1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OcUK Vista Licencing Questions FAQ Thread

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Burnsy2023, 3 Jan 2007.

1. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

Right, to stop people asking the same questions over and over again in loads of different threads, READ the thread first, if you have a question or need clarfication post and it'll be answered ASAP.

Please lets not clog up the Windows forum with endless threads.

When the thread is finished, the answered will be added to the sticky.

Thanks

Burnsy

Please note:

FAQ:

No, because if you change the MB in the machine you revoke the OEM licence and therefore you don't have the right to use the upgrade without a qualifying product.

You can install Vista with an upgrade disc without needed a current install of XP, you will need an OEM or retail disc and possibly the product key.

You can upgrade your system if you have an OEM licence, however, the OEM licence is linked to the machine it was sold with. So, with all the upgrades you may wish to carry out, when is your PC no longer the original PC and when is it a totally new machine? Well to simplify things, Microsoft has defined the term ‘device’ to have changed when the motherboard has been replaced, therefore any motherboard upgrade would be deemed a new machine, which would require a new licence. In the past, Microsoft has been quite lenient in their policy of giving out activation codes. With Vista, Microsoft has made a firm stance about not giving out activation codes to people who have violated the EULA. So in future you may be denied activation which would render the product useless. Retail bypasses this problem as the licence is not tied to the machine it was installed on, and consequently you can change the motherboard and still have a fully licensed machine.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2007
  2. Caged

Capodecina

I'll get in first by saying just because it activates doesn't mean it's legal.

3. NathanE

Capodecina

Microsoft has publicly acknowledged there is a bit of a "grey area" with regards to PC enthusiasts. They recommend to speak with the human operator and you should be reactivated just fine.

4. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

True, but the EULA has clarified a lot of things that we already knew in XP. There isn't really that much of a grey area.

Burnsy

5. Ronaldo

Wise Guy

Burnsy do you work for MS or are you endorsed?

or you just trying to keep people on the right path and keep them legal?

just out of interest

6. Caged

Capodecina

I think it's more to keep people informed. Assuming that you can do the same things you could with XP with regards to moving the OEM license between machines is dangerous, because there's nothing stopping MS from refusing to reactivate you.

7. OzyOly

Mobster

Answer from burnsy2023;

No, because if you change the MB in the machine you revoke the OEM licence and therefore you don't have the right to use the upgrade without a qualifying product.

You can install Vista with an upgrade disc without needed a current install of XP, you will need an OEM or retail disc and possibly the product key

Last edited: 3 Jan 2007
  8. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

No, I don't work for MS, however, I am responsible for licencing at work and I do have conversations with both licencing experts from our suppliers and Microsoft when needed.

Because I need to be so strict at work, I tend to carry this over to the forums and at the very least people should know what is legal and what isn't even if they do violate the EULA afterwards.

Burnsy

9. OzyOly

Mobster

Answer:

M$ are going to be a lot more strict with OEM from now on. Obtaining a new product code for OEM after an upgrade isn't legal and you shouldn't be given one.
    Where as you may have been able to blag you was into getting a new licence for you OEM XP after an upgrade, vista is a whole new challange. Chances are you won't be able to get another code for reactivation with vista OEM, but time will tell.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2007
  10. dayloon

Wise Guy

To be perfectly honest, as long as MS reactivated my OEM copy after an upgrade, i couldn't care less whether or not it violated the EULA

11. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

That's up to you, but the point of this thread is that you know that you may be refused activation.

And no talk of piracy please.

Burnsy

12. Ronaldo

Wise Guy

there was no talk of piracy from him :confused:

13. pcknight

PermaBanned

Piracy was not mentioned. My mate has an OEM XP and has change a few components over time and has always had it reactivated by Microsoft, no problem what-so-ever!

14. dayloon

Wise Guy

Piracy ? Who mentioned piracy ?

15. OzyOly

Mobster

16. Ronaldo

Wise Guy

if MS activate the windows then it cant have violated the EULA or ms wont have activated it.

now weather the guy on the phone is a idiot or not he is repesenting ms when providing the activation code.

17. OzyOly

Mobster

I read on a site that Vista ultimate doesn't require activation, is this true of the OEM version or even of the retail version?
    Ofcourse they will require product keys but will they need activating?

18. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

Read the sticky. There is a fundamental difference between having illegal software and the activation process. You can still have activated software whilst running illegal and therefore pirated software.

Burnsy

19. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

I am unsure of this and I will clarify with MS. However, you most likely read that from Paul Thurrott's site, in which case it's likely to be BS. I highly doubt MS distribute Ultimate without product activation.

In fact, I'd bet money on it.

Burnsy

20. Ronaldo

Wise Guy

i wouldn't class that as pirated. again if ms activate it, to me thats legal.