Poll: The Official OcUK EU Referendum Exit poll (and results discussion thread)

How did you vote in the EU Referendum?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 861 53.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 763 47.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm not too hot on this sort of thing so help me out here, but if Scotland became independent, how long would it take for them to negotiate entry into the EU, would they have to take up the euro and wouldn't they suffer very badly during the time that they are neither in the UK or the EU?

Like most things, nobody really knows what would happen.

It would come down to what they could negotiate.

Soldato
I'm not too hot on this sort of thing so help me out here, but if Scotland became independent, how long would it take for them to negotiate entry into the EU, would they have to take up the euro and wouldn't they suffer very badly during the time that they are neither in the UK or the EU?

Up to 15 years. That was the timeframe quoted by the EU during the Scottish referendum campaign.

Remember that the EU would be very hostile to Scotland joining because of the problems in Catalonia, Galicia, Northern Italy and others.

Soldato

I can't see how Scotland can join the EU without accepting the Euro, unless the EU give them some kind of pass on one of their core tenants to screw us over.

Salmond tried to say they wouldn't be leaving if they could get a vote in before we formerly leave the EU and so wouldn't need to rejoin but can't see how that would work. They would be a new country and can't inherit their status from another state that is pulling out.

Caporegime
Brexit_is_the_Right_Way.png

Caporegime
Up to 15 years. That was the timeframe quoted by the EU during the Scottish referendum campaign.

Remember that the EU would be very hostile to Scotland joining because of the problems in Catalonia, Galicia, Northern Italy and others.

They couldn't go it alone for 15 years. They would have been on the bones of their arses now if they had won the last independence referendum.

Soldato
Except its not in thierbinterest at all.

They penalise the uk they punich thier own industry.

At a time theyre asking thier people fkr more money to make yp for the lost uk money theyre also going ro be going "yeah your jobs wages and businesses are also gonna suffer cause we want ro make a point".

Thats gonna drive more countries out than keep them in

It Is though. As a politician would you take a hit to protect the structure or would you say sod it and risk the economic fallout of a disintegrated structure. Economically, a small hit is better than a larger one. The EU countries took a hit with sanctions against Russia(France-ships, Germany - numerous, Poland and other east Europeans milk, cheese fruit and other agriculture). So what would be the difference? It also comes down to whether these countries would allow a referendum. It is not part of some countries makeup unlike the Swiss or the UK.

Soldato
Because being frank here, most people I know who have had 30-40 years of exposure barely seem to understand the mechanics of the EU, how it worked or even how many nations it may have covered. Now of course this could be me just meeting a shed load of people seemingly all being oblivious, but I doubt it.

I guess it goes back to the initial comment you made of how if my younger generation was exposed to that many years of the EU then we would want to leave, honestly I doubt it, some would but I think firm majority would want to remain.

I think being born when we are already part of it and now knowing anything else may skew our perception and in turn is something the older generation may dislike seeing it evolve from what it initially started as, but I for one was happy with the EU as it is mostly.

Millions of Joey Essex's generation out there who haven't got the first idea about how party leaders are, so don't try and give me 'the old know nothing' argument. Come on, the young are terribly disinterested with politics, maybe not your friends but most are.

History shows that that those with most experience of the EU voted to leave, I think by the time your generation got to middle age you'd feel the same. I see no reason to over-turn the demographics.

You're a graduate, so am I. We're not really that representative, even with mass access to HE we're in a minority - there's many more young people and middle aged people who won't have any access to Erasmus, or gap years...

Your final point is an excellent one, the over 60s signed up to a common market. Regrettably, the project from the outset was always about the creation of an EU super-state. They ruined a great idea.

The EU is failing badly, it is falling apart, you can't believe at your age especially that this country's only way forward was as a part of of a failed project?

You've more confidence in your country than that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom