***The Official OcUK Lego Thread***

Soldato
Don't all the lego bricks actually say lego on them and the fake stuff doesn't?

yeah mostly, but not a lot you can do if you buy bulk lots, i was reading the other day about a guy who purchased a few thousand 1 x 4 shiny grey parts for a runway he found around 10% were bulked out with fakes

i know i am quite vocal about this, but people don't see the long term implications of this. as 90% of sets purchased fake or real end up in a ice cream tub mixed up

Last edited:
Caporegime
yeah mostly, but not a lot you can do if you buy bulk lots, i was reading the other day about a guy who purchased a few thousand 1 x 4 shiny grey parts for a runway he found around 10% were bulked out with fakes

i know i am quite vocal about this, but people don't see the long term implications of this. as 90% of sets purchased fake or real end up in a ice cream tub mixed up

It's one thing to intentionall buy a Lepin but quite another to get it mixed up in the real stuff. Which I am sure we all agree we do not want it happen.

Of course, I could say "don't buy used, don't buy tubs" which I don't, but that's hardly the point.

Caporegime
Its not Lego themselves that have inflated the prices of the old UCS sets though, its the popularity and people profiteering from it. Don't get me wrong Lego do make loads of money but they do have an element of licencing, research, royalties, other over heads etc to take into account for the price of their sets.

Lepin literally copy everything so are probably charging packaging/brick cost plus whatever profit they want. They are the reason i can't buy just bulk collections of Lego on eBay anymore as my OCD can't handle the fact there could be fake bricks in there... :p

Oh I I know it isn't lego. I'm glad the prices go up as what I buy will never go down in value

Yeah I completely don't agree with mixing it up. I'll only buy brand new in box sets anyway. I've only just started buying but can clearly see the potential to scam. I wanted to buy a ucs set out of production but am not sure how (or if I can) avoid a fake

Last edited:
Caporegime
So, in response to Jim and Ray, if lupin are breaking the law show me evidence of the successful prosecution or ruling against them.
You can't because there hasn't been one despite lego actively pursuing legal action. Ergo not illegal. Yes we know why...but that doesn't change the fact they haven't been found to be breaking any law.

Caporegime
So, in response to Jim and Ray, if lupin are breaking the law show me evidence of the successful prosecution or ruling against them.
You can't because there hasn't been one despite lego actively pursuing legal action. Ergo not illegal. Yes we know why...but that doesn't change the fact they haven't been found to be breaking any law.

I have already stated, there are no successful prosecution in the U.K. is because they are based out of China. Just like Apple can't sue people opening fake Apple Stores in china.

The product is legal (legal might be the wrong word, but tolerated) in China due to their lax copyrights gut laws, but illegal in pretty much everywhere else in the world, including in the U.K.

There are no prosecution in the UK because they are based out of China.

I feel like we are going round in circles.

Last I check, you don't live in China do you?

Let's put it this way.

You can buy cannabis in Amsterdam, try bring some back to the UK.

Last edited:
Associate
What copyright has been broken? the brick shape is not copyrighted. Lego's copyright extends to their branding not to their bricks. they lost that case which is why megablocks and Kreeo can make their kits.

What Lepin do is very different to counterfitting goods and trying to sell them as real such as a fake Gucci bag. The brand Gucci is protected. Their individual designs arent. High street stores sell similar if not direct copies of high fashion items straight after they are released at fractions of the price. they do it under their own brand so its not a fake. its imitation.

whilst i disagree with you saying its illegal, i dont doubt what they do is immoral as they avoid the design stage but as Lego do not sell a UCS SSD, what other options are there for people who want one? Pay £800 and get a 2nd hand one that may be Lepin anyway or just buy direct? If Lego gave an option to buy older kits i would. they dont so i cant.

Caporegime
What copyright has been broken? the brick shape is not copyrighted. Lego's copyright extends to their branding not to their bricks. they lost that case which is why megablocks and Kreeo can make their kits.

What Lepin do is very different to counterfitting goods and trying to sell them as real such as a fake Gucci bag. The brand Gucci is protected. Their individual designs arent. High street stores sell similar if not direct copies of high fashion items straight after they are released at fractions of the price. they do it under their own brand so its not a fake. its imitation.

whilst i disagree with you saying its illegal, i dont doubt what they do is immoral as they avoid the design stage but as Lego do not sell a UCS SSD, what other options are there for people who want one? Pay £800 and get a 2nd hand one that may be Lepin anyway or just buy direct? If Lego gave an option to buy older kits i would. they dont so i cant.

The design.

Soldato
I have already stated, there are no successful prosecution in the U.K. is because they are based out of China. Just like Apple can't sue people opening fake Apple Stores in china.

The product is legal (legal might be the wrong word, but tolerated) in China due to their lax copyrights gut laws, but illegal in pretty much everywhere else in the world, including in the U.K.

There are no prosecution in the UK because they are based out of China.

I feel like we are going round in circles.

Last I check, you don't live in China do you?

Let's put it this way.

You can buy cannabis in Amsterdam, try bring some back to the UK.

I wonder what will happen once Lego open their new base in China? Or will China still not care!?! lol

Associate
The design.

The design isnt copyrighted though. That is the point. If anything the only people who can have any claim are the IP holders which in the case of Star Wars is Disney. But as Lepin dont use Star Wars branding they would have to prove it ikn court which is what Lego is trying to do. For now they haven't and it is at most a grey area. Lepin have been careful not to touch anything covered by a recognised copyright or trademark.

Associate
However, universal awareness that creative products deserve better protection is fortunately increasing.In the LEGO Group, we believe that any original product design should be protected against copying for as long as it is produced and marketed. And that it should be possible to stop such copying and other infringements easily. We also believe that designs, company names and trademarks should not be used in unrelated settings without the owner's consent. Each year, our legal department handles hundreds of incidents involving infringement of our rights, keeps track of developments worldwide and regularly brings infringers to court, making sure that consumers can have confidence that anything bearing the LEGO Group's trademarks or characteristic product features is a LEGO brand product. This is in the best interest not only of our company but also of consumers, primarily children, all over the world.For that purpose, we have defined attitudes and practices intended to secure fair competition and fair dealing towards consumers. Some of them we can - and do - enforce by legal action. Some of them, we wish could be enforced where breaches occur.

Excerpt from Lego statement on counterfitting and copyright. They themselves say they have interest in protecting their original product whilst it is "produced and marketed" so how then can they ever claim to protect a set that is not longer made or marketed? Lepin exists in a land of grey. It is an alternative and if its not sold as Lego then I cannot see how Lego can claim it is counterfit.

I fully agree that they take an easy way out and morally their production of current sets could be seen negatively but for older kits that are no longer produced, marketed or developed and in some cases are more than 10 years OOP, I have no problem with them.

Caporegime
The design isnt copyrighted though. That is the point. If anything the only people who can have any claim are the IP holders which in the case of Star Wars is Disney. But as Lepin dont use Star Wars branding they would have to prove it ikn court which is what Lego is trying to do. For now they haven't and it is at most a grey area. Lepin have been careful not to touch anything covered by a recognised copyright or trademark.

When you write a piece of music, it is copyrighted.
When you take a photo, it is copyrighted.

That alone means that manual is copyrighted.

And the design of the Millennium Falcon cannot be mistaken for anything else. The design of the Lego Porsche cannot be mistaken for anything else. The on screen likeness or the real life version of both counter part are copyrighted, the lego version, the way they have DESIGNED to put it together is copyrighted…it is in that manual.

Of course, feel free to buy a bag of bricks and build a Porsche as you see fit, there is nothing stopping you doing that in a personal capacity. The minute you start selling it, the minute you list it as Porsche 911, or list it as Millennium Falcon. That is where it crosses the line.

No doubt you'll say "I'll just download the manual off online" but then would you buy a bag of bricks that isn't marked, labels and sold as "millennium falcon" if it weren't?

Last edited:
Associate
well now added the fifth wheel moc to my 8258 truck.

Just unsure to spend out on the moc goose neck trailer to sit the motorized excavator 8043 i just ordered.

Also ordered the Porsche but no clue where to put it.Now how to tell the wife....

Soldato
In Smyths toys, they sell Oxford brick sets which when you see on display in store are so close to Lego its almost Lepin. That is in a main UK highstreet store.

Having a clear out and found some new pirate sets in my loft which are going up for sale as have no need to keep them. Love the pirates but have enough 80s ones and mini figs to keep me happy.

mCsTUZk.jpg

Soldato
Our Lego Dimensions collection

32294226042_230b087f71_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom