• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
"Huang says he expects to be able to run up to eight discrete GPUs in a single machine, rather than today's limit of four."

This throws me a bit - how?

what context is the quote from, where did you read it?

he could have been referring either to explicit multi adaptor in DX12 (so would be entirely based on Dev support) or NVLink, which is IBM system compatible only, so HPC or maybe high end workstation, its not a gamer thing

Soldato
there zotac cards picture floating about looks not so bad , hopefully hybrid cards will be out soon as well

edit:

ZOTAC-GeForce-GTX-1080-PGF-Series.jpg

source: http://videocardz.com/59857/zotac-teases-geforce-gtx-1080-pgf-edition-and-new-firestorm

Soldato
Summary of 1080 cards so far :

galax - Ergh, what is that

Zotac - Better than Galax, but still do not like the look of it, why plastic backplate?

Reference, sorry FOUNDERS edition - Looks nice but probably won't be as good as custom cards.

Gigabyte - Hopefully the same as the 980ti cooler but they improve those fans that make odd pulsating noise, maybe all triple fan coolers do that I don't know. Looks like it will be the best one.

Last edited:
Associate
"Huang says he expects to be able to run up to eight discrete GPUs in a single machine, rather than today's limit of four."

This throws me a bit - how?

I wonder what the motherboard would look like for that?

Just imagine Kaapstad, his wallet would start taking an even bigger hit when the new Titans come out. Poor fella will have to up his expense from £4000 to £8000 each time a new titan card came out. lol :p

Soldato
I wonder what the motherboard would look like for that?

Just imagine Kaapstad, his wallet would start taking an even bigger hit when the new Titans come out. Poor fella will have to up his expense from £4000 to £8000 each time a new titan card came out. lol :p

ASUS X99 WS-E (my board) 7 PCI-E 16X that can run all at 16X ;)

Soldato
Absolute madness. This is not what we want! How about 8 cores on the one GPU. THAT is what we want.

If they put 8 cores on one GPU, some people would still want as many as you could fit/have in a build... Its all irrelevant really, whatever the 'top end' is some of us will always want more and if we have the money then why not.

Caporegime
Turns out the DOOM footage using Vulcan, was running on a TX.

With a GeForce GTX 1080, DOOM was shown running at a frame rate of 200FPS, signifying what the world’s fastest GPU can bring to the table in terms of raw performance in combination with the Vulkan API. Unfortunately, it seems like id Software misplaced their GeForce GTX 1080 at the event, so we’re stuck with direct feed footage captured on a GeForce Titan X.

http://wccftech.com/doom-gtx-vulcan-graphics-api-smooth-gameplay/

Soldato
Gigabyte - Hopefully the same as the 980ti cooler but they improve those fans that make odd pulsating noise, maybe all triple fan coolers do that I don't know. Looks like it will be the best one.

No, they don't. Could be down to an overzealous fan controller setting, e.g. it has a speed bump at a certain temp and when the temp is around that point it keeps speeding up and slowing down.

If so a custom curve should sort it out?

Associate
Soldato
No, they don't. Could be down to an overzealous fan controller setting, e.g. it has a speed bump at a certain temp and when the temp is around that point it keeps speeding up and slowing down.

If so a custom curve should sort it out?

I had a G1 970, and ended up returning it because the fans were annoying the hell out of me, on the G1 970 gigabyte did not have the 0db fan and the minimum fan speed was 1700rpm when idle! It was not too bad in games but did make a strange pulsating noise... maybe they have sorted that out with the newer ones I don't know.

Don't know the founders edition might be ok because at least the noise that the reference coolers make is ok as long as it does not go over about 65%, have to see what they say in the reviews. But if they use an improved version of the titan X cooler, on the 180w 1080, it might be ok.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I had a G1 970, and ended up returning it because the fans were annoying the hell out of me, on the G1 970 gigabyte did not have the 0db fan and the minimum fan speed was 1700rpm when idle! It was not too bad in games but did make a strange pulsating noise... maybe they have sorted that out with the newer ones I don't know.

Don't know the founders edition might be ok because at least the noise that the reference coolers make is ok as long as it does not go over about 65%, have to see what they say in the reviews. But if they use an improved version of the titan X cooler, on the 180w 1080, it might be ok.

I think some GB cards don't have the thermal interface material as well applied as others or something causing the fan to run more aggressively - I've a fair amount of experience with the WF3 design and when it is working properly it is pretty close to inaudible upto around the 60% fanspeed mark unless you shove your head right in the case beside it. But now and again you get people who report like you do so I'm guessing quality control isn't quite ideal.

Back
Top Bottom