it for others that are willing to help. Yes i could trial and error a lot of it but being new to wp i have no idea what i can balls up on the phone so i really dont want to screw anything up before i get to grips with it.

Really?...see my early responses to you, if it was the more finite detailed stuff fine, everything else is a really simple search away or a Youtube vid displaying and showing you everything.

Soldato
did not know that wp were that difficult to manage...

You should have read the questions on Android when iOS was out first.

It's how one is being used to one then going over to another expecting the same, that's where difficulty arise. WP is actually fairly easy - at least my mum from a feature phone got on with WP8 like wildfire as opposed to her dapple with Samsung Wizzed up android.

Soldato
Its annoying peolpe cant adapt, its why we have got stuck with the same boring Action Centre pulling from the top, cause its what the others are doing.

Soldato
Its annoying peolpe cant adapt, its why we have got stuck with the same boring Action Centre pulling from the top, cause its what the others are doing.

To be honest, I really can't think of any other place to put it.

Yes we can have a tile but it'll not be as smooth as a drop down, then swiping away unwanted notification e.t.c.

Does go against the whole WP setup where 1 thumb can do all the business... I a longer right thumb!

Man of Honour
Just disable all notifications, I don't understand why people want it. They're utterly pointless, or perhaps you heed 100+ apps until it gets useful'.
Most things show on glance and lock screen, then tiles have at least numbers by them if not more info. So I just don't get why you would need or use one. And that's in all platforms.

However thank god for the separate volumes, and actually parallax start I thought I wouldn't use, but I do and wouldn't want to go back.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest, I really can't think of any other place to put it.

Yes we can have a tile but it'll not be as smooth as a drop down, then swiping away unwanted notification e.t.c.

Does go against the whole WP setup where 1 thumb can do all the business... I a longer right thumb!

It was originally going to be Swipe Right on the home screen, but they thought it would be to hard for people not to be able to pick up and use from the other OS's.

Soldato
It was originally going to be Swipe Right on the home screen, but they thought it would be to hard for people not to be able to pick up and use from the other OS's.

Swipe right makes a lot more sense, certainly for a bigger phone like this where you cant do the pulldown with one hand.

I have never needed notifications myself really but it doesnt hurt to have them.

Soldato
The reason it is from the top is it can be used at any point in the OS. For instance if you were in Internet Explorer and you swiped right, all it would do is change web page and not bring up the action centre.

As for the O2 customisation that is on there;

Boot up screen - Bought from O2, nothing you can do here.
Lockscreen wallpaper - Can be changed from settings
O2 apps - Press and hold to uninstall
Blue tile colour - Can be changed in settings
O2 bookmarks - Press and hold to delete
SIM lock - Nothing you can do here

That really is all there is to it. Nothing else has been changed. There is no 'bloat'.

For the sensitivity issue, if the sensitivity is already on 'normal' under touch settings, then please make sure the phone is on the latest software from settings.

With regards to the store. Whether you choose and app from the Nokia section, the O2 section, or the app section, they all come from the MSFT store. The Nokia and O2 section are there purely to promote and make it easier to find their own apps. Simple.

For YouTube I recommend Metrotube or YouTube HD.

Hope this helps clear a few things up. Enjoy your new phone.

Soldato
The reason it is from the top is it can be used at any point in the OS. For instance if you were in Internet Explorer and you swiped right, all it would do is change web page and not bring up the action centre.

I wouldnt say thats the reason, you can scoll down your webpage etc with no issues, as you can "flick" back and forth for the gestures in the middle of the screen.

In fact if you are pulling down the Action Centre you practicaly have to have half your thumb off the top of the screen to activate it, swiping from the hard edge on the left would have been the same character in action, and you would have got a Metro style "flip".

It was talked about how they had to keep some things the the same from previous OS's for new adopters.

Soldato
How 'precious' do i need to be with the lens on the back of this? I dont use cases on my phones and they always stay mint, my nexus 4 is unmarked after i got it on release. But with the lens poking out of the back of this i worry about putting it down on hard surfaces lol. Is it actually that fragile or am i fine to just plonk it down wherever (within reason).

Soldato
Safe enough without going overboard, though the hump might give a bit more worry, the surround plastic is solid, and the outer lens is really just a cover ( not an actual working lens).

Put it this way, over 18 months with a 920, never gave a f and it still looking like new without ever using a case ever on it.

Soldato
The plastic is ever so slightly raised to help protect it. So long as you're not putting it down on concrete and dragging it along you should be ok. You sound as though you're pretty careful anyway, so just carry on doing what you're doing. I've found the only way to scratch glass like on the Lumias is via pressure anyway, so so long as it isn't pushed down into the surface or dragged along you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom