The Official OcUK Vista Licencing Questions FAQ Thread

Associate
ahh , I see , so what should I get, if I get an upgrade, I take it I have to install XP to install Vista, which has always been a pain in the butt with upgrade installs, you basically have to install the OS twice, yeah good one MS!

hmmm, I take it that unless i'm going to upgrade my PC (Mobo to be precice) sometime soon, which I won't be for @ 5 years now, I might as well get the OEM version, I can't be doing with installing XP first each time I need to install Vista.

Can I install Vista 'Over The Top' of XP , I take it if I bought the Upgrade it would remember all my settings and installed programs, could the same be said with installing OEM on an existing XP machine?

it takes me days to install everything on my machine not to mention installing my games and no doubt loosing my 'save games' files.

would retail offer an upgrade option?

Soldato
1dmf said:
it takes me days to install everything on my machine not to mention installing my games and no doubt loosing my 'save games' files.

Seriously?

I can go from a bank HD to a fully setup Windows installation in under 15 Minutes, and then I can install all my usual apps & Games in under an hour on top.

My usual Games are UT, UT2K4, Quake4,Doom3, HalfLife & stuff, NFSU-U2-MW-Carbon, plus AquaMark, and 3DM03+05+06 and of course all the updates for all the games too.

Apps are StarOffice8, Nimo, Nero, PowerDVD,DVDSanta, TMPGDVDENC, DVD2ONE, NOD32, NOADWARE, AdAware, O&O, Everest, WinAmp, VLC+Codecs, uTorrent, UltraISO,DaemonTools,SpeedFan,nlite,VMWARE.

I think giving it time to make a brew and what-not, Its no more than 2 hours to go from nothing everything.

Admittedly, I use ISO Images of all my apps, and Games, so installing those is near instant in comparison to doing it off DVD/CD, plus most of my stuff, Iinstall loads of it at once, starting the install off on them and then walking away for a few minutes, but any PC no matter how good or bad it is will benefit massively from using ISOs to install Apps instead of the original disks... Windows speed is a lot down to pure luck as the fastest PC I have that installs Windows is my NF7S and Barton box which goes from blank HD to useable Desktop in 11 minutes ( Crikey )

Associate
It is also worth mentioning that if you purchase the RETAIL UPGRADE edition of Vista, you will NOT be able to run your retail XP alongside it.

However, if you by an OEM Vista, although you will not be allowed to change your mobo (which you say you are unlikely to do anyway), you WILL be allowed to dual boot this alongside your old version of XP, or even transfer your XP to another machine.

Soldato
Ive had a quick look, but not found the answer on this, but...

RETAIL XP Installed...

UPGRADE VISTA

Now, should I need to move VISTA to another system entirely, then in theory, I could do this couldnt I?

Because the upgrade is exactly that... An Upgrade to vista from XP and since thats RETAIL and of course the VISTA UPGRADE is NOT OEM.

I dont have Vista, wont have and dont think I would ever want to so its purely a thought.

Man of Honour
OP
FatRakoon said:
Ive had a quick look, but not found the answer on this, but...

RETAIL XP Installed...

UPGRADE VISTA

Now, should I need to move VISTA to another system entirely, then in theory, I could do this couldnt I?

Because the upgrade is exactly that... An Upgrade to vista from XP and since thats RETAIL and of course the VISTA UPGRADE is NOT OEM.

I dont have Vista, wont have and dont think I would ever want to so its purely a thought.

Yes, you could fully transfer XP and Vista to a new machine.

Burnsy

Soldato
Is there anything for the gamer that is offered in Ultimate and not in Premium?. I'm not a business user and I assume that ultimate incorprates the features of business and premium. Is that right? Thanks for the info

Associate
manoz said:
Uh-oh, premium doesn't have support for 2 or more processors. Thanks for that. Ultimate it is then.
That's 2 separate processors, premium supports a single processor with a dual core.

Soldato
Yes, is the same as XP HOME

Home supports 1 Physical CPU but multiple cores.

Vista Supports 2 Physical CPUs with multi-cores

With a 2 physical CPU limit, I hardly thing that its somehting for any ofus to worry about hitting such a limit in the very near future.

With 4 core, and even 8 around the corner, most of us wont even have one for quite some time, and then to buy 2 of such CPUs? - I really do think that only a very small elite of us will have enough money to buy something along those lines.

Associate
My copy of Vista arrived today. :D

It's really for a new system build I'm hoping to do in the next month or so.

Anyone know if I'll be able to install it on a spare hard drive and run it on my current system (but without activating). Then remove it before the activation deadline and install it on my new rig without getting into OEM licensing problems?

Cheers.

Man of Honour
OP
Syphon said:
My copy of Vista arrived today. :D

It's really for a new system build I'm hoping to do in the next month or so.

Anyone know if I'll be able to install it on a spare hard drive and run it on my current system (but without activating). Then remove it before the activation deadline and install it on my new rig without getting into OEM licensing problems?

Cheers.

That'd work.

Burnsy

Back
Top Bottom