• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Phenom II 920/940 Review/Overclocking Thread **

Caporegime
Another problem AMD have is that AM2 has not been a successful socket. This has resulted in a relatively small (compared to Intel 775) user base that would potentially consider upgrade.

The fact that P2 struggles to beat Intel's older (and comparatively priced) Core2 architecture will mean the pain is not over for AMD.

I'm still on 939.

I resented the fact that only a year (ish) after I switched from Socket A to S939, they went and changed it again.

Wonder how many of us would still be using AMD chips if there were decent quads available for the 939 platform?

Would it work for graphics card makers?

Would we put up with a new PCI-E revamp every other year? If it was incompatible with previous slots?

Soldato
You must have upgraded to socket 939 "late" then, spare a thought for 754 owners...
AM2 had to happen so we could use DDR2 memory, how many people would be happy paying the expensive DDR prices these days? Not many, I'd wager...

Associate
Even this early revision seems well underclocked, I'm quite suprised AMD didn'trelease a 3.2 or 3.3GHz (960) version to be honest?

They wanted the TDP to stay at 125w or lower, so couldnt release any higher stock clocks as they would draw too much power.

Soldato
Hmm I'm sorry, but I don't know the prices for those products in UK..
But here in Canada I can grab a Q6600 for $220, a P2 920 for $320, a P2 940 for $378 or a Q9550 for $390. The prices between Q6600 and 920 are just too far apart, and if I'd ever consider going 940 i'd be too tempted to pick up a Q9550. A Q9300 is $320, Q8200 is $230. These prices are killing me. I wouldn't know what to do if I were out in the market for a CPU.

Sorry to hear the exchange rate there... It seems to be a little bit better here... Just hope Intel have another price decrease across the board =)

Thing is though, the 940 is only $50 more in USA over 920 for an unlocked multi, compare that to the silly price Intel wants for unlocked multi

N.B. I'm using <stripey cat> direct to lookup US prices

Associate
It is nice to see AMD chips that like the cold! They seem to have fixed the IMC problems that caused cold bugs (while Intel seem to be discovering cold bugs now they have IMC).

So far over at XS, I've seen 5.9GHz on ln2 and 5.2GHz on a cascade, so I reckon SS will get about 4.8GHz or so. That's rather fun and brings AMD right back into the game for me.

Back
Top Bottom