**** The Official OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro Thread ****

Permabanned
The camera is again the biggest let down, inconsistent image quality across all three cameras, yes they're different but other devices manage this. The wide-angle camera isn't that wide and results are poor, the 3x optical zoom is comparable to Samsung's 2x when you pixel peep and the main camera is good but needs a lot of work on the software side, especially for HDR.

Add to that the battery drain using the 90z mode it's just not that appealing to me, then consider the lack of water resistance, sdcard slot, wireless charging and the headphone jack and it's just meh, they don't even include the adaptor in the box.

Last edited:
Soldato
The camera is again the biggest let down, inconsistent image quality across all three cameras, yes they're different but other devices manage this. The wide-angle camera isn't that wide and results are poor, the 3x optical zoom is comparable to Samsung's 2x when you pixel peep and the main camera is good but needs a lot of work on the software side, especially for HDR.

Add to that the battery drain using the 90z mode it's just not that appealing to me, then consider the lack of water resistance, sdcard slot, wireless charging and the headphone jack and it's just meh, they don't even include the adaptor in the box.

With the installation of the Google Camera app it'll be improved and the results so far have been pretty decent. Various phones have different strengths and weaknesses on the camera front. Pixel is still ahead but that isn't surprising, their software is ahead of everyone. If camera is all you care about the Pixel 4 will be the way to go.

90Hz obviously increases battery drain, goes without saying. You can't have a higher resolution higher refresh screen without it impacting battery life. Bigger screens and increased refresh rate always impacts battery life on any mobile device. Lack of water resistance rating isn't the same as actual water resistance (which is still to be proven but Dave2D dunked his in water with no issues for an extended period of time). Sure I'll give you the others, I still miss the headphone jack and the lack of an adapter is a pain but they are trying to push their wireless headphones like all brands these days. SD Card expansion would be nice I agree but I think with the up take of Steaming music and cloud storage that 128GB is enough for most people and those where it isn't there is the 256GB option.

Wireless charging is for me a gimmick, never seen the point. It is slow and inefficient. People say it is better than plugging into a cable but its effectively the same thing, both mean you have to have the phone in the same fixed location. At least with wired charging its faster which means it sits in the same place for less time.

Permabanned
With the installation of the Google Camera app it'll be improved and the results so far have been pretty decent. Various phones have different strengths and weaknesses on the camera front. Pixel is still ahead but that isn't surprising, their software is ahead of everyone. If camera is all you care about the Pixel 4 will be the way to go.

90Hz obviously increases battery drain, goes without saying. You can't have a higher resolution higher refresh screen without it impacting battery life. Bigger screens and increased refresh rate always impacts battery life on any mobile device. Lack of water resistance rating isn't the same as actual water resistance (which is still to be proven but Dave2D dunked his in water with no issues for an extended period of time). Sure I'll give you the others, I still miss the headphone jack and the lack of an adapter is a pain but they are trying to push their wireless headphones like all brands these days. SD Card expansion would be nice I agree but I think with the up take of Steaming music and cloud storage that 128GB is enough for most people and those where it isn't there is the 256GB option.

Wireless charging is for me a gimmick, never seen the point. It is slow and inefficient. People say it is better than plugging into a cable but its effectively the same thing, both mean you have to have the phone in the same fixed location. At least with wired charging its faster which means it sits in the same place for less time.

I don't have any wireless chargers in the house, but its handy to have, we have them in work on most desks, some of the coffee shops have them as well, there is something quite satisfying in just putting your phone down on a pad and getting charge without messing around with cables. Could I live without it? Yes, but I would miss it. My primary headphones are wired and they cost around £90, I'm not going the wireless route any time soon.

It's not just about the camera though, it's the whole package, size wise it looks bigger than the Note series and they're bad enough for one handed use, it's possible but it's awkward. I hope they improve the camera software for those that buy the phone, but from my experience with OnePlus they probably won't.

Soldato
You'll probably sooner get a good gcam port but it's the screen that seems to be the stand out feature this year. It is odd not to include wireless charging when going for flagships with the "Pro" moniker, I know OnePlus are all about bang for buck but surely it can't be an expensive feature to install nowadays.

No phone is perfect end of the day and that's the beauty of Android space, we really are spoilt for choice depending what it is exactly that we want from a phone.

EDIT:
If not the OP7 Pro what else right now.

As a general consensus, Pixel 3 has the best software experience and updates along with best single camera solution, Huawei P30 Pro has the best battery life and most versatile camera, Samsung S10 line is probably the best all rounder and has that headphone jack :p

Apart from some Chinese releases, the only big next things are going to be towards the end of summer in shape of Samsung Note 10 and Pixel 4. I mean we do have Sony Xperia 1 coming out on the 30th May but no one is holding their breath for that one.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the OP7 Pro is still the best phone for me, battery seems to be good but not great, but if i want it to be great i can set the phone to 60hz.
I dont care about water proof, i dont care about headphones (3.5mm socket just collect dust on my phones), i like the size of the phone, camera seems just fine for me (better than my Nexus 6P), the only downside is the curved screen really.
The other thing it has going for it, is its still very well priced, the equivalent Pixel 3 XL is near £1000 to the £699 OP7 Pro, so that alone makes me feel i can live with any short comings.

Soldato
Yeah impressive package overall. Love the flip camera, massive battery and stock software. No OLED is a bummer.
Oh yeah didn't see that about the screen, one of the reasons i love OLED is it suits my usage, i like dark screens, black backgrounds and run my brightness nice and low.

Soldato
I think the OP7 Pro is still the best phone for me, battery seems to be good but not great, but if i want it to be great i can set the phone to 60hz.
I dont care about water proof, i dont care about headphones (3.5mm socket just collect dust on my phones), i like the size of the phone, camera seems just fine for me (better than my Nexus 6P), the only downside is the curved screen really.
The other thing it has going for it, is its still very well priced, the equivalent Pixel 3 XL is near £1000 to the £699 OP7 Pro, so that alone makes me feel i can live with any short comings.

3xl @ £599

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ne...locked-sim-free-599-at-laptops-direct-3231024

If not the OP7 Pro what else right now.

Mate 20 x, Honestly people seem to forget this phone exists, it hits on a lot of positives,

5000mAh Battery!
Large 7.2" flat hdr oled display
3.5mm Headphone jack
Loud stereo Atmos speakers
Decent triple camera setup
Upgradable storage
IP53 water resistance

Last edited:
Soldato
Mate 20 x, Honestly people seem to forget this phone exists, it hits on a lot of positives,

5000mAh Battery!
Large 7.2" flat hdr oled display
3.5mm Headphone jack
Loud stereo Atmos speakers
Decent triple camera setup
Upgradable storage
IP53 water resistance
I've kind of been put off Huawei by my Nexus 6P and the way it's switching off at anything around 50%.

Back
Top Bottom