***The Official OcUK Lego Thread***

Soldato
Felt a bit dirty yesterday after ordering my 1st lepin star wars. My son wanted the at-at but its discontinued. 10178 is the set, i'm simply not paying the £700 going rate especially when its
going to a 3rd party and not to lego themselves. Lets see if its any good when it get here.

Yeah my son wanted driving lessons but i could not afford them so i just purchased a fake license for him. Did not want him to miss out and all

Caporegime
I only really buy star wars, but I don't think there's much worth getting below 50. The sets are just too small.

Even the tie interceptor is 40+ which is only 500 pieces. Anything less and it's too quick a build for me

I prefer sets 700+ pieces. Which unfortunately I 60+

Also, these are non lego store prices.

Soldato
I wouldn't be concerned taking money off lego lol. Can you imagine the profit margin they make.

And like you said lego themselves won't see it anyway.

If I was buying for kids I'd absolutely get lepin

The profits aren't *that* high. Their mouldings are ludicrously costly and the quality control extensive. They're not just pumping out plastic. They have to very carefully calculate if they can make each set as the costs are so tight, would they be able to charge what they'd need to charge to make money back?

Associate
The licensing costs are also very high for Lego, its especially noticeable with the Disney and Star Wars sets. Compare the cost of some sets from City or Creator with an equivalent number of pieces set from any licensed range and you will see a huge difference. The new Assembly Square at £180 and 4000 pieces seems really good value in comparison to something like the Hoth Echo Base set at £230.

On another note, I've nearly got all the current modular buildings for my city. I may have to go to Lepin for the ones I missed, Town Hall and Fire Station :(

Soldato
Anyways built the at-at and the components feel the same. The clear parts aren't as clear but you would struggle to tell them appart. The bricks pass a blind test when compared to the original. Would I buy again? I am tempted.

Soldato
The profits aren't *that* high. Their mouldings are ludicrously costly and the quality control extensive. They're not just pumping out plastic. They have to very carefully calculate if they can make each set as the costs are so tight, would they be able to charge what they'd need to charge to make money back?

Lego stated they made 4.7billion 2*1 white plates last year.
This was their most produced plate/brick.
I am not certain their cost margins can be that tight when they would know specifically how much each brick plate costs to manufacture, look at brick numbers in build, add a bespoke tem to larger sets so they are not easily replicated, factor that in, add profittititis.

Caporegime

https://www.ft.com/content/fec670bc-df96-11e5-b7fd-0dfe89910bd6

"Lego has long been the world’s most profitable toymaker, recording an operating margin of 34.2 per cent. "

That is an amazing level of profit. Outstanding infact.

Caporegime
I now have a lengthening list of star wars sets.
I think it's becoming a problem. A problem I justify by saying.. 'it holds its value at worst'

Tie Fighter (ucs)
Poes x wing
Krennic's shuttle
Tie striker
Imperial shuttle
Kylo rens shuttle

And I'm pretty sure I'll pick up super star destroyer soon

Back
Top Bottom